Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:42:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat is of interest in a Dev Blog?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What is of interest in a Dev Blog?  (Read 1066 times)
Deckhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »

In religiously keeping my DevBlog up to date, I've found there's not much interest, seems like I'm just talking to myself.

Rather than ask for a critique of my blog, I was wondering what sort of posts make for an interesting dev blog? I ask myself and I found that I only am interested in other blogs that have interesting game mechanics. So, aside from "have an interesting game", what other sorts of things bring you back to someone's dev blog?

Game related? Technical stuff? Concept art?

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:59:59 PM »

For me it depends. Either (usually) I'm interested in the game itself so I'm interested in every aspect of the devlog.

Or the log has a lot of solutions to specific problems, on which it focuses. In this case I'm not at all interested in lists of features added since last entry

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 02:48:01 AM »

It is common to create different types of DevLogs in each every plattform. For example, devs used to put som GIFs and videos at Twitter, Concept Arts at Instagram and a mix of them at forums. I guess it all depends on the plattform you're gonna place your content. Different communication skills but always focused in redirecting users to your Game Page (Steam Page, for example).

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

Dr Jack
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »

The thing to remember about a DevBlog if you want people to read it is that it's a Blog and not just a Log. It's no use simply writing down your progress. That's only likely to be of interest to people who are already invested in your game, and probably not even most of them. You need to write a Blog that is interesting to read in its own right. Don't just say you updated the menus, talk about why they needed doing, or what makes a good menu, or some challenge you encountered implementing it, or the like.

People are going to read your content, and come back for more, if they are enjoying what they read and not otherwise. That means you need to write in an engaging style and that takes skill, work, and thought. It's not easy writing regular high quality content.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic