Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:30:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEdgeFlip . Slide & Solve puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EdgeFlip . Slide & Solve puzzle  (Read 2639 times)
Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »

Hi guys!!

I'm a 3D artist that decided to create my own project in my spare time to free my creativity and personal vision about videogame market.
I want to introduce the game we've been currently working on for the last year and a half .

It's based on the Celtic Mythology. The idea was developed imagine a character is living in a Rubik's cube world, a world where every surface and floor is a tile of different "colour". Players need to slide the tiles to create paths of the same "colour" . The path goes from flat tile to 3D when is all connected , so now the character can move and reach the dungeon exit.  There are keys to pick up, fairies that activate magical totems, buttons to press that move/rotate the tiles, etc….
I use Zelda dungeons as inspiration, combined in a very tactile experience.

The whole game is magical and full of secrets.

Still lot of work to do, but is being a very fun journey.
I will post updates here as we have some levels developed.
Right now , only the first 2 worlds are developed. And still iterating some levels to make them a bit easier :D:D

Cheers!!!

UPDATE (2) (Beta build)
--------------------------

(iOS)
https://testflight.apple.com/join/kSdYMIbg

Install Testflight app
Click link above and you can download it.

(Android)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lume.edgeflip&hl=en

UPDATE
----------------
I think would be interesting if I post here some of the initial ideas and sketches I've been through, so you can see all the creative process and how the idea was born.
It took a while to get into this final art style and also get the core mechanics. Initially my brain was much more focus using "rubik cube" as a reference to build the gameplay (How would be living in a rubik cube world?). So everything was more clean, simple flat colors and geometric shapes.

At some point, the developer asked me to create a story for the game, so I decided to theme the game in the Celtic mythology. The movie "Secret of Kells" became a good reference for the art visuals.
After this visual change, I started adding more detail to the tiles an environment, we developed a shader to give some "crosshatching" style to give a "handpainted" feeling, the backgrounds of the levels are painted using watercolour brushes ,etc...
At this point I also got the idea of all the game being presented like a book players need to read to see the story. All levels are presented like chapters of a magic book, and players need to solve at least 6 levels of 10 in each world to unlock the next chapter (blocked by a magic seal).
Looking for more visual reference for the tiles texture, I found a good reference in the classic top view 2D Zelda games (Link to the past, Oracle of Seasons, etc...), and this open in my mind a new world of ideas for level desing and game mechanics.

I started mixing the initial idea of geometric shapes and Rubik cube, with Zelda dungeons level desing. Adding keys, doors, enemies, switchers, fairies,  etc... all the game started fitting much better all together.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:41:56 PM by Trasno » Logged

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »

Hi guys.

New update. Working on new mechanics and level design. We want each world to have new gameplay mechanics to surprise the players with new stuff.
In this case is the "rotation mechanic"

Open to feedback.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:34:59 AM by Trasno » Logged

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »

Working on new world art (Crystal Palace), in level design and art style.

To animate the Tiles I use a maxscript that I created.
For the environment animations I use morph targets in 3D software , and then export the animated mesh.
Hope you like it guys...:D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:07:12 AM by Trasno » Logged

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:52:12 PM »

I like this a lot! Great so far

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
arturoblanco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:04:53 PM »

Encántame a música e as animacións, bo traballo!   Hand Thumbs Up Left
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »

This looks sooooo friggin' cool!

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:13 AM »

Really neat idea and gorgeous presentation, good work! Looking forward to seeing more. Coffee

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys!!!
I appreciate it a lot. Sometimes I feel I will never finish it, so is good to feel some good vibes  Cheesy Wink

I'm working on levels with enemies now. Enemies can only walk in one color of tiles, and players need to slide tiles to create paths for them and bring them to the "enemy killer" item -red capsule placeholder-, that will kill them when they are close to it.

Also, at the end of each world there is a boss.
Here the gameplay is more arcade and is like a "chess match" between the two. Each boss has a different gameplay mechanic.
I introduce you to Arianrhod, celtic goddess of fate and final boss of Crystal Palace world.

I will keep updating next days with some level desing ideas and tests im currently working on.

Cheers,
Pablo
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:46:35 AM by Trasno » Logged

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »

Hi guys!!! Many improvements in this last days.
New level designs with animation included. I use dummy in the videos for the tiles to hide the puzzles, there are few surprises hidden. :D
We have much more than what I show here but, is jut to show some ideas.

World 3 is almost done (85%). 9 levels done (level design, 3D mesh and animation), boss done (mechanic, level desing, 3Dmodel)
Need to create: 3D animations for boss, visual effects for battle attacks (particles), 1 level more, boss level environment.

Next world is FireWorld. I will start with concept art next week.

Feedback,opinions and critics are welcome.
Cheers!!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:00:43 AM by Trasno » Logged

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »

Hi!!!

Long time focusing on the project....Still stuff to do but many things coming along well.

All the different mechanics for the 7 world are done. There will be 80 levels in total.
Plus, 7 Boss Battles with new mechanic each, that are looking neat Smiley (Ooopss)

https://monosnap.com/file/3CW3W4Y5nIbhCSazvbbjtrnE3PG3tj

Still polishing though but the core is done after so much hard work. So I'm confident the game will be ready soon.
I will be at Casual Connect in London next week (booth 901) so if anyone is around come to play the game and have a talk!!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 10:00:17 AM by Trasno » Logged

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 04:46:37 AM »

you got me messed up telling me the world is a cube so i'll play this

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »

Cool !!! Tell me your thoughts then, i'm very interested Beer! Beer!

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 01:54:44 AM »

New changes !!!

The main changes I'm working on now is to make it easier to understand, creating more introduction levels.
So instead of having only 70 levels, like it was planned, we are creating 140 in total. Having easier ones will help to introduce the mechanic for players.
Aslo another important change is the UX-UI , that is going to be more aligned with other games.
The BookUI that we did seems too confusing for many players.

We are moving the game into a F2P model, and we want to keep creating new content all the time if the game gains some traction.
I think this is a very important change for the game.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:01:49 AM by Trasno » Logged

Trasno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »

*******BETA in the store for Android*******

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lume.edgeflip&hl=en

GO CHECK IT OUT!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic