Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:13:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPath of Adventure - A text-based roguelike, for mobile
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Path of Adventure - A text-based roguelike, for mobile  (Read 3373 times)
Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »

A text-based roguelike, for mobile

Are you ready to fight monsters, crawl dungeons and hoard treasures? Then take the Path of Adventure! Follow it to the end and reveal the mystery…

Words and choices
This is a game of words and choices. Submerge into a world of fantasy and decide how you want to act. Will you enter the skull-cave? When to use magic? And what to buy from the merchant?

Gameplay first
Don’t let all those words fool you – this is a true game! It requires wits and tactics; and some luck. It features:
  • Turn-based combat
  • Procedurally generated dungeons
  • Permadeath
  • Loads of weapons, items and monsters
  • 5 unique playable characters

Easy to learn
Never played a game like this before? Perfect! Just start with the tutorial and continue your way. The intuitive interface and the simple, yet deep mechanics will teach you all you need to know.

Or play the demo in your browser: www.pathofadventure.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:49:39 AM by Keeweed » Logged

Path of Adventure - A text-based roguelike, for mobile
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:31:03 AM »

Just played through the tutorial and my first run, I made it about 15 spaces along the path before getting clobbered.  First impressions are I really like it and look forward to giving it another try.  Some of the encounters I had were really interesting and some of the text made me chuckle.

Spoilers (highlight to reveal)In particular I enjoyed the spider web cave encounter and the reference to Labyrinth.

On the downside I'd say it felt a little heavy on the RNG and light on strategy or planning.  I didn't feel like there was much I could have done differently to prevent the death I had and that I was walking a mostly linear path to whatever conclusion the game had drawn for me without much chance to prepare for what was coming.

All in all though I had a good experience.  Good work.
Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:55:53 AM »

Hi motorherp, thanks for your feedback! It really helps to read how people play and experience it. And what they like and don't.

I agree the RNG is quite heavy at times. It's possible to start out with the wrong gear, not finding anything special and then die at the first boss. That's something I have to smooth out, for sure. Some planning and strategy kicks in later with certain mechanics, like mushrooms and spells. But I agree with you again, there should be more focus on this.

Thanks again!

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:03:34 AM »

3 hours work... 1 extra character (the literal one). Who spots it first?

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 06:46:05 AM »

I've completely neglected to keep up this devlog during the last phase of development... Who, Me? It was quite a ride with fixing the last bugs and tweaking it to near perfection, all while time was pressing. But...

It's done! Path of Adventure is now available on Google Play! Shocked

I'm very happy to have it done and very curious to see what people think of it. Reviews and feedback are very welcome! Thanks all!

Or play the demo in your browser: www.pathofadventure.com

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 07:04:44 AM »

Played the demo tutorial and part of the first adventure. I must say that I am impressed with the level of polish - both visual and in terms of gameplay rules.

Good job!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »

Thanks a lot bryku! Glad to hear it Smiley

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »

A quick recap from the last month or so...

Title illustration
I went scouting for an artist to make a pretty illustration for the game. I felt that would be really important for a game that’s pretty much only text. Being completely new in the field of hiring a freelance artist it was quite a struggle, but I’m happy to have found Annika Maar, who did an amazing job and created an awesome picture.

Finishing the game
After many plays I felt there were a couple of things missing, so I went fixing it. I added another way to get rewards; by taking on small quests of defeating a wraith. Wraiths are interesting because they destroy the weapon that destroys them. So you got to figure out if the promised reward is worth it, or if you have a way of dealing the deathblow with your bare hands.
Another thing is a returning knight that’s gotten himself locked up in some bizarre way. When you unlock him, he’ll give you one of the three consumable items that can’t be bought at merchants; Mana Potion, Tome of Fungi and the Sharpening Stone.
And finally I spend days playing and tweaking the game. It’s unbelievable how many dials and switches there are for tweaking a game when you start looking for them, and how easily they change the entire experience. You have to be careful not to be carried away entirely. The first character is now pretty easy to play, but the last one is so hard I had to give up. And I think that’s a good thing; leaves something for the hardcore players  Ninja

Freemium model
After much internal debate and weighing all the options, I decided I wanted to have a shot at making some money. It’s a dream I have for many years; to live off making games. So, I created a freemium model. You can play it for free until about a third of the story and then you’re kindly requested to make a small purchase to unlock the rest. I’m scared and excited to see how this will work out. It could be the final straw for the already faint changes of success; it could also mean I could do this again without saving up for it for 5 years. On top of the freemium I added a couple of extra purchases to 'catch the whales' as they call it, but only a few.

Android build
And then the scariest part of all: porting it to Android. I got it working within a couple of hours and then spend a couple of weeks making it work like I wanted. And then of course the testing and the variety of devices and Android versions. But, having that icon of your own game sitting there in your home screen is extremely gratifying.

Release
No wait, there’s something far scarier than making the Android version: releasing the Android version. Something inside me just didn’t want to press that evil looking ‘RELEASE TO PRODUCTION’ button. But I fought it, and now it’s there. Out in the open… looking a bit silly... and hopeless...
Anyway, it’s done Smiley

Check out the game on Google Play!

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:34:55 AM »

New update for Android!

- Corrected and improved texts - thanks to Anthony Crockett!
- Improved accessibility; screen readers now read stat icons
- Improved error handling
- Disabled character unlock purchases; unlock new characters by finishing the game
- Added rating request dialog
- Fixed some bugs

And I'm working on an iOS port! So far - installing things on a Mac - it's going great.

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »

iOS port is done! The App Store's ecosystem takes a bit of effort to get used to (to put it mildly) but when it's finally there, it's all worth it. Downloads are doing great, from what you can say after a few days. And it seems the visually impaired community has now definitely picked it up and is very enthusiastic about it. I will improve accessibility a bit more soon and then work on more content. It's a great feeling to see your game finally be played by more than your friends Smiley

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 03:49:15 AM »

I've played it on itch.io!

It's quite interesting, good job :D

Very well produced, as well!

I wonder why it hasn't gotten more traction.
I feel like there is something missing, a promise of what I'm going to be doing, maybe.
text roguelike doesn't really sound interesting Shocked
I'd take a hint from sunless skies and seas, they put their plot foot forward hard in their marketing materials!

You know, this would be quite fun to play on steam, but you'll have to focus on showcasing the plot of the adventures etc.

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 03:05:00 AM »

Rarykos, thanks for playing!

I think you have a valid point there. I've focused on gameplay so much that maybe I overdid that a bit and should've paid more attention to the story / theme. Thanks for those suggestions!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »

Rarykos, thanks for playing!

I think you have a valid point there. I've focused on gameplay so much that maybe I overdid that a bit and should've paid more attention to the story / theme. Thanks for those suggestions!

This is a difficult problem, something I've been thinking about a lot playing storybooks.
Lone Wolf has the best story that I've seen but the worst mechanics! (It's not fun to play digitally or physically.. much better to watch a playthrough).

There's another storybook on Android that unlocks "cards" as you play. Each level is built from the deck of cards so you are seeing new encounters. Fun sense of progression + good world building but it didn't matter from a story perspective. I think they are close to something here if there were more conditionals. For example:

You encounter a Farmer. If you have already killed the rampaging Minotaur, they reward you. If you ran from the Minotaur, they shun you (or sabotage you). You could have a run where you encounter neither Minotaur or Farmer or only 1 and you wouldn't see those combinations. Having events done previously effect later events gives players a sense of agency. If it's done in a somewhat predictable way (deck building works GREAT here -- "I'm late in the game and still haven't seen the farmer so it's ok to run from the Minotaur") this could be cool, much cooler than random "oh I did X and Y happened", which is still cool.

Path of Adventure forgoes emergent story and does so in a good arcade way. Color coded highlights and fast textboxes let me play a couple games to get a feel for the world then speedread only the color coded for an arcade experience.

You have some of the better (maybe best, I remember liking the card game combat but don't remember it being as involved as Path) combat decisions. Having to calculate what to lose on a demon or try to kill with fists, spending low damage weapons to break on purpose against weaker enemies vs keeping their enchantment.

Advertising the reward for entering a side area gives players a lot of choice. I can decide if the item fits with my kit/build, weigh what I expect to lose in terms of items.

After a few plays it seems always going for it is optimal because of the treasure + experience but I didn't win in 6 games (made it to castle on game 2) so I think it's in a good spot that I can't tell if it's luck or strategy that carries you through.

I like the magic system spending money and spending doubling money, interesting decisions.

For what I don't like, just 2 things really. 1 is the ambiguity of difficulty+additional treasure in a side dungeon. If I want to get $ITEM, I would like to know if $ITEM is guarded by spiders, webs, demons, etc. Adding "flavor" text that hides mechanics would be cool. Like, seeing a trail of slime (ok it's a blob), seeing thin filaments (spiders) etc on the outside of an area or 1 room in would be great.

I don't like that your weapons can become useless and deal 0 damage. This was especially annoying fighting the Sorcerer guy and spending 2 elixirs to increase attack and still having no damage output available.

This ties into my previous criticism of "hm I'll go in here but ah crap, I'm spending all my weapons".

Ok that's my feedback. Good game, good job.

Question for you: How did you get 100k downloads? (Viral shares//forum posting//ads) How much do you earn from this game? Thank you. Wizard

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 06:38:09 AM »

Hi quantumpotato,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Really appreciate it. Would love to hear the name of the storybook/card-game you're talking about; sounds interesting.

I understand the points you're making and I'll keep them in mind. I doubt if I will extend the game much further, though. Time is scarce again and I also want to experiment with other mechanics, like more freedom to explore, and see if I can make a new game out of that.

The downloads on Android are a surprise to me too! I haven't spend a dime on marketing, nor much time on social media. I just made the game I wanted to make, and hired an artist to make an awesome titlescreen image and icon. The game was featured a few times on the Playstore (like trending game, or trending RPG, or something) and that did a lot. Also, I think a trailer is a must-have. I can't get the trailer up on the Appstore (wrong sizes and whatnot) and there the downloads are waaay less. All in all, I think I have to thank Google's algorithms. About profits, they are surprisingly good, too. Although, not really covering up for a year of being unemployed, so I recently took a job and started saving again Smiley

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 06:51:48 AM »

Thanks for reading my feedback and I'm glad it makes sense.
Interesting note about the trailer.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enrikotero.decknight&hl=en_US Decknight is the deck based rpg.

Keeweed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic