Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:23:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Feedback wanted: our 3D prototyping tool, where you can live-code JavaScript
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback wanted: our 3D prototyping tool, where you can live-code JavaScript  (Read 834 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2018, 08:15:52 AM »

First off, apologies if this is a bit off-topic. I didn't think it was appropriate for the "Playtesting" or "DevLogs" forums, since I really want a discussion and very technical feedback from *programmers*.

We're building a fairly novel (we think) prototyping tool, one where there is no notion of building the game or stopping and playing. You're just always kinda playing, and this includes coding. It will be real-time collaborative as well. So basically, it should feel more like mocking a game in real life, like making up new rules for tag with your friends on the play ground.

Here's a video demo'ing the biggest features:

Of course if you want a Steam key (Windows only), PM me! I'd love to get people's feedback.

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »

pretty cool, id try it out if you had a linux build. the game engine that i have been hacking away at for some time now uses javascript as a script interpreter, and infact you create most of the game in javascript while the c++ backend just handles rendering and event handling, i assume it's a similar thing here?

do you have any plans to allow for some more intricate usage, or is it just primarily for prototyping ideas?
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »

pretty cool, id try it out if you had a linux build. the game engine that i have been hacking away at for some time now uses javascript as a script interpreter, and infact you create most of the game in javascript while the c++ backend just handles rendering and event handling, i assume it's a similar thing here?

do you have any plans to allow for some more intricate usage, or is it just primarily for prototyping ideas?

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately we don't support linux - you don't have a Windows machine?

Right now it's for prototyping, especially for multiplayer games (almost ready to ship). Did you have anything specific in mind for "more intricate usage"?

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »

Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately we don't support linux - you don't have a Windows machine?

Right now it's for prototyping, especially for multiplayer games (almost ready to ship). Did you have anything specific in mind for "more intricate usage"?

I don't have windows anymore, used to dual boot until I got fed up of the OS in general - plus it did some crazy stuff during an update and ruined my linux partition. Not even worth it for gaming Smiley

It could potentially run under wine, depends how it was developed.

By more intricate usage I was envisioning custom assets/art and even expanding beyond prototypes. What kind of games can you prototype with it? Are there set systems/templates, 3D, 2D?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:29:20 PM »

This looks cool! When you said it was platform-dependent I imagined it was just a regular desktop application with JS implemented as a scripting language, but then I saw the references to three.js in the autocomplete and now I'm surprised that it's not just a web application. How come? o:

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »

This looks cool! When you said it was platform-dependent I imagined it was just a regular desktop application with JS implemented as a scripting language, but then I saw the references to three.js in the autocomplete and now I'm surprised that it's not just a web application. How come? o:

The main reason would be performance. Physics and multiplayer are a core part of the experience (you'll be able to build together in real-time multiplayer..by next week), and we didn't see much evidence that WebGL was ready for that. Maybe this is possible, but it seems premature.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 06:46:59 AM »

I don't have windows anymore, used to dual boot until I got fed up of the OS in general - plus it did some crazy stuff during an update and ruined my linux partition. Not even worth it for gaming Smiley

It could potentially run under wine, depends how it was developed.

By more intricate usage I was envisioning custom assets/art and even expanding beyond prototypes. What kind of games can you prototype with it? Are there set systems/templates, 3D, 2D?

Actually someone on reddit said it mostly works with Steam Play, which is built on wine..so lemme know if you want a key to try! I was shocked, but I guess WINE is pretty great.

You can upload your assets to poly.google.com, and get them into GB that way, although we do need to provide a way to paste a url into the game (you'd have to just search for it for now). There is no support for animation right now, but longer term that's something we'd want.

You can switch camera view to third person (default), isometric, and first person. Side-on-2D is something we could do in the future.

As for templates, we are continuously building more example games and adding more pre-built objects (objects with behaviors already configured that you can just drop in).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic