Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:39:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSHE DREAMS ELSEWHERE - a surreal adventure JRPG (DEMO AVAILABLE)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: SHE DREAMS ELSEWHERE - a surreal adventure JRPG (DEMO AVAILABLE)  (Read 3737 times)
Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »

You wake up in a foggy haze with one hell of a headache. The way ahead is dark and foreboding. You remember who you are, but not a lick of how you got there. And to top it all off, you’ve got a persistent, bloodthirsty doppelgänger chasing after you.

Welcome to your coma - enjoy your stay!

She Dreams Elsewhere is a surreal adventure JRPG about dreams and the extent to which they mirror reality. You play as Thalia Sullivan, a high strung, anxiety-ridden, comatose woman on a journey to defeat the nightmares preventing her awakening, while also finding out how exactly this mess happened in the first place.

Unfortunately, some nightmares are harder to confront than others…

-A mature, deeply personal narrative with a thematic focus on emotions, mental illness and self-identity

-A surreal, visually-striking world brimming with mystery that begs you to explore its every detail

-An easy to learn, yet difficult to master turn-based battle system that pits you against a variety of nightmarish beings

-Customize your characters with the “Charm” system, allowing for a wealth of different playstyles and battle strategies

-Status ailments that can be used and abused with every enemy, bosses included – but be warned; if you’re not careful, they can devastate you just as easily…

-Connect and bond with a diverse cast of characters with their own intimate narratives via the “Dream Link” system

-Optional “New Game Plus” and “Developer Commentary” modes, plus various accessibility features

A original, ethereal soundtrack composed by Mimi Page, supplemented with tracks by up-and-coming indie artists

Wishlist here on STEAM!

Twitter

Instagram

Website & Development Blog

YouTube

Download the demo HERE!

Thank you so much for checking out the game! I've been working on this mostly solo for the past 2.5 years and I can't wait for you all to experience it. If you like what you see, drop a line and let me know! It'd also be great if you could show you support by following any social media channels, sharing with friends, or anything else that comes to mind.

More to come soon... stay tuned! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:39:49 AM by Lorenze » Logged

I'm just here so I don't get fined, man.
Kato
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:27:54 AM »

Love the art and the palette! That first shot has some very cool effects.

Owner/Developer, Authentic Experiences, Inc.
Games: Attaxor
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 09:29:23 AM »

I really like the charadesign and the illustrations =)

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Caravaggio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

Always cool to see RPGs set in the real world.

I'd have one concern and that's the colors.  It very much has an old crpg palette and I wonder if the vibrancy will fatigue the eyes after a while.  Is it possible to get some color options, even if it's just a saturation slider, or maybe even different palettes like Obra Dinn recently had?  I think it might help.
Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »

I'd have one concern and that's the colors.  It very much has an old crpg palette and I wonder if the vibrancy will fatigue the eyes after a while.  Is it possible to get some color options, even if it's just a saturation slider, or maybe even different palettes like Obra Dinn recently had?  I think it might help.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that recently. Sometime within the next week I'm gonna try to play around with saturation sliders; it's always nice to have the option, you know?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »

I don't know, I'm actually liking the colors so far. Looks like there's some variety in intensity, i.e. with these two:

Anyway, while I'm not usually big on JRPGs, this seems like an interesting and stylish one.
archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 07:45:46 PM »

came because the title was super intriguing and the images and text don't disappoint Smiley

I really love surreal rpgs set in a "normal" environment. will definitely be following and supporting <3

Is there an email list/demo?

Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:34:19 AM »

Is there an email list/demo?
Yup! Email signups are here, and there will be a demo out by the end of November at the latest!

Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:49 AM »

Happy Halloween folks! Got a new spooky screenshot for y'all today.

Make sure to stay away from creepy houses tonight, kiddies.

XianXian
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »

Dang this is some cool ass pixel art. When monochrome, minimalist is done right, it's mind blowing. Also rpg with heavy narrative is a huge thing for me esp with such personal, human topics.
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:15:52 PM »

This looks great! I love the monochrome look (something I tried and failed at a few years ago, so good work Hand Thumbs Up Left)

Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »

Thank you both Smiley

Here's some new screenshots just in time for Screenshot Saturday!

birdsmadeofink
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 06:30:00 PM »

that looks so damn rad, love it.

just wanted to say thee game has a huge personality and hope to see more

specially like the mood and artwork
Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:43 AM »

Thanks mate! Really means a lot. Smiley

For today's Screenshot Saturday, I shot and directed a live-action teaser trailer for the game. What do you guys think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typmJV7y5rE&feature=youtu.be

Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 07:09:27 AM »

(Note: This was originally posted on my development blog; you can check it out here.)

Hello everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful and filling Thanksgiving.

I’m super excited to announce that the playable demo for She Dreams Elsewhere will launch next week on WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5th! It’ll contain the first hour of the game and should get across the general vibe I’m going for.

You’ll be able to download and play it via Steam, itch.io or RPG Maker.net when it releases.

Also, the postmortem for DreamHack Atlanta will be dropping later this week as well! I hope you all look forward to it; I loved the event and I can’t wait to share my experience with you all.

Oh, and before I forget; question for you guys – how would you all feel about a behind-the-scenes development vlog? Kind of a like a more personal, smaller-scale version of Double Fine Adventure, with stuff like map creation timelapses, design processes, tutorials for RPG Maker, maybe even a livestream or two… I’ve got a ton of ideas for it.

I’ve set up a Strawpoll, so please let me know your thoughts.

See ya, uh… later this week. Heh.

–D

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 07:42:28 AM »

very great style. when Yume Nikki meets Undertale
archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

Excited for this demo! Perfect drop right before the holiday break <3

Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »

tfw people are actually excited for your stuff  WTF

Anyway, new devblog is up! It covers my experience presenting the game DreamHack Atlanta and has a few tips and tricks for fellow devs. You can read the full version here, but here's a few quick tips for y'all:

1. The event staff are there to help, so take advantage of it! I had a bunch of burning questions before the show, and the organizers were nothing short of timely and incredible to work with. They WANT you to succeed as much as you want yourself to, so if you’ve got a question or need help, don’t hesitate to ask!
2. Try to figure out the parking situation ahead of time. Look up nearby garages, routes to the con, fees, where to load in/out, etc. Again, contact the event staff if you need assistance.
3. I said it before, I’ll say it again – try to have someone come along with you, especially if you’re a solo dev. Ask friends, family, local game design schools… hell, I even considered posting an ad on Craigslist for an assistant at one point. It’s good to have SOMEONE at the booth to cover for one another, and as a travel buddy. Just make sure you brief them on your game and any potential questions people might have if they’re not familiar with it already.
4. Rest. Please don’t crunch. Take care of yourself, please. Both for your own health and the expo experience as a whole. Also, stay hydrated and use hand sanitizer regularly throughout the day.
5. If you’ve got the chance, set aside some time to explore! Not just the expo, but the city itself! I’d never been to Atlanta before, and other than the drive to/from the show and a brief walk Saturday night, we really didn’t have a chance to see much of anything. Shame, because I’d always wanted to visit. (Especially since I love the show, haha)
6. Try to involve your players in other ways besides playing the game. They are playing and supporting your game pre-release, so why not show ‘em some love? Since dogs act as save points in-game and each have their own individual names, I thought of having players sign up their own dogs to be put in the game. Sadly, I only thought of this two hours before the show ended. Oh well, next time.
7. Check out other developer’s booths if/when you get the chance! Not only do you get to connect with awesome people and check out some unique games, but you can also get a lot of booth decor ideas and advice, too. The devs behind Arcade Spirits had a really eye-catching booth using carpet and these comfy as hell inflatable chairs (that are only $27 from Amazon!), so I’m definitely gonna be stealing that one… with their blessing, of course. Wink
8. Make friends with your players! While it’s best to stay silent and just let them play, if they/you strike up a conversation or discover a cool moment together, just go with it! Often enough, there would be groups of people that came around, so while one person played, I would talk with the others and end up having a great time conversing and joking with them!
9. And of course, have fun.Smiley

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »

This game looks so dope. I'm glad DHA was a good event for you. Cheers, dude

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Lorenze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 06:34:04 AM »

Hey guys! I'm happy to announce that the official demo for She Dreams Elsewhere is now LIVE!

Here is where you can download it from:

-itch.io
-Game Jolt
-RPG Maker.net

The Steam version of the demo will be launching later this week, as well.

Let me know what you guys think! Feel free to stream it, post gameplay footage, share around social media, do whatever! I can't wait to see your reactions. Oh, and if you come across any bugs, please let me know!

Enjoy <3

-D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic