Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:29:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSaving Doc Jack
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Saving Doc Jack  (Read 468 times)
DreamOnGames
Level 0

DreamOnGames

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2018, 01:57:02 AM »

Hi everyone  Smiley,

we recently published the first demo of Saving Doc Jack, a 2d platformer with a scoring system and an online ranking.

Now we are looking for general feedback on the game to understand the direction in which development must go, especially regarding the difficulty, that is challenging, we believe it is fair enough and suitable for players who like to do speedruns.
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

https://dreamongames.itch.io/saving-doc-jack

[UPDATE v1.0b]

• General calibration of difficulty in all levels.
  • New oxygen refill mechanic (fast as lightning) .

Bug Fix:
  • Fixed a bug in the online ranking display.
  • Fixed a bug in the map selection menu.
  • Resolved some minor visual bug.

[UPDATE v1.0c]

• Fixed gamepad analog stick bug.

[UPDATE v1.0d]

• Fixed the negative time score bug.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 07:27:36 AM by DreamOnGames » Logged

Tatlum Crane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 07:21:11 AM »

Saving yourself from lava is fun! It's the next best thing to saving yourself from the water on a sinking ship. Doc Jack got a research ship and escaped from the deadly volcano. But all of a sudden there is a leak! Doc’s life is at risk once again. Now he has to go all the way from hold to the top of a mast. And of course, he has to save wet pages of the ship's log!

Never mind! I just dreamed about a game in which Jack was escaping from Titanic when I was a kid. It’s a shame that such a game didn’t exist.

Let’s return to your game now. I used DualShock 3.  With the help of XInput, I connected it as an XBox 360 gamepad.

Character control is easy-to-manage. The inertia is nice. The best part is predictability. I always manage to land in the exact place I was willing to. The only thing I couldn’t get used to is an inability to slow down after wall jump. I usually landed way further I intended.

I don’t like:
  • D-Pad control is fine. Although you couldn’t move to the right while using the stick
  • If you died before the first checkpoint the level restarts but not the timer. It’s unfair because you have to restart the level once again.
  • You can get on the ledge by using the Up button exclusively, but it feels like using the jump button.
  • An airflow tip is placed in a tough spot. It’s not the best way to try it for the first time.
  • Cancel is at X button although it usually B button
  • Y button can be used in the zone of airflow exclusively. If you press it earlier, Doc will not deploy the coat. It may be a cause of unpleasant deaths.
  • Geysers are speedrunners’ nightmare. It would be nice to freeze them with a grenade just like lava. It would add some strategy and make grenades useful for speedrunners.

In fact, the game is solid. Colliders are accurate, timings are nice. Great play experience!  Hand Joystick Thank you for this opportunity.  Smiley
DreamOnGames
Level 0

DreamOnGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »

Thank you for your valuable feedback  Smiley,

we want to improve the gaming experience, version after version and we need this kind of feedback.
As for the bug on the analog stick, we are checking if it is a problem common to that type of gamepad or is also present on others.

Thanks again  Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic