Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:20:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[libGDX gamejam] Particulitis
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [libGDX gamejam] Particulitis  (Read 504 times)
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2018, 03:30:19 AM »

Here is my entry for the libGDX gamejam.

Feedback appreciated Smiley

https://diocletian.itch.io/particulitis

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 05:37:21 AM »

Three hours...nice! Interesting idea. Readable graphics, satisfying feel, perfectly good controls (sadly, one can't take these things for granted).

The main problem for me is I don't know what's going on. The description gives you enough to actually play, but there's no explanation or in-game feedback about how anything else works. Maybe it's meant to be the challenge of the game, but it's not really fun for me to die over and over just trying to figure out how the enemies work (while trying not to die). Do the enemies just accelerate toward your position but keep their momentum? It's just not very predictable, which makes me feel like dying wasn't my fault.

I would be interested to see a version where each enemy had an indicator of their direction and speed. (Or some other way to roughly predict how they will move.)

If you are going to work on it more, I would add some UX stuff. You should be able to make it so people can play without any outside instruction. Instead of auto-starting, make it click-to-start, and show the controls before you click. Instead of just tinting the background, add some "Your Turn" and "Enemy Turn" text in the background. Also, some sort of progress bar for how much time is left in the turn would be good. Make the score text larger. Saving your high score and displaying it on the pre-start screen would increase replayability a LOT.

Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »

Hey that is great feedback, thank you ! Smiley

Yes the enemies are not very predictable indeed, they aim at you but very badly and keep their momentum :p

The indicator is a great idea, I added it Smiley

I won't work on it more, I already have one game going on Smiley maybe after that though Smiley All those are good ideas !

fearless_donut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:03:57 AM »

Great concept! Simple yet powerful. I think it has a lot of potential - adding obstacles, shields, more particle types and
custom level rules will make a really good full-scale logic game out of it.
I found only one small gameplay issue - moving near the borders is much simpler than being in the center. But i think it is fixable.

My devlog - Aether Way
And Twitter
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:16:42 PM »

Thank you !

Indeed sticking to the edge is agood way to survive but you're right that shouldn't be hard to fix Smiley

I actually got a great feedback on the gameplay so I'm reconsidering turning it into a full fledged game

Thanks a lot for the feedback !

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »

Nice! Yeah, I like the indicator lines.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic