Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:59:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsColor Spectrum The Project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Color Spectrum The Project  (Read 2519 times)
JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »

Hey guys, we are a Little group of college students from Spain doing a college project for the whole year. And our game it´s called, Colour Spectrum.
What's that? You may think. Colour Spectrum it´s a 3rd person Top-Down Shooter game which its main core mechanic is to change colours to defeat your enemies and also to move through the level.
The main mechanics are:
•   Change the colour between the three basic colours, magenta, yellow and cyan.
•   Shoot your guns to defeat your enemies. If the colour of the bullet it´s different than their colour, the enemies will be damaged. For instance, if you shoot a bullet when you are cyan the bullet will damage the yellow and magenta enemies and will pass through the cyan enemy.
•   Pass through the walls of your colour.

Passing Through Walls

A little bit of gameplay

Our game is located in a cyberpunk dystopia where all is controlled by three big companies, which each one has a unique colour franchise; cyan, magenta and yellow. And the people who live in this world is immersed in an Augmented Reality controlled by the three companies. And when you born you are assigned to one of these companies so you can only buy or interact with the colour you are assigned to, supervised by IAs, who take the role of the police in the AR world.

In this game, you play as one of the IAs, which was captured by a hacker who tries to destroy the distinction among the people, looking for a world where the people is free to choose where to go, without any restrictions made by the companies.

The style ingame will be low poly with the characters in a dirty cel-shading style and with cinematics made in a comic-style (either dirty cel-shading) to narrate the story.

The style we are trying to get in gameplay (Satellite Reing, one of our references in visual style). With our limitations, of course, xD

The style of dirty cel-shading

Nowadays, we´ve got a core gameplay prototype and also we began the Production Phase last week. That´s why I put the image of just started because we just started the real Project now.

It´s our first Dev Blog, so we hope you like it.

If you´ve got any question, feel free to reply to this post and we´ll answer you asap.
Also, we will try to do our best in this Project so we hope we can post weekly or every three or four days.
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:21:21 AM »

Hey, congrats on starting your first devlog! It's an interesting concept, and I like how tightly the mechanic is tied to the story. When you say IAs, do you mean AIs? Keep it up and good luck! Gomez
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:35:38 AM by Geoff Moore » Logged

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Silvia
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »

Hey, congrats on starting your first devlog! It's an interesting concept, and I like how tightly the mechanic is tied to the story. When you say IAs, do you mean AIs? Keep it up and good luck! Gomez

Thank you very much Geoff Kiss, we are so much excited about having a reply in our first devlog ^^. Nowadays, the story is slightly written and the worldbuilding it´s in the same way, but we want to have the story as tight to the mechanics as possible we´ll update asap. And yes, my partner wanted to say IAs that was a misspelling because in Spanish is IA (Inteligencia Artificial) instead of AI, sorry for that.

Hey guys, I´m Silvia, one of the designers of Color Spectrum and I´m going to explain a piece of news of the project. I´ve been working the past three days looking for a model to use for the main carácter (a placeholder one, just in case we don´t get any 3D artist or we get an interesting Asset). And I´ve got a few problems that I will relate to you:

•   First of all, I tried to use MCS Female (a free asset from the Unity´s Asset Store) and it worked quite well, so you can modify the character like you were customizing a character in an RPG or the Sims 4. But in the end, when I was trying to export the obj or the fbx I couldn´t export the fbx modified to Mixamo (a free program from Adobe to animate your models using a pre-made animations like walk, run, or hit) and when I tried to use it (using the pre-made model of the MCS) the model has got several problems in the rigging (or it seems to me) so her arms were really weird and too long.

•   But luckily, Jorge (the writer of the first DevLog), told me about a free beta program of Abode either called Fuse. This program is pretty similar, in the way you can customize a character, to the MCS so it´s quite simple to work with and you can have nice results without knowing how to model a character. And then, I just exported the obj and uploaded it to Mixamo to get the animations that I was looking for with good results.

•   Then I just put them into the project and build the blend space to finally have got the character animated.

The Model

The Blend Space

We hope you´ll enjoy our devlogs, thank you

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:24:28 AM »

Hi! This project is really interesting.
The core mechanic is simple and I like it Smiley
Keep going!
Cij
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »

Hi! This project is really interesting.
The core mechanic is simple and I like it Smiley
Keep going!

We love you had enjoyed our game and we hope you´ll be interested in the next updates ^^

Hi everyone, I am Jaime and I´m part of the Color Spectrum´s project. This week, I've been working in the navmesh for the enemies,  two new obstacles, a new skill and also I´ve been working on a cel-shading shader to the weapons and characters
First of all, I updated the navmesh. Before this update, we used three different navmeshes, one each enemy's colours. So the can be baked separately and avoid problems, each enemy´s colour has a layer in Unity and a navmesh.  This was, of course, an inefficient way to do it. Furthermore, if we add the White Obstacle (which I´ll explain you later) it´ll break the navmesh system that we have worked on. So, we change it to improve the navmesh system and do it in a better way. Finally, we have got:
•   Firstly, A unique navmesh for all enemies, instead of having three navmeshes. To have the possibility of add easily new elements to the navmesh
•   Secondly, A navmesh obstacle for the White Obstacle, which allows us to create a navmesh obstacle which can change the navmesh in real time, blocking the path or allowing the enemies to cross across it.
•   Thirdly, I use a navmesh volume for each colour wall. This volume allows us to use just one navmesh because it's useful to the control of the AIs. In other words, the AIs “read” the type of area is using the volume and then tries to cross it or not depends on the type of are (if allows being crossed by is a layer or not)
•   Finally, as a result, we have got a much more optimized navmesh.

Navmesh Image

Moreover, I created the White Obstacle. This is an obstacle which can change the colour to the colour of the bullet which had hit on it, once. Then, it will work as a usual wall. Then, I created the Amp. The way it works is simple, it receives a signal of one colour, and then, it creates a wave which changes the colour of the player.
These new obstacles will add a more complex gameplay to the game in order to add new dynamics when thinking about the coverages and the change colour system

White Obstacle

Amp

In addition, I worked on a new skill which allows the player to change his colour automatically when he wants to cross a colour wall. So he can focus on the enemies.

Auto-Change Colour Skill

Finally, I worked on a cel-shading shader to use on the weapons and the characters, to get the style we want for the game.

Shader Example

We hope you like this post. See you soon. And, if you want to ask any question feel free to do it Gomez
JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 01:11:25 PM »

Hey guys, we are so sorry for not update in a while but we are working hard to do a playtesting of the game. We add too much rhings to tell yoy in one post so we'll update soon (when we can) to explain to you  a piece of news of the project.

See u soon ^^
JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »

Hey guys sorry for not updating this devlog in a while, we were too busy doing college projects, but anyway ^^. I will split up the devlog in a few  because of the huge amount of news

Today I will talk about the main character
The model, Naomi:
We change the model to Naomi for a very specific reason, we can´t add the guns in Jane (the earlier model) because when we add the gun to the hand of the model, the animation breaks so the gun is in a weird position and rotation. That´s why we decided to change to Naomi (a model that we bought) because she was completely rigged (not as Jane, who was rigged in Mixamo in a very simple way) also, came with a few animations. So, when we add the guns to the bone rigged of the hand the animation was much better than the other and the weapon reacts very well to the movement of the animation.   
Although, the model was pretty ugly. In other words, the facial expression was kinda weird. But when we added the holographic material, the result was awesome.
   Also, we made a few tweaks in the blend tree and the animations. We made a lerp in the animation which merges the animation depending on the direction the character is moving. This change provides us a  better way to move the character, in order that she doesn’t move like a robot, she now moves more like a human being.

Naomi with the hologram shadder

The blend Tree

JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »

Hey guys, how are you? I will continue the series of devlog of the Playtest.Today I will talk about the level we created:

This was the first level that we create for this project so we were so anxious about this. Furthermore, we have to do a complex level, not a tutorial one, in other words, we have to do a middlegame level using the skills and the new obstacles we´ve designed and also scripted to test them in the Playtesting. But we had to design it in a few ways like a tutorial one because we had to teach the player how to play the game with only a few words in a word as only help.

Firstly, we created a zone with just a few enemies and one obstacle to cross to get in to test the players in the use of one of the core mechanics, changing the colour and also cross through the barriers of the same colour.

Then we split the path in two ways to encourage the exploration in the level because the main objective was to kill all the enemies in the level to finish it. In each of the paths, we made one arena to fight with some enemies and a few barriers to play with and then these two arenas were connected themselves and they are connected to the final phase where the exit awaits.

Finally, we asked the playtesters how they feel about the level and the say that the wanted even more enemies to deal with and the feel a little bit lost because we don’t have time to include a minimap. But we are happy with the result of the Playtest although in the next Playtest we wanna try a more linear level based.

Let´s see what happens

If you have any question feel free to question it and we´ll answer in the next devlog

Thank you very much ^^

I leave here a few screenshots of the level

JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »

Hey guys, it´s been a long time since the last update, sorry for that. We´ve been working on the project but the other college projects keep up busy enough to cannot update this devlog.

I´m happy to announce that we are working to get a Vertical Slice for the 28th of January and convince to our teachers that the project is good enough to pass to the Production Phase and keep working on it for the next 4 months, and release the game on Steam at the end of these 4 months.

In this few weeks we´ve working hard to get a better feel to the player and also include new features to the project.
I´m going to divide this update in a series of devlogs to ease the lecture of this piece of news.

Thank you so much
JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »

Hi guys, continuing with the devlogs, today we´re going to talk about some of the new features:

•   Cinemachine:
We added to the project the use of the Cinemachine, this camera asset (included in the unity packages, so it’s free) provides us a smoother camera movement, also includes a few features about colliders to the camera and transitions to get a more organic movement of the camera to get the best angle in each moment.

•   Lighting:
We change the lighting in the project to a darker one, also we add 2 directional lights (a red and orange ones) to get a more cyberpunk feel. Also, we get a more interesting level with this new lighting thanks to this use of 2 directional lights and we avoid problems in the illumination of the environment.

•   New Enemies:
 We’ve working on a news types of enemies to achieve a better experience and new challenges to the player. Nowadays we have 3 types of enemies:
o   Pistol: This enemy is equipped with a pistol, he has a low damage and a low shooting cadence. Also, its health is low
o   Rifle:  This one is equipped with a rifle so its means that he deals a low damage but a high shooting cadence. The health of this enemy is a medium one
o   Shotgun: It’s the most powerful enemy on the game at this moment, deals a lot of damage in a short range and very low cadence but possesses much health.

•   New obstacle: We´ve implemented a new obstacle called the Restricted Zone. This new obstacle changes the colour of the player and neutralized the ability to change the colour. This feature was easy to produce because it works this way:
o   On the event on trigger enter (when the player goes into the obstacle) we call the function of change colour with the colour of the obstacle (this function is the same that we use to change the colour of the player when he presses Q or E)
o   Then we disable the input to change the colour (in our game the inputs are Q and E)
o   And we enable the input a few seconds later with a coroutine or an invoke
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:12:05 PM by JLucky » Logged
JLucky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 05:12:35 AM »

Hi guys, continuing with de new features we´ve implemented this ones:

•New Efects:

oRain effect: We add a Rain effect to get a better feeling of cyberpunk and a more interesting appearance.

oShot effect: We improve the shooting effect with a little light when the gun shoots to give better feedback about the shooting.

oTrail effect: We add a trail effect to the sniper shoot to give feedback about the new condition of the sniper, now the sniper bullet can pass through enemies.

•A new point system
  We create a point system with different rewards depending on the performance of the player. You get points with:
  *Killing enemies
  *Complete the level in the less time possible
  *Receiving as less damage as much.
  Also, you can get a grade since the A to the D in order of the points got.

•Changes in the life steal mechanic:
  Now you cannot receive health when a bullet of the same colour hits you so we add health packs to gain health.

•Changes in the UI
  We change in a subtle way the place of different elements of the UI to do it more visible and understanding.

Thanks for the support and if you want to ask something feel free to ask ^^
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:10:45 PM by JLucky » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 04:05:29 AM »

Hi guys, how are you?
Today we are going to comment on the new changes in the project and different information on the playtesting of last Monday.

We are continuing to implement new features:

-Camera: Damage glitch effect

A script has been created where the shader of the glich is referenced and is activated and desactivated when it receives damage.

-Ability: slow down time

We had a problem with Time.scale and it was decided to touch all the variables related to the movement of the enemy bullets, animations and speed of the enemies get create the slowdown.

A singleton has been created to collect all the variables.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:31:05 AM by leonidas1997 » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »

-Level: Blockout Tutorial
A tutorial level has been designed and implemented to teach players the mechanics of the game.
It has been decided to do it diegetically so that the player can see it ingame as if his character saw it.
Holograms have been included where the mechanics are taught visually so that anyone can understand it, thus avoiding the use of texts for this purpose.

leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:30 AM »

Hi guys, how are you?
We had a playtesting session that ended with very good results compared to the previous test.

-Playtesting

It was possible to try a tutorial and two personalized levels with two different objective for each one.

The game experience is frenetic and the players could overcome it using the weapon they wanted to, in some cases increase the difficulty and in others to exploit a specific weapon to the maximum.

Players can equip a weapon of their choice and depending on the situation, they can either make their experience more difficult or go ahead be like piece of cake.
Another of the things that came out of the playtesting is the lack of maps to have a variety of enemies and stages. Today there are 6 designed maps.

We can say that we have obtained a very good result and that has made the team feel stronger to set the game as good as possible.
We hope you´ll enjoy our devlogs, thank you  Smiley

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.instagram.com/co1orsp3ctrum/?hl=enhttps://twitter.com/Co1orSp3ctrum

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:08:33 AM by leonidas1997 » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

Good morning friends!!

Today we want to inform you of the progress that has been made during this time.

The whole team has been working hard to have a playable version for the playtesting session that was made last weekend.
For this version, we were able to submit 4 levels and a tutorial level, and for the near future we are about to add two more levels.

New enemies have also been incorporated, such as an automatic turret as well as bug fixes.
The next week will be another playtesting as we want to have our new levels played and to to improve the design and detect errors.

Soon, we expect to finally finish the implementation of the enemies that we lack, the remaining levels and some skills and specific improvements to have the game almost finished.
We hope you continue to be interested in the project and that you can try it when we have a trial version for the public.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »

Good night!!

After a few weeks of being very busy, we became stronger with more progress on the development of Color Spectrum.
New levels have been incorporated, each with a different setting to create a rich and unique world from start to finish.

Here you can appreciate the levels with the aesthetics of city:

Levels with factory or industrial aesthetics:

Finally, an impressive power plant:

In addition,we have a level that stands out above the others because we have removed the buildings and the action is carried out in nature, in a park similar to central park:

We hope to have many more advances in a short time so that we can show how the development of our project progresses and ends.

Stay tuned for more information,
see you until next time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:44:37 AM by leonidas1997 » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 11:19:17 AM »

Good afternoon!!
Today we are to show you all menu sections.

First, we have the controls menu. It can be activated at any time within a level, and it shows the basic controls and some explanation of the abilities.

Then, we have the main menu. It has a small animation where the options appear from the side. It also has a video playing on the background. Let's proceed to the level selection screen.

Here, the player chooses where to go by clicking on a section of the city. The buildings glow when you select a level.

In the store menu, you can purchase chips. A brief description of your selection is displayed in the panel on the right.

The customization menu has everything you need to, as the name implies, customize your character, and also offers more information on your equipment.

We hope you are interested in the project, thank you very much for following us!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.instagram.com/co1orsp3ctrum/?hl=en
https://twitter.com/Co1orSp3ctrum

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:27:35 AM by leonidas1997 » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 03:17:13 AM »

Good morning followers!!!!!!
We have been working hard this time to be able to have the publication of our project today.
In a few hours it will appear in XXXX and it can be downloaded all over the world.

Thank you very much for your support and interest, in the following days there will be a summary of the final result of our game and the link will be uploaded to be able to reach it.
As always, in the area below are the links to our social networks to find more information.
Hopefully you like it and have fun playing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:23:45 AM by leonidas1997 » Logged
leonidas1997
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 03:37:00 PM »

Good night friends!
The game has been uploaded to the itch.io website where the indie world itself will be able to judge our cetion.
I hope you enjoy it and can play everything you want.
Thank you very much for your attention!!!!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic