Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:39:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Female Model Critique - New to this, need help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Female Model Critique - New to this, need help!  (Read 1119 times)
shayl
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »

While I've done art for years, I'm really new to character modeling and I definitely have problems with the human form.

So, the people who give feedback to our game are saying the faces need work. But I don't know where to start, please tear these apart and help me improve them so our players are happy. I would be forever grateful!

I should point out that its possible for the player to deform areas of these faces, but this is the base setup, which I really want to get just right before worrying about the deforms/customization available to the player. (I'm ok with them making weird looking characters with the sliders, but I want them to start out at a good baseline.)

This is the female model in various lighting situations (and one different hairdo) as they appear in the game, plus a few views of my blender files.

Zudsi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »

I have very limited experience with 3D modelling, but I do have a bit of advice for you.

From the in-game pictures the thing that stands out most to me is that the character's face looks really lumpy. I was wondering why that would be. After seeing the wires on the model it made a little more sense.

For one, you have a lot of extra tris in some areas. Not only that, but your meshes are very untidy. From my (little) experience, having tidier meshes makes the models look a lot nicer. While I've never made a higher-poly model, seeing pictures of more professional work, you can see their meshes are always very neat and follow a sort of rhythm in their shape.

Here are some examples:

Even in this fairly simple model, you can see the meshes are very neat, they don't bunch up, and the sizes of the polys are all about the same size, and when they do shrink into more detailed areas, it's far more gradual.

Then in this (very professional, I think it's from overwatch) 3d model you can also see the meshes are extremely neat, and have a very tidied flow. Only in detailed areas do you see polys far closer together, and even when you do, they are still very tidy.

The biggest area I see that needs improving is around the eyes. The nose and mouth also need quite a bit of cleaning up.

Overall I think the shape of your model looks pretty good, but your meshes are a mess!
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »

it looks messier because its triangles(export?), but it is messy. Maybe adding some diffuse or normal noise would hide janky polygon clusters, right now it looks like there is just 1 color fill.
anatomical stuff like weird neck can be fixed by adjusting it some body projection images from world wide web.
shayl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »

SO far I've been adjusting the polys to be more clean, and it's making a big difference! I'll post here a bit later when I'm more awake with some of the progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic