Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:09:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat's the best story game you've played?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What's the best story game you've played?  (Read 3984 times)
ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »

mother 2 is a story about leaving your homestead, finding that big city money controlled by stone idol worshippers, sighting ufos, charging up from earth crystals and defeating evil with the power of prayer.

It really sounds good. I'll give it a try!

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 01:19:38 AM »

Illusion of Gaia has a pretty interesting story too (as does its rather grindy sequel Terranigma). It's full of mythical undertones, but the overarching plot isn't where it shines as much as in small vignettes.

Yeah, that's true. Pretty cool story.

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 01:22:34 AM »

nier automata is the only video game ive played since metal gear solid 1 that felt like it had anything to say and really tried to explore a theme, but i have spent much more time thinking about yakuza 0. it's not a particularly groundbreaking story and most of it revolves around internal organised crime squabbles surrounding the ownership of a small patch of land, but it has some of the best character writing in games. without posting videos of spoilers its hard to communicate why but its incredibly good.

My friends also recommend me Yakuza 0. So I guess I have to give it a try.
I cannot recommend it highly enough. Until I played Yakuza 0 I thought there was no earthly reason for a story driven game to be longer than 5 hours. I've now played 5 Yakuza games with the longest being like 80 hours.

Well, that's a long time to be playing a story game, but It is a fact that video games are becoming even longer that we though. Maybe it could sound rare, but last week I've been playing Gears of War 4, and I really enjoyed the story behind. You start playing the prologue, which tells the first story of what happened in the old Gears of War video games. It's really interesting the way the enrich the story.

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 01:27:09 AM »

Nobody has said "LISA" yet. Pretty short RPG Maker game, but one that has stuck with me since I have played it. It touches on some dark subjects, like drugs / rape / abuse.

I just took a look at the game. It's a platform/rpg video game, very dirty story. I guess I would play it, but not sure wheter I pay for it.

raymondcarveriii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »

Chrono Trigger is forever up there for me. Forever.
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »

Persona 3 & 4 for me. I can't imagine many other RPG's keeping me engaged for 100's of hours at a time through characters alone. Finishing these games was bitter-sweet, it was like saying goodbye to to people you've spent the last few weeks getting to know.

Unpopular opinion -> Bulletstorm: If you can get past the childish humour and dick-jokes the actual story is really good.

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »

Deus Ex. they made me become super paranoid and start questioning everything, i should have questioned what my father speaks though, some older people are actually dumb and lie a lot. but the plot and the narrative are great.(the newest games get shittier and shitter, the last game is horrible and soulless, dont play it, just play the first one and ignore the other games)

I am not really a story person, i am more of a player who likes sandbox, and when going for story, lore or plot i go for books or amateur novels(some people are almost professional in their skills, love reading amateur stuff). but the  franchise that most get me interested is WarHammer 40k for its lore, the youtube lore channels, and the huge artistic background behind. and the other one is, I think....

Underrail. it is a small RPG, with terrible engineering but great production value and A LOT OF LOVE. its one of the best indie rpgs out there. I REALLY WANT THE NEW DLC.

i dont like most stories, they just feel like tools to be used and used well, most of the times i like the plots is because the plot feels like it was created by the world by how much work the world and the design was put into it. its like the plot is just another part of the world and they are so well connected we cant find where one starts and another ends

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 01:29:14 AM »

Underrail. it is a small RPG, with terrible engineering but great production value and A LOT OF LOVE. its one of the best indie rpgs out there. I REALLY WANT THE NEW DLC.

I've been on the fence with this one for a very long time. Just bought it recently but encountered some annoying bugs at the start so I refunded it (am now rethinking that decision). I miss getting lost in something as much as I did in Fallout back in the day. I've been reading many accounts that some builds are not at all viable to play with, is there any true to that?

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 03:38:07 AM »

Persona 3 & 4 for me. I can't imagine many other RPG's keeping me engaged for 100's of hours at a time through characters alone. Finishing these games was bitter-sweet, it was like saying goodbye to to people you've spent the last few weeks getting to know.

Unpopular opinion -> Bulletstorm: If you can get past the childish humour and dick-jokes the actual story is really good.

Never heard about that game. I'll see it in a video gameplay. Thanks!

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 03:41:10 AM »

Chrono Trigger is forever up there for me. Forever.

Love this game, yeah!

bilgekaan
Level 0

Indecision. | stikir | @td2tl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 12:20:12 AM »

Quantic Dream's games: Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human.

Braid also had a good story.

Portal is cool, too.

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 12:54:06 AM »

Well, man: more than 100 hours gameplay must have a really good story behind. I'll give it a try!

camW00dS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 12:36:34 AM »

The Witcher and God of War

The Last of Us was such a disappointment after all reviews and feedback i've seen
StuRva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:10 AM »

Wow! A lot of good suggestions, and so many, no way I can nail it down to 1.

My List... I'd have to say (In no particular order)
  • Grim Fandango - A mazing!
  • Mafia III - Yeah for real, the story was excellent!
  • Kotor (1 not 2. sorry obsidian fans)
  • Portal 2 was neat and clever
  • The Curse of Monkey Island - meh, not really sure but I remember loving it
  • Blade Runner (Westwood - blew me away in the 90s, and the multiple endings!!! Wow.)
  • The Last of Us - Modern Classic, great pacing, amazing finish
  • Anything by Quantic Dream - Really love the way these guys tell their stories
  • Mass Effect Series - played too many times, fantastic
  • Red Dead Redemption - amazing
  • Enslaved - was so endearing
  • Heavenly Sword was pretty good if I remember rightly
  • TellTale's Thew Walking Dead, my eyes leaked so much!
  • Half Life Series - was in love with the G-Man in 1 and Alex in 2. Grr Valve, thanks for leaving us hanging
  • Witcher Series. OMG yes! Ever since they launched the Enhanced edition, I was on board. great story
  • Max Payne 2 - Mona Sax!
  • the Wolf Among Us - Possibly Telltale's best game ever
  • BioShock - if you haven't - will you kindly play this?
  • Spec Ops The Line had a surprisingly good narrative
  • Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines - beautiful game, excellent narrative, for the time, would love a true sequel
  • Dragon Age! Oh my goodness, how could I forget Origins - what a corker of a tale

I gotta stop, the list could go on and on.

Oh wait. System Shock 2!!!

Speaking of which 3 is coming! :D

Okay, I'm done.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic