Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:38:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat is the best video game hud ever?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What is the best video game hud ever?  (Read 2542 times)
ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:21:15 AM »

Hi there,

I'm working on the hud for our Unity Game Jam Video Game. Our game is a third person shooter in a scifi world. I am looking for new concept ideas about the best huds you know.

I really like the Overwatch Hud, but I'm searching for something a littel bit more scary.

Any suggestion/recommendation?

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:26:47 AM »

How about no HUD at all? For scary, that should work. Want to know how much ammo left? Need to lift your weapon and inspect it. Or look at your ammo belt. Health by making the screen more red, or more bloody arms.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:52 AM »

How about no HUD at all? For scary, that should work. Want to know how much ammo left? Need to lift your weapon and inspect it. Or look at your ammo belt. Health by making the screen more red, or more bloody arms.

That was a first idea that cames to us. But we really think it's important for the UX to include at least a minimal HUD in order to make the gameplay much better. Do you like any HUD video game in special?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »

Health by making the screen more red

heck no
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »

Instead of more red, an alternative is to increase a vignette around the screen (more black only on the corner of the screen).

Games:

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:50:46 AM »

That could be done tastefully, but in addition to an actual HUD please.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »

The HUD that doesn't exist. If the game NEEDS a HUD I would prefer it to be very very VERY simple like in Alien Isolation.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 02:37:15 AM »

Depends from game to game, in an RPG old school or if you think about Diablo you can't imagine it without an HUD, or in any city building or strategy game.

Games:

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 05:04:55 AM »

The Deadspace series did a pretty good job of hiding the HUD. Heath indicator was the spine on your suit, and the other indicators (air and stasis) were on your body somewhere. Pretty sure the ammo count was on the weapon so you could only ever see it if your weapon was drawn.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »

The best hud is the one that lets you resize it. Seriously, I'm playing Warframe on switch rn and I have to squint to discern anything, even in docked mode. To make matters worse, the game doesn't run at 1080p docked, so putting the game on a bigger screen actually harms readability.

deliciouscookies27
Level 0

programmer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »

i don't know if it would work for your game, but i really like breath of the wild's hud. it features just the essentials, so that you can have a basic understanding of your player and your surrondings, without adding things that can break the immersion like a compass and markers and such that you see in a game like skryim. i also love the minimalist design too.

video games amirite
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 01:10:03 AM »

The best hud is the one that lets you resize it. Seriously, I'm playing Warframe on switch rn and I have to squint to discern anything, even in docked mode. To make matters worse, the game doesn't run at 1080p docked, so putting the game on a bigger screen actually harms readability.

I would call it a rushed porting to Switch.

Games:

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »

the best hud is the hud that gives you the necessary info to play the video game that you are playing and doesn't obsessively try to hide it from you.
ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 12:39:56 AM »

the best hud is the hud that gives you the necessary info to play the video game that you are playing and doesn't obsessively try to hide it from you.

Well, I guess we all are agree with you. But what I am looking for is good hud examples in video games. I am searching for ideas to design my own hud for the video game currently working on. Thanks!

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 04:24:46 AM »

Persona 5. No need to say more.  Gentleman

Games:

Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »

The Forest and Terraria have good HUD's, but my personal favorite is the one from the Prince of Persia : Warrior Within, it tells you everything you need to know, it's small enough that it doesn't get in the way, but big enough that you notice it, it's simple, and it fits with the theme and the aesthetics of the game, and it has a really memorable design; It's one of the best HUD'S in my opinion :D
Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »

The problem here is that there's not such thing as a 'best HUD', because a HUD is tailor made for any game. The HUD is just there to convey useful information. If you can avoid using a HUD element to show something to the player then you probably should.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2018, 03:49:33 AM »

An example is Hellblade, no need for a HUD, so there is none.

Games:

larrylateleaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »

The problem here is that there's not such thing as a 'best HUD', because a HUD is tailor made for any game. The HUD is just there to convey useful information. If you can avoid using a HUD element to show something to the player then you probably should.

Agreed. For TPS games I'm particularly wary of things like bars / numbers, simply because my eyes tend to be focused almost exclusively toward the immediate environment (especially if it's scary). I might not want to take my eye off a creepy moving shadow to glance at my ammo/mana/etc.

In contrast, in FPS games I like strong customization options (e.g. Quake/Reflex), and for numbers to be big and prominent (e.g. CS:GO allowing you to see the number of players left alive on teach team vs. just displaying their avatars).

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »

Depends on the game, if a TPS has rpg elements as weapons and armor stats, I want to check how much damage I do, and doesn't matter if I take my eyes off the screen if the game is frustrating.

Games:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic