Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:24:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Playing with building a lightweight command-line game engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Playing with building a lightweight command-line game engine  (Read 801 times)
hardcorebadger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:29:48 AM »

Hey hey!

In an effort to get back into C++ and have some fun, I decided to build what I'm calling a game engine for command line games. The idea is to create some Unity-inspired abstractions on top of NCurses and FMOD. From the readme:

Make a game engine for command line games. Create easier abstraction layers on top of NCurses for rendering simple as well as more complex objects. Support blending and z-index layering (like painters algorithm & depth buffer) for drawing objects to the viewport. Have object hierarchy in a scene with viewport-decoupled transforms (ie world->viewport transformation matrix). Support console logging from within the application (since it's in terminal that's not a given). Create abstraction layer on FMOD for audio. Basically make a unity-inspired abstraction for the application to run in, but for a console application.

https://github.com/hardcorebadger/Mint

Anyway - I thought I'd bring it here to get some feedback, ideas for features, or see if anyone wants to help out (I'm cool with open sourcing it  Smiley ) - I just started the project this morning and it's got quite a bit of cool stuff in it so check it out and let me know what you think!

Additionally, as I keep adding new stuff to it I'll post updates to this thread!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:49:28 AM by hardcorebadger » Logged

Heatwave is a light-hearted co-op zombie game where you and up to 4 friends battle an onslaught of sentient chili peppers to save the wild west.

Download and play Heatwave at https://lilsumn.com/heatwave/
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »

Got any examples? Would be cool if you cross-compile with emscripten and then host the examples on a webpage!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic