Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:28:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Texturing walls: How to handle edges and ends
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Texturing walls: How to handle edges and ends  (Read 828 times)
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »

I'm currently rather uncertain as to how to approach texturing the edges- and ends- of walls, and would appreciate some advice, I believe. Let me explain:

In the case of intact buildings, texturing walls isn't particularly difficult: I use Blender's UV-projection modifier to generate UVs that tile at uniform size across walls of various dimensions. There may be some mismatches at corners, but nothing too serious, I think.

However, the level that I'm working on at the moment takes place in a ruined city, and so sometimes the thin edges of walls are exposed, whether by a missing ceiling or breaks in their run. In these places I find that the projection often doesn't work as I'd like: brick-edges may end up located on such, and downward projection onto wall-tops will be misaligned to walls in one direction or another, if I'm not much mistaken.

I could simply remove downward projection, and allow wall-tops, at least, to just "smear" their UVs from one side to the other--but this is unsightly, I feel.

I could also manually connect the UVs of tops and edges to the relevant UVs from the sides of their walls. However, the UVs of opposing sides will generally very close together. Thus, to have them connect to both sides without "smearing", I would want to cut their top- and edge- geometries in half, creating a line of vertices down their centres, thus allowing me to shift the associated UVs a bit. This works, but incurs a mirroring effect, and is somewhat tedious and time-consuming in addition.

So, what do you suggest? How have other games handled this issue?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic