Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 12:30:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChrono Sword - Souls-like Pixel Art Action Adventure with Time Travel
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Chrono Sword - Souls-like Pixel Art Action Adventure with Time Travel  (Read 10269 times)
SpaceDuck
Level 0

an Indie Game Developer of 21c.Ducks

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:10:26 AM »

Hi guys, my game is selected for Bit Summit and will be at Kyoto during 6/01∼02.

Chrono Sword is a pixel art souls-like action adventure game with time travel. You will be a heroine who lost own memory, and have to travel the present and the past of the fallen world to find it.

My goals for this project are incredible atmosphere, fluid combat and full of story.

For the incredible atmosphere, Chrono Sword has pixel art with full of animations for any direction and any situations. And it's world is built with multi floors, special lighting for isometric, and time phasing. All these are my technical challenges that other pixel art games never achived.

It's combat is based on attack, dodge and shield like Dark Souls, but there are contextual actions like The Last of Us. You can fight like a skillful expert with combinations of basic actions and contextual actions, without memorizing long skill list.

And the story. It is really hardest to create charming characters and epic story with good message. I keep rewriting it to make it better and better.

I hope you will give me feedback freely.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:21:13 AM by SpaceDuck » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:56 AM »

Really nice art!
SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

@Zireael
Thanks. There was really many of changes of art for years. I'll post about it someday :p

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »

Great looking art!

And a nice idea with 3D, good job  Smiley

I like that realistic approach with deadlines, May is just distant enough, so many people try to crunch and then burn out quickly and the game never gets done Sad

Oh and honestly the first image made me think this was Diablo, or ... even funnier... this is fantasy XCOM!

SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

@Rarykos
Thanks. About deadlines, I want to spend enough time for my game to make it not just good but great.
And... I'm a bit fan of Diablo 1 & 2 (not 3), but no, not this time :q

Aghko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:51:41 AM »

Really nice art style, it gives me vibes of Super Bros: Sword and Sworcery and Jotun, looking forward for more!

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »

Looks good. Who knows it might even release before EITR  Tears of Joy

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

@Aghko
Thanks. My goal is mixing the chracteristic feeling you mentioned and the brushed art : )

SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »

@fall_ark
Oh no, I've been wait for EITR for enough time :q

Leetzor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »

Looks really cool, it gives me a Hyper Light Drifter vibe. Looking forward to see more  Gentleman

Developer at Pixel Dinos currently working on Heroes Ravage
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »

Looks really cool!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Only feedback I have is that it might be good to have some knockback even if you managed to block the attacks. That will make attacking more impactful I feel?

SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 01:25:51 AM »

@Leetzor
Thanks. I also really love Hyper Light Drifter. I'll post previous history and what I'm doing, so please visit often.

@Yong
Nice advice. Knockback completes action game lol. I'll add various knockback by situations.

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »

I'm loving the graphics. Following this one!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »

@bryku

Thank you. I will post about May build soon : )

SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 03:32:50 AM »

In early 2018, I finished a synopsis for a game. It was a story of a Knight who travel a fallen kingdom and the past of it. It started from late 2015 and finally it's play, story and art was completed - at least I thought so that time.

I built up a team for the game but it was still only in my head. So to share the vision, I made some music as well as docs and concept arts.

We spent many time to make our own tools in Unity to make high productivity. We definitely needed it for this project, since all of us had their own project already.

Our first goal was a demo with perfect pixel art and incredible motions. One day, the motion developer shared a screenshot of running character and that was exactly what we wanted.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:32:00 AM by SpaceDuck » Logged

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 04:40:25 AM »

Very cool. How are you doing the character graphics? Are they billboard sprites in 3D space?

robert.nally
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »

The art is looking really nice.  I especially like those orange trees you have going there!

3dgeminis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »

Following Smiley
Are sprites made based on 3d models and animations? I would like to see the process of creating the sprites Addicted
SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 12:36:54 AM »

@robert.nally
Thanks. I like that orange trees too!

@-Ross
@3dgeminis
It is similar with usual 2D bone animation, but somewhat defferent. It goes like this :
1. I design characters and draw pixel art in different directions for each part.
2. The programmer rigs it with our own tool.
3. Then I make Unity 3D animations.
4. Now we convert it into 2D data and apply to each part of the pixel art.
Explaining about converting and drawing needs help of the programmer, so I'll tell you about it later : )

SpaceDuck
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »

The theme of our first demo was the Cathedral of Lust. Players had to explore the past and the present in Fallen Saint.

We tried to give a strong impression by showing different scene when the player revisited the same room.

We wanted to let players fight with the huge saint, but our tool and know-how could not afford it yet. So the demo ended just with the awaken of the saint.

Players liked the demo. But we did not satisfied with the unreasonable puzzle, plain combat. And the glitch of shadow.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic