Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:41:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFactorio: Are you playing?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Factorio: Are you playing?  (Read 3042 times)
RaspberryPier
TIGBaby

SuperCollider

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:01:09 AM »

This game looks like a big thing and the final 1.0 version is supposedly coming soon. It is inspired in "IndustrialCraft" and "BuildCraft" Minecraft mods. What is your opinion? Are you playing?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:00:23 AM »

Congratulations to whichever shithead hired an SEO guy from fiverr on finding the guy who can't copy and paste your URL correctly
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »

Congratulations to whichever shithead hired an SEO guy from fiverr on finding the guy who can't copy and paste your URL correctly
I've since deleted his signature, but yes, that was funny.

Anyway, the OP is banned, so if you want to turn this into an actual Factorio thread then go ahead.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:23:46 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:00:37 AM »

Factorio seems cool. That guy makes games that I would love if I were unemployed or single.
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »

Factorio seems cool. That guy makes games that I would love if I were unemployed or single.

Or not playing thousands of hours of Yakuza.

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

Factorio seems cool.
I highly recommend against playing it. It just... well... will ruin all your sleep.

This is my "top playtime" list on Steam:

And Factorio is the my "newest" game on that list, and my computer is not really powerful enough to run multiplayer games with it. It's addictive as hell, and at the office, we call it Cracktorio and warn people for it. We haven't started a support group for people recovering from Factorio addiction, yet...

I do also highly recommend reading their weekly update: https://factorio.com/blog/ it goes into quite some technical details from time to time.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:00:02 PM »

I haven't played it, but I wrote about 150K lines of code it uses. So my most successful creation has earned me $0, the joys of open source.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 02:27:40 PM »

Please elaborate

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 02:36:15 PM »

Please elaborate

Factorio uses Allegro 5. The Factorio developers posted for help several times to the Allegro mailing lists, as well as posting early versions of the game on the Allegro forums. I worked on Allegro from 2006 until last year when I decided to focus on my own stuff, but I was part of the team that created Allegro version 5 from the ground up, and when I stopped working on it it was complete and stable.

There are several games out there that uses A5, but probably most of them we'll never know about because the license doesn't require attribution.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »

This I swear: if my significant other leaves me or dies I will download and get into exapunks
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

Dang, that's rough. What was the rationale behind not requiring attribution?

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »

Dang, that's rough. What was the rationale behind not requiring attribution?

Allegro was originally made by 1 guy back in the 90s. The license was basically, "if you like it, feel free to send me a gift. Here's my address:" That license didn't make sense anymore because the original author no longer worked on it and there were a few developers so who would get the gifts? So we just picked the friendliest license without thinking too much about it, and that is ZLIB, which says, while attribution would be nice, it's not required. SDL2 went with the same license so we're not alone.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »

Ah, I see. If it was up to me, I would at least require a mention in the credits so you get some leverage to say "hey, if you want this thing that you use to keep going maybe fund development a little".

But I suppose what's done is done.

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »

i like factorio. i am more looking forward to satisfactorio though. some games get repetitive no matter how autistically fun they are

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 08:03:52 AM »

Factorio has been quite open about the fact that they are using Allegro (in their blog), and that they are running into limitations because of it now. Which for me, is more a proof of that your work on Allegro was quite good. As Factorio pushes limits everywhere, and Allegro survived that very long.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 12:41:13 AM »

Well, we did try very hard to support all use cases and pitfalls, but at the point you're pushing with some games you may need something custom.

I remember one time they came to the Allegro mailing list with a fix for slow bitmap destruction (I rejected their fix and someone then made a proper one.) Anyway, they were creating hundreds of thousands or millions of bitmaps which most games would never do, so freeing up all those resources was taking a few seconds, but the fix made it better.
Darck_curt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »

I haven't heard of it, I will try it!
devwind
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 01:44:05 AM »

To my regret, I had.
The game always makes you wanna go bigger and better, which often results in large scale "re-factory". And before you notice, hours have gone by.

Haven't touched it for a while. And the idea of getting back to it is pretty daunting.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »

I've since deleted his signature, but yes, that was funny.

Anyway, the OP is banned, so if you want to turn this into an actual Factorio thread then go ahead.

lol what was his signature?

Anyway on topic, Tetris is a decent game and you can play Tetris in Factorio so Factorio is ok.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

I don't remember, it was probably something spammy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic