Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:34:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralEpic Games Store
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Epic Games Store  (Read 3935 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »

never will stop it with the sass
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »

So.. exclusives huh?

I just want to say, that as an avid gamer across several platforms, I genuinely couldn't care less where a game calls home anymore. 

I have Steam, I also have Origin and Epic, I'm also on GOG and itch and GameJolt, I also have XBL and PSN, I'm used to my friends lists and social features being skewed and varied.  But at the end of the day, I dont really use any of those social features either. My friends and I coordinate over different communication platforms over which platform to get a thing on and we all agree to it, regardless of what that is.

I also get the frustration so don't get me wrong. I remember a time where I did care so it's not like I can't empathize.

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 12:25:55 PM »

I don't play anything online so ... I win, I guess.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2019, 01:46:45 PM »

Gamers having their feelings hurt on behalf of valve corporation is pretty funny to watch

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 10:14:24 PM »

Haven't seen much actual gamers, but every social media and website now is game personalities and bizdevs losing their shit and giving a heartfelt lecture on games.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »

Epic store should position itself as an alternative to steam that doesn't facilitate open neonazi organizing

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »

doesn't facilitate open neonazi organizing
when did this happen
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:46 PM »

A little while after gamergate.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »

do you guys mean one of those "i googled bad words" articles or concious decisions on behalfe of valve team?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »

Afaik, it's valve being apathetic towards moderating its community spaces, resulting in those kinds of people making their home there.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2019, 09:24:55 PM »

Any substantial proofs of that? As a moderator, what are the ways to moderate 9 million multilingual users daily you would propose?
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »

How and why would I know that?

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2019, 10:54:22 PM »

You said valve did a popoo and should get their shit together and you don't know what it is and who you are.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 05:11:16 AM »

I said I don’t know how to solve their problems for them. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem to solve.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2019, 05:44:19 AM »

Any substantial proofs of that? As a moderator, what are the ways to moderate 9 million multilingual users daily you would propose?
if you're gonna implement a bunch of nonsense community features on your service maybe you should have a plan for moderating them, especially when your userbase is basically gamergate lolol

filbs111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2019, 06:50:49 AM »

AFAIK the moderation on Steam forums is controlled by the publisher/developer of the game in question.

It's annoying having so many launcher things, with different UIs to navigate. Steam's UI I find pretty unintuitive, and recommendation system still can't figure out what I like after many years. GOG's search sucks. Competition is great but with people being tied in to owning games on one platform, change is slow coming.

Would be sensible IMO if the back-end part that hosts games and front-end, that allows you to navigate all the content, go on forums, read/write reviews etc were separated. I guess the file hosting part should be distributed - developers might even self-host. Have a standardised open framework for distributing your binaries with standard metadata. Your game ownership would apply to downloading the game and you can launch/find games through any front-end, which would be paid for by affiliate links or similar. Take your pick from the available front-ends, which will vary in usability, some will be limited to family friendly titles etc. Anyone who have a problem with Epic, Steam or whatever having broken reviews, or censoring too little, or too much, can make their own front-end. Customers can choose between the Kotaku, or the Boner Culture front-end, or roll their own. People could stop moaning and start making.

Another wierd thing with all these launchers is that games on PC, i believe, aren't really sandboxed. An installer/launcher that ensured games i install aren't going to nick my bank details would be be asked to shut up and take my money.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »

if you're gonna implement a bunch of nonsense community features on your service maybe you should have a plan for moderating them, especially when your userbase is basically gamergate lolol
plan is either implement some automatic content aware moderation or opening offices around the globe. Both steps are proven to be risky for companies like that and detrimental to neutral community.
The problem of content moderation lies within chicken and egg question of radicalisation. Valve tries to be neutral to not fuck everything up more, Epic closed itself completely to avoid problems(and possibly control information, galyonkin is probably not above buying traffic from tencent).
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic