Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:14:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Recent low-poly works
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Recent low-poly works  (Read 1801 times)
ben3d
Level 0

3d models

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

Hand Point Right Available on Blender Market and CGTrader

Hand Point Right Be advised: these models are specifically optimized for 3d games.

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »

Although the actual polygon count for these might be low. The style isn't actually low-poly, so calling it that would be lying.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 01:40:48 AM »

ah good old lowpoly debate
pro 3d artist call lowpoly everything thats ingame graphics
kequc
Level 0

hmm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »

I'd say the goal of lowpoly is to make something that looks as good as possible with a small number of polygons, that's it. And these items have done a wonderful job of that, good on the artist.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »

Well, in this particular case, I can see several areas where the models in question weren't actually optimized for use in-game. There are multiple details on each model that don't contribute to the object's silhouette, and thus would have been better implemented through a normal map. The excessive decoration on the front center of the chair/stool would be an example, as would the individual loops on the hangman's noose.

Back in the day, optimization of a model for in-game use was a craft unto itself. I've seen a lot of fantastic artists strip complex models down to their bare essentials. I've seen incredible works done with nothing but 800 polygons and a 256x256 texture without any shaders and an 8-bit palette. So when I see models like these and you tell me that they have been optimized for in-game use, I can't help but purse my lips a little and perhaps raise an eyebrow. Sure, by modern standards, they MIGHT pass muster. And the power of modern GPUs can eat up and spit out polygons as older systems could never hope to. (making polycounts far less of a concern in modern rendering) But old habits die hard, and someone trained to optimize models couldn't help but consider this level of optimization to be a little on the weak side.

Just so we're clear, I don't feel these models are bad. Quite the opposite, these strike me as pretty good works. Some solid, respectable prop and environment modeling, with some decently applied textures and material work. Good stuff, the artist has every right to be pleased with their work. If I saw any of these models in-game I would be just fine with their effect on the experience. Most of my above comments are just the product of a training that treats every triangle as precious. It's nit-picking, from someone with a pedantic approach to optimized modeling, pure and simple.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »

Really nice work. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Never made 3D stuff myself, so for me low-poly is an art style that looks like the games PAKO and Cranks & Goggles.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:16:00 AM by woodsmoke » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic