Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:57:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIs it a good idea to have metroidvania type abilities in a linear game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is it a good idea to have metroidvania type abilities in a linear game?  (Read 994 times)
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:47 AM »

Hello there everybody! I am currently working on designing my game, and I came across a problem, basically, my game
is going to be a action adventure type linear game, and I want to add metroidvania-type abilities into the game as
you progress, however, I'm not really sure if it's a good game design decision, as there most likely won't be
backtracking in this game, and so the abilities might just feel like a unnecessary add-on; the levels would be
design around the abilities, but, I dunno, what are your guys' thoughts on this? would this be a good mechanic or
not?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »

Gaining more verbs as the game progresses seems to me like a good way to ease the player into your systems, giving them a chance to get familiar with a reduced toolset first, while gradually expanding to their full moveset by the end of the game. I don't feel like backtracking is required for that to be interesting.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »

I'm inclined to agree: gradually opening up new abilities over the course of the game sounds as though it should make for interesting gameplay that step by step becomes deeper and more challenging.

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

I'm inclined to agree: gradually opening up new abilities over the course of the game sounds as though it should make for interesting gameplay that step by step becomes deeper and more challenging.
A lot of (good) games follow exactly this formula:

1) Give the player a new toy
2) Give a safe environment to use the new toy
3) Give challenges with the new toy
4) Give challenges that combine the new toy with old toys
5) Goto step 1.

As always, portal comes to mind, which is very linear. But there are many other examples.

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:54:20 AM »

Thank you so much everybody , your messages motivate me   Smiley, also Daid, the good thing is that most of my abilities that I have planned are planned to be able to work with the other abilities in a good way Grin so that formula works out. Thanks again everybody  Smiley
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »

Excellent then! Good luck with your game--I hope that it goes well! ^_^

Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »

Don't think of game mechanics as belonging to a specific genre. Instead think what effects each mechanic will have on the game as a whole.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic