Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:58:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesI don't think I'm getting notifications corerctly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I don't think I'm getting notifications corerctly.  (Read 7456 times)
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2018, 03:23:03 AM »

First, sorry if this is the wrong sub forum, it was between this and general, but this says "Discuss forum policy and announce your games/Kickstarters here.", so I think this is the right sub forum. Anyway, I don't think I'm getting the notifications correctly, basically, when somebody replies to my post, or a post I pressed Notifiy on, I don't get any notifications or anything, my messages are 0, and 0 are new, also, if it's a reply to my post, it shows up when I press "Show new replies to your posts.", but I still don't get any notifications on the home page. I was wondering is this a glitch? or is it like this for everyone, and if it is, is there a way to change it so that I can see the notifications from the home page. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just now noticed that there is a sub forum in here for forum issues...  Facepalm I'm sorry, I overlooked that; and I wanted to delete this post so that I can post there instead, but it says that I cant delete my posts here, and I don't want to spam this same post over there, so I guess I'm going to have to leave as is. Again, really sorry, I completely overlooked it and I apologize, if there is a way to move a post please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:42:28 PM by Sinci1 » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »

if there is a way to move a post please let me know.

Only moderators can move posts, so I've gone ahead and relocated it. No worries!

Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »

Thank you! Coffee
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:41:29 AM »

I've never even expected there to be notifications for those, heh, but comparing TIGS to moderner platforms now I can see why you would. Afraid TIGS is just too darn old technology, so you have to check the list manually AFAIK. Tongue

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »

To answer the OP's question, the notify button, if I recall correctly, sends you an email whenever someone posts in a thread where you clicked it. If you have email notifications disabled, then it would never send you those, hence the feature seemingly not working.

Tbh, even if we decided to update the forum's software somehow, we probably would opt out of any kind of notification system. I've actually been thinking about this recently, and for single topic forums like this one, an optional digest of stuff you missed distributed at regular intervals (daily or weekly) would probably be much better than being notified for every single interaction instantly. Plus, if people are invested in a particular discussion then it's probably healthier to let them check in on the thread where it's happening themselves.

I agree that it's inconvenient that the forum isn't proactive about informing you of new things, but I don't think it would be good to end up on the other end of the spectrum either.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic