Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401054 Posts in 67847 Topics- by 61382 Members - Latest Member: lolapaluuza

May 27, 2022, 10:16:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProtonaut
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Protonaut  (Read 2257 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:45 PM »

Ahoy! Myself and weasello (Andy Moore) are collaborating on a physics platformer about chemicals. You, the Protonaut, take on all sorts of molecules (many never seen before!) in an effort to break them down collecting the sweet, sweet elements of your liking.

LAST UPDATE: 6/14/2009

A large portion of the game is dependent on user generated content, and even in its rough state now you can sign up and start creating your own levels. The goal of the game is not entirely clear at this point so I'm being vague about goals and etc., but we're updating pretty regularly and Andy's trying a bunch of stuff out. Additionally, be sure to check in on Andy's devlog where he tracks each new build. Sign up within the game to start making levels so they persist with your account. Hit up the irc channel as well if you want to get involved we idle in there and love to hear suggestions.

BASIC CONTROLS
  • Movement - WASD
  • Slow Motion - Spacebar
  • Quit to menu - ESC
  • Zoom In and Out - Z, X

QUICK INFO

MY CHANGELOG
6/14/2009
  • New DOF fx assets in there (you'll see what I mean eventually)
  • Animated menus
  • New site design (to be implemented yet...)
6/10/2009
  • Added a whole bunch of UI stuff for menus/logins/level select/win and loss screens
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:17:46 PM by aeiowu » Logged

weasello
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »

Thanks, Greg!

I have to say most of the praise I've gotten so far has been on the artwork. I really really enjoy it, and so do our beta testers. Smiley

I just wanted to stress it again: The game is heavily in development right now, with no clear goals and incremental updates to the (mostly broken) website - that means some features don't work, many are buggy or will lock the game, and a lot of things are very unclear. But as time marches on, things begin to come into focus and it makes some sense.

With a very limited beta (around a dozen people until this point), we've already racked up over 200 user-made levels which I'm pretty excited about.

To the future!

IndieElite4Eva
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:08:59 AM »

Ok, since this game has been in development for a few weeks now I'm gonna catalog all my progress shots here in this post to keep the archive intact. This is just the art side, Andy has cataloged his progress in the form of separate blog posts for each version that you can check above.

Initial elements as characters concept

Going textbook diagram style

Using the original character concepts in a static mockup

Action static mockup

Radical shift to El Lissitzky inspired Russian microspace cosmonaut (protonaut) style

Animated game mockup in flash

Static mockup of level editor options and tools

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 11:12:53 PM »

We've got lots of levels thanks to some awesome testers/alphanauts. Over 300 or so. Check out the level browser to find the best ones based on rating. Andy added aluminum as well as a bit of a new mechanic in that metals (squares) are indestructible, solids are destructible and gases are the collectibles (goals). It makes for a bit more interesting setup so far. We'll see how it goes.

I just threw together a huge update over the course of today, with lots of it being UI tweaks and additions that will be integrated soon enough, though nothing too gameplayey/exciting/showable, though I did whip up a new site design!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:54:38 AM by aeiowu » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic