Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:22:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAny good game design book recommendations?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Any good game design book recommendations?  (Read 988 times)
Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »

Basically what the title says, do you have any good game design book that you would recommend? I'm thinking of picking up some.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »

While not strictly about game design, "The design of everyday things" is apparently a very good book on general design considerations. I haven't read my copy yet, but pretty much everyone I've met who knew about this book recommended it, so that's probably a good place to start looking.

I also read a rather good book specifically about game design a few years ago, but I don't remember the name and don't have it handy at the moment. Please remind me to tell you anytime after the 7th when I'll be back where I have access to it.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »

The Art of Game Design by Jesse Schell.

Anyway it would be helpful if you tell us your level of experience as a game designer, if it is for hobby or work, and which books you previously read.

Games:

Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:16:39 AM »

Thanks for your recommendations guys!
well anyway, to answer your questions Ordnas, my level would be I think about average, I'm not fully a begginer, but I don't really have tons of experience designing games, and for now it's a hobby, but I plan to sell my game that I am making, and I didn't read any books on game design yet, that's why I'm asking for recommendations :D
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:43:02 AM »

Perfect! Then I still recommend you that book I mentioned  Smiley

Games:

Sinci1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »

Thank you! I will definitely pick it up as soon as I can, one question however, when I searched it up, I saw that there is a first edition, a second edition, and a third edition I think, so my question is, are these other editions like sequel books? or like upgraded versions of the first edition, in other words, should I get the first edition first and read it, then the second edition, or just buy the second edition/third edition?
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:06:18 AM »

The editions differs only by 1-2 new chapters added and a couple of more pages in some chapters with new examples and updated references to new games, but they are essentially the same book. Just get the newest one, the third edition, if you find it available, otherwise even the first edition is fine, we are talking about "details"... anyway you need to read a lot of other books after that so I would not bother about these differences  Wink

Games:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic