Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 12:40:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Agreeing Machine's Character Animation Practice Station
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Agreeing Machine's Character Animation Practice Station  (Read 1571 times)
Agreeing Machine
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2018, 05:51:42 AM »

Aspiring animator, Agreeing Machine here!
Coming off of iAnimate's series of Games workshops, I thought I'd carry on practicing in the open and get what feedback I can.

I still need to master the basics, so expect plenty of idles, walks, runs and jumps for a while. In the meantime I've been refining the last shot I had going at iAnimate. It's a segment of a longer piece that I might return to when I'm better equipped!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/a7170a716bf1/

(Anna, a psychic, stops an attack by Legion and throws him into a truck. This was a more cinematic assignment.)

In the meantime, I've picked out some Idles to practice basic posing, here's the first, with reference:

So please, I invite any critique or comments, and I'll try to leave a copy of every WIP on Sync Sketch. Will come back with updates at least once a week!
Agreeing Machine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 05:20:40 AM »

Been wrapping up the Psychic Throw, definitely not polished, but some day I think I'll be able to lay the foundation of this shot a little smarter...

For now, I can work on the basics. Finished some Idle poses, will have to try to animate one soon.

Agreeing Machine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:42:34 AM »

One idle is animated:

(It might be worth trying another crouched pose at some point. I bet you can get a lot of mileage out of the simplest side-to-side bend with a lot of offset)

I've been following along with a Kevin Rucker lecture on walks, so these are the bare minimum keys of a vanilla walk from Rhino House:

Notes from the lecture that stood out:
The "treadmill" did seem old fashioned, but it really gets the job done keeping a walk on pinned to your root controller.
There is an emphasis on getting compression/extension in your down/contact poses, as well as basically skipping the usual "pass" pose. It works fine!
The fact that a character tends to pivot all parts around their center of mass is something I hadn't realized for a long time. Seems applicable to most actions.
Agreeing Machine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »

The finished walk,

Definitely not my last walk, pretty vanilla.

The Injured Idle,

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic