Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Block
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Block  (Read 9064 times)
MadRobotGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »

I like it very much. I am envy on you because you are making things in a strict timeline. I am making a roguelike card game for almost a year in my free time, I did not develop it consistently.
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

I like it very much. I am envy on you because you are making things in a strict timeline. I am making a roguelike card game for almost a year in my free time, I did not develop it consistently.
Thanks! But there is no need to envy me. I still have very few followers compared to how much effort it takes to create new updates every week. But instead, I hope my progress would inspire you to try the same thing. Make yourself a strict schedule and show the work you have done!

Week #11 (update)
This week I continued implementing the manufacturing system and made the dwarves work on the workstations.

Dwarves cranking the wheel.
I had an idea that dwarves should physically crank the wheels of the workstations. This is how I did it. First, I imported the wheel to my dwarf Blender file and made it rotate 360 degrees linearly. Then I created a looping dwarf animation that fits the wheel movement. I only imported the dwarf animation to Unity while animating the wheels in the script. The script asks from the animator about the normalized time of the animation, multiplies it by 360 degrees and sets it to the rotation of the wheel transform.

Working on a game Dwarf Block (DevLog)
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »

Week #12 (update)
I started implementing the day and night cycle that wraps around existing activities and improves the pacing of the game. This week I did mostly the visuals and next week I will connect it with dwarves behavior.

Time-lapse videos.
I got an idea that at the end of every day the game should show a short time-lapse video that you can save to gif and share in social media. Technically it is quite simple, there is a render camera in the scene that renders a picture every now and then. Because it doesn't happen every frame, I could even add multiple cameras rendering multiple time-lapses during different times.

The gif making part was not so successful. There exist multiple solutions for encoding gifs in Unity. But gif files only support a palette up to 256 colors. Each frame can have an individual palette, but it didn't work for me. This was the best result I could achieve, and it isn't so good really!

So this is the downside of making the game too colorful. Now I have to find another way to encourage people sharing it. If you have any ideas or suggestion on how to get the players also sharing the game, then please let me know about it!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »

There is a "beautiful fails" thread somewhere around here. That gif fits in nicely Wink
isaaktual
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 05:07:39 AM »

I really like this genre of game.  You've achieved a lot in a very short time - puts my efforts to shame!  Especially the style of the characters and the modular beards/helmets are very impressive!

Keep us updated as you continue!
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »

There is a "beautiful fails" thread somewhere around here. That gif fits in nicely Wink

Thank you, that was really great advice Toast Left
This is how the timelapse should have looked like:

I really like this genre of game.  You've achieved a lot in a very short time - puts my efforts to shame!  Especially the style of the characters and the modular beards/helmets are very impressive!

Keep us updated as you continue!

Thanks, I hope I can encourage you to do the same Smiley

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »

Week #13 (update)
During the planning phase of the day, the player can assign each dwarf a job. When the new day begins the dwarves will come out of their rooms and go to work. Once it is finished they will eat dinner and go back to bed.

Procedural dwarves.
Finally, the dwarves in the game doesn't look all the same anymore. The number of different pieces is still quite small but with different textures, they make enough unique dwarves for now.

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 07:27:51 PM »

this progress is insane and the game looks like its progressing well! excited to watch it grow! also shoutout to you for commiting to putting a week of time to marketing stuff as part of your timeline, that stuff is super important and often neglected!

CANTATA
Pitxardo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 05:07:31 AM »

It looks awesome!

Subscribed!

Daniel Thomas
Level 0

Freelance Artist

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »

Agree with poster above! Subscribed as well!

Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »

Congrats on keeping at it for 13 weeks, I think your discipline (and what you've created in that time) is really impressive! I really like the art style you've chosen (feels like a funky crossover between Wind Waker and Minecraft) and that you've gone out of your way to give the dwarves different outfits and names, it helps give them more personality. It's pretty fun watching them run around and complete tasks in your videos. I look forward to playing it when it's time to release your first build!  Grin

Also, thanks for sharing the trick you used for the layered background. In my college program, we use mostly Unreal and HDRIs are the norm for backgrounds. Now I really wanna experiment and try this simple approach for myself!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 02:18:38 AM »

Congrats on keeping at it for 13 weeks, I think your discipline (and what you've created in that time) is really impressive!
Just wanting to add that I totally agree. As an ADD flake myself I'm amazed at your ability to get shit done and even report on it on a regular basis.

Do you have any secret tricks you use to stay productive?
Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 02:40:34 AM »

Thank you bacon, Pitxardo, Daniel Thomas, Dune and JobLeonard for your kind words Gentleman

The dwarves are appreciating!

As an ADD flake myself I'm amazed at your ability to get shit done and even report on it on a regular basis.

Do you have any secret tricks you use to stay productive?
To be honest, I don't always. This Monday, for example, I didn't get much done.
But here are some of the things that are helping me out:
  • Promising to make update videos every weekend.
  • Changing things up - some week doing programming next one art.
  • Keeping the 80/20 rule - every week I move on to a new thing.
  • Tracking development time - having the timer ticking helps to stay in focus.
  • Showing my game and doing marketing only at weekends - oops I just broke that rule.

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2019, 07:13:28 AM »

Week #14 (update)
This week I implemented the guard system, which allowes to place markers and assign guarding duties to your dwarves.

Simple glowing markers.
The glowing markers were actually really easy to make and should be quite performant too. On the right, you can see the marker mesh and how it is UV unwrapped. The red-green texture isn't actually in use. Instead, the fragment shader just squares the uv.y coordinate and uses it as the alpha value. Because it is just a simple fragment shader, it doesn't do any lighting calculations and the output color is what is drawn on the screen.

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »

Week #15 (update)
This week I prepared for Game Dev Days conference and started working on the intro.

Animated trees.
The only way to make numerous objects move efficiently is to do the animation in the vertex shader. For trees, the higher vertices should move faster than the lower one. The vertex height information could be saved into the vertex color by painting a gradient from top to bottom. However, this is quite tedious and error-prone. Instead, I decided to use the second UV channel for that. To store the height information there I simply projected the UV's from the side view. Now the UV y coordinate expresses the vertex height. The shader then moves the vertex in world space based on the of the current time and multiplies the movement by the square of the vertex height.

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 06:56:52 AM »

Week #16 (update)
New arena game mode is coming together nicely.

New orc enemy - bigger, badder and has one more health than dwarves.

Happy easter - here are some eggs for your!

cypherbrain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »

Just wanted to say this looks really sweet! Good work Coffee

Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »

Been following since the beginning, and  you are doing an amazing job, really excited to play  the game !

Perfoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 11:00:39 PM »

Just wanted to say this looks really sweet! Good work Coffee
Been following since the beginning, and you are doing an amazing job, really excited to play the game !
Thank you, guys! It can actually get quite lonely making updates every week and not getting much notice, but your kind words definitely encourage me to keep going. Right now I don't have much to offer yet, besides some cool gifs Smiley

And if anyone wants to hang out or have a chat, then you are more then welcome to join my little discord community: https://discord.gg/5yutChM
I will start doing playtesting in the discord soon. So you could be among the first ones to try it out and give me some valuable feedback Coffee

Pitxardo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 05:53:05 AM »

Thank you, guys! It can actually get quite lonely making updates every week and not getting much notice, but your kind words definitely encourage me to keep going. Right now I don't have much to offer yet, besides some cool gifs Smiley

We are silent observers, but we are here in every update. Good job and keep going! Toast Right Toast Left

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic