Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:26:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel Hex Question
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Hex Question  (Read 1179 times)
dxman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:27:56 AM »

Hey. I've been working on grey-boxing a strategy game project and dabbling a bit in learning to do pixel art in the process.

My question is... In a similar way to how square tiles are often sized in powers of two (16x16, 32x32, etc), are there any "standard" dimensions for pixel hex tiles? That is, ones that people often work with, that are known to not produce any visual gaps?

Obviously, I can experiment, and I plan to do just that. I'm just curious. Feel free to get technical if you want. I'm an experienced programmer, so I can handle it.

Thanks!
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »

No, but that is a great question. I experimemted a bit some months ago and it was a bit fiddly to get a good shape that was close to a regular hexagon and also tiled nicely in all 6 directions and corners with 1-pixel wide lines separating them. So when I finally had a shape that worked I just decided to keep that (if I ever make it into a game (prototype)). Remember it looked a bit irregular. Can post it if you want to count pixels, but you can probably do better without much effort, and there might be good standard sizes I should have used.
BG109
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:42 PM »

Not that I know of, but then again Im not a professional artist  Smiley

In my experience though,making the hex style in-game map for my own game, I actually kept the y scale of the hex tiles larger than the tile itself

This allows for structures like buildings, trees, mountains etc. to be expanded outside the tile a bit. If you draw the tiles top to bottom that will make then overlap each other slightly and imho makes the overall hexgrid feel a bit more interconnected, at least if you're going for an isometric, semi isometric style
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic