Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:43:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)Sunset runner [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Sunset runner [FINISHED]  (Read 35075 times)
Tr00jg
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 02:06:24 PM »

Neat, simplistic game you have here Guert.

Is this game possibly influenced by Sunset Riders? Have you played it. Its an old arcade game.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »

Thanks!
I've played that game so many years ago I can't remember how it played. All I remember is that A) it was about cowboys B) It was a game that was pirated live before our eyes during a canadian video game show that ran a few years back. There's was this bald guy named the head who we'd only see through a tv monitor. Anyone knows what i'm talking about? There was like a live host, the head and some asian girl in a tv monitor...

On a side note, Sunset runner was actualy inspired by Brokeback mountain. I could've called it "Brokeback train" but I dunno... "Sunset runner" sounds better Wink

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »

Hey Guert, did you realise that this thread was topic number 666? Grin

You should do an evil version of this game or something :D

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »

Ah ha  I didn't noticed that little detail!
Hmmm... Interesting idea!  Quite interesting...

*Leaves in the shadow, pondering about a dark plan...

:D

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:33 PM »

Guert, it was really cool meeting you, and I enjoyed Sunset Runner a lot.  It really fits the design goals of the competition well: truly low resolution, interesting aspect ratio, beat in 5 minutes... although the difficulty curve made it take me like 10 minutes, on easy Smiley.

Witness Brandon and I, frontin for our favorite game critic.

@doomlaser, mark johns
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 11:54:21 PM »

I finally had a chance to play your game. I loved the graphics, and thought you did a great job using the aspect ratio restriction to your advantage. I was less enamoured with the gameplay. I would like to humbly suggest a change.

In the current version, when things get faster, I need to start planning my jumps way in advance. I'm jumping way before there's even a threat, or I'm avoiding threats simply because relatively speaking, I have a ton of hang time. In some ways, the game gets slower as it gets faster.

Instead, as everything speeds up, your jumps should speed up accordingly (not stay the same speed). Another way of putting it, increase the framerate of the entire game, not just the things you're jumping. Near the end, you'll be doing fast, quick up & down jumps, like a human pogo stick. While that will turn Sunset Rider into a more standard twitch game, that's not a bad thing.

I'd certainly play that over and over and over again.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »

Golds: It was a pleasure meeting you guys too... 
And here, witness Toastie and I fronting formy favorite Owen Wilson impersonator.

BigPants: The idea is interesting. I'll see if I can try it out to see how it feels. Thanks alot for playing!
Take care all!

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »

Guert, I know I'm late to the party, but I think your entry was cool.
I can only clear it on Easy, but I was a little disappointed I only got text as a prize. I wanted the train to stop right in front of my 'friend' so that they could be reunited.

What did you use to make the game, if you don't mind my asking?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »

Yeah... The game would need a grand finale. I had one thought up where the main character jumped off the train and ran to rescue his best firend. Then there was an embrace. I also had this finale where you'd get to see the character getting ran over by the train up close. But, I ran out of time and I hate coding Tongue

I used Blitz basic for this game. I like using blitz for some quick prototypes. Since I don't like coding and never really enjoyed Game maker, Blitz was the best choice for me. Unfortunatly, it causes some bugs in the game that I have no idea how to take care of.   

Thanks for playing!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic