Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:40:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrenzy Skies Infinite [Demo Released]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Frenzy Skies Infinite [Demo Released]  (Read 1378 times)
da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2019, 12:58:02 PM »

GET DEMO HERE

Gentleman
Frenzy Skies is ultra fast-paced super lowpoly heroic 3D shmup inspired by amazing linear levels from Star Fox.
I plan to release the game on android and steam.
It has some random elements, additional weapons (some of them will work like random perks from The Binding of Isaac - positive or negative) and bosses.
I develop it in Unity. For the art I use Photoshop and Blender.

First GIFs:

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:43:21 AM by da_neel » Logged

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:06 AM »

BONUS WEAPONS
Defeated enemies sometimes drop containers with random additional weapons. The player can use three weapons simultaneously. Some of these weapons are useful, others just take up space, and some may even interfere with the player.

This is a sniper-fish. It deals a ton of damage, but shoots rarely
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:16:06 AM by da_neel » Logged

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »

I tried to make a game one time that captured that star fox feeling, but I never got the speed right, I think the orange ground lines, rocks, and cactus you have help a lot in making it feel like you are going really fast. Are there going to be multiple levels?

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:31:41 PM »

I tried to make a game one time that captured that star fox feeling, but I never got the speed right, I think the orange ground lines, rocks, and cactus you have help a lot in making it feel like you are going really fast. Are there going to be multiple levels?
Well it's easier to make that sense of speed in linear style of gameplay. Free roaming sections in Star Fox are really not that fast.
Yeah, I plan to do 5 levels with different environments like space, ice, underwater etc. But the difference between them will be mostly cosmetic - you will always fly on a straight line shooting various enemies and dodging stuff. Also there will be a boss in the end of each level. And I want to implement an randomized infinite mode for each environment with leaderboard.

AlexMO
Level 0

You better watch out! He knows about TIMED HITS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:19 AM »

I gave the build a go; you've definitely got the speed aspect down already with the particles and the striped environment.

Some random thoughts/feedback I thought of while playing, forgive me if it's not the direction you're thinking towards:

- Something that might be cool to add is a barrel-roll with invincible frames (with a cooldown of course) for more easily avoiding enemy projectiles every once in a while.

- Right now you're currently holding down the attack button (left click) a lot, and that this doesn't necessarily change even while you accrue powerups; I wonder if it might feel more satisfying to have powerful powerups that fire with say, a right click. Waiting for the sniper to charge and the unleashing his shot with a right click would feel pretty good.

- Perhaps rather than (or maybe in addition to!) a health system, powerups would be destroyed, leaving you weaker as you got hit.

- You mentioned Binding of Issac, it'd be intriguing to create a sort of roguelike based on a starfox sort of game, based on taking different paths via forked in each level.

Looking forward to where you're going to take it. Smiley
da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 01:42:29 AM »

Looking forward to where you're going to take it. Smiley

Hey, thanks for the useful feedback! Smiley
Actually, my main goal is Android release, so I want to keep things simple for now. The latest build has a full auto-fire. And the player loses one of his weapons when he got hit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:45:10 AM by da_neel » Logged

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 11:25:46 PM »

I was thinking about power-ups that change the gameplay in some other ways than just increasing the player's firepower. They could increase player's speed, make him larger, smaller etc.
This is a mushroom that makes everything is ON DRUGS. And of course, it's a little harder to dodge bullets when everything is on drugs.

Yeah, also I added animated crates which drop power-ups.

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 01:28:43 AM »

Framerate is too good. Shouldn't it be like 1 frame per second to be like Starfox? :D

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »

Framerate is too good. Shouldn't it be like 1 frame per second to be like Starfox? :D

I'm sorry, will fix it in the next build  Grin

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:09:11 AM by da_neel » Logged

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:31:16 AM »

There have been a lot of changes. In general, I changed the landscape aspect to portrait, made minimalistic visuals, added sounds and music.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic