Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:30:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRune Fencer Illyia - Explore, Fight, Befriend ۹(ÒᴗÓ)つ=lニニフ
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rune Fencer Illyia - Explore, Fight, Befriend ۹(ÒᴗÓ)つ=lニニフ  (Read 2784 times)
AlexMO
Level 0

You better watch out! He knows about TIMED HITS!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:17:58 PM »

Wishlist on Steam! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104600/Rune_Fencer_Illyia/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/NootboxGames

UPDATE: Hey all, I am removing all media from this post because it is continually getting used in scams. Sorry! Please follow the twitter if you'd like to see updates.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:24:17 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:27 PM »

Looks promising Smiley
You should have started the devlog earlier.

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:46:35 PM »

Love it. I hope she has stubby melee range for extra challenge.
I'm a little turned off from playing some games like Shinobi and some of the Metroidvanias because I find the weapons to have unfairly long range that the difficulty is adjusted by turning critters into tanks

AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:04:23 AM »

Looks promising Smiley
You should have started the devlog earlier.

Haha, thanks. It was on my to-do list for... probably the last six months, really...

Love it. I hope she has stubby melee range for extra challenge.
I'm a little turned off from playing some games like Shinobi and some of the Metroidvanias because I find the weapons to have unfairly long range that the difficulty is adjusted by turning critters into tanks

Thanks! She eventually gains several different main weapons that have different attributes; (Sword is the most balanced; Hammer is powerful but insanely slow, Dagger is *extremely* short range but hits super quickly, etc).
I get what you're talking about with tanky enemies, and in RFI I'm trying to reward getting in close and dodging enemy attacks, and preventing most enemies from being damage sponges. (unless you're trying to attack endgame enemies with an un-upgraded weapon, or something).

Magic allows range, but requires substantial MP usage or equipping Curio that encourage a more magic-based build.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:09:37 AM by AMO_Crate » Logged
MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:36 AM »

Thanks! She eventually gains several different main weapons that have different attributes; (Sword is the most balanced; Hammer is powerful but insanely slow, Dagger is *extremely* short range but hits super quickly, etc).
I get what you're talking about with tanky enemies, and in RFI I'm trying to reward getting in close and dodging enemy attacks, and preventing most enemies from being damage sponges. (unless you're trying to attack endgame enemies with an un-upgraded weapon, or something).
Sounds good.
Well while it's currently still in Dev I'd suggest you create 1 Ultimate weapon for each class so people can play the game how they want as opposed to what Metroidvanias in the main line do where the strongest weapons in the game are always Great Swords with planet sized hitboxes while not providing some dagger alternatives viable for endgame.

AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »

Sounds good.
Well while it's currently still in Dev I'd suggest you create 1 Ultimate weapon for each class so people can play the game how they want as opposed to what Metroidvanias in the main line do where the strongest weapons in the game are always Great Swords with planet sized hitboxes while not providing some dagger alternatives viable for endgame.

Ah, there's actually only one weapon of each type; to avoid exactly that sort of problem and ensure they're all mostly viable for various situations! Smiley  They can all be upgraded to up their power. Curio (think Paper Mario badges, or Hollow Knight Charms) can also be equipped to create unique 'builds' that can benefit different weapons, as well. 
MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:48:13 AM »

Ah, there's actually only one weapon of each type; to avoid exactly that sort of problem and ensure they're all mostly viable for various situations! Smiley 
That sound like the right way to do it

AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »

Added these Bone Worm enemies into the Royal Ossuary area this week. Simple AI but pretty effective visually and mechanically.

They basically have a set amount of authored 'emerge' points that they will emerge from upon getting agro'd; with some additional checks for making sure that two bone worms can't emerge in the same spot, etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:24:31 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »

Lots of work getting done in the past month. I have about 100~ unique spell effects and projectiles to handle just for the player, so that's been keeping me busy.

As you can see above, I finally decided to re-enable my damage numbers. With the sheer amount of spells and methods of doing damage, including elemental weakness, it would be a bit rough to not know exactly how much damage you're doing (or *not* doing).

Sword familiar! Got another 6 familiars to code in...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:24:46 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »

I am so down with all of this. Art is great, mechanics sound solid, and I totally approve of your design philosophies so far Smiley

Very excited to follow and eventually play!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 08:51:11 PM »

Thanks, dude! Smiley

Gradually getting some more stuff on here. Converting to gif is an ordeal, though.
I'm actually pretty thankful for screenshot saturdays since they force me to get some content, be it enemies, levels, mechanics etc, polished enough to show off.

This little snowflake elemental has been done in code and art for months now, just hadn't put any of his stuff into the project proper until now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:24:53 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »

I'm super interested in how this looks so far.

Alexei_ost
Level 0

Give me a game, I'll give you music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 05:05:08 PM »

Hey there! Game looks really cool Smiley I'm getting heavy Celeste/Metroid vibes, with the addition of awesome magic. Less plataformer, more RPG perhaps? Already subscribed to mailing list :D

I'm a music composer with a natural affinity for exploration games and RPG elements! I took the liberty of setting up a playlist of songs I think could fit Rune Fencer Smiley here's the link https://soundcloud.com/alexei_ost/sets/rune-fencer I'd love to hear your thoughts and maybe collaborate with you :D

See ya and once again, congrats on the game,

Alexei Galar

Game music composer, taco lover and doom bringer.

https://soundcloud.com/alexei_ost
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:22 PM »

Thanks for the compliments! Smiley We do already have a composer contractor working on the project, though!

I'm not sure about Celeste (which is more of a minimalist hardcore platformer), we're definitely more in the vein of an Action-RPG Castlevania/Metroidvania with a strong emphasis on combat and exploration of a big, interconnected open world. Although there's plenty of platforming challenges to be found as well.

One of my earlier inspirations for the project was actually Brave Fencer Musashi for the PSX, especially when it came to rescuing NPCs and returning them to the hub area; a concept I use in returning crystallized Central Shrine denizens back to safety in Rune Fencer Illyia.
Alexei_ost
Level 0

Give me a game, I'll give you music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »

Well, for sure combat and the magic system seems like a strong point. Haven't played BFM, but still the idea looks really good. Hope to see this project finished soon!

Game music composer, taco lover and doom bringer.

https://soundcloud.com/alexei_ost
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 11:58:31 PM »

Here's a shot of one of the brighter and more colorful areas in the game, the Kingspath.

There's 19 different distinct areas, which actually seems like a lot now that I look at it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:25:01 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 11:54:23 PM »

Today's screenshot saturday; showing off one of the core abilities, the Gravity Rune.

I'm actually really pleased in how smoothly the Rune works in gameplay, the player can basically flip to any ceiling that they touch, which allows for some really cool platforming segments and shortcuts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:25:07 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
AlexMO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 12:25:03 AM »

It's been a while! We released our Teaser Trailer, and launched our Steam Page as well!

You can wishlist us on Steam here! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104600/Rune_Fencer_Illyia/

I'll try to keep this thread more up to date, but I'm also afraid of making computers explode with the gif load.  Shrug
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:25:17 PM by AMO_Crate » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic