Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:46:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNES HARD
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NES HARD  (Read 1738 times)
MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:56:20 AM »

NES Hard

Hi everyone.

This project started a little more than a month ago. Most core mechanics are done but I would like to add a lot more.

I love playing platformers on the go and most of the choices look something like this:

While a lot of my favorite ones are simplified, made slower to accommodate for the lack of buttons, there are a few attempts to create some Twitch ones and while the games themselves are enjoyable, most of the deaths don't feel "fair" due to the lack of solid controls. They just make you wish you were playing on a controller or keyboard instead.

My goal with this project was to create a "Non-platforming Platformer" if you will. The game revolves around line of sight and teleportation. It was harder than expected designing levels for this type of gameplay and an even greater challenge arranging the levels in increasing stages of difficulty since I try to introduce one mechanic at a time. I found the gameplay best suited claustrophobic levels with a lot of well placed hazards. I try my best in higher levels to try and implement more puzzle elements and combine it with twitch gameplay.

As of right now I have 24 presentable levels and my current goal is 125 levels with 5 bosses. I also plan to add some extra abilities down the line which will in turn another layer of challenge to level design.

I'd have to say my biggest struggle is with graphics. My art is mostly hand drawn and scanned then converted to vector. When I try to rush out assets using purely vector there is a noticeable graphics clash. Also I think I did a decent enough job with colors to the best of my ability but I'm aware it might not be aesthetically pleasing colors-wise.

I will have a playable demo soon. Meanwhile tune in to this thread for updates.  Coffee
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:37:26 AM by MPPlantOfficial » Logged

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »

Finished another level:

Since screen levels are pretty short to complete so I try to add as many hazards just enough for a challenge but not quite "Twitch" yet.

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »

Created a basic level to teach the push mechanic.
29 levels encounting. Soon as I finish level 30 I'm making the intro screen and export a playable demo very soon.
Stay tuned!  Coffee

da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:01:52 AM »

I feel like it will be a little more fun if locks would be opened one by another, not simultaneously. So the player would be able to escape if he would touch the key. Because now you can basically replace keys with spikes and it will be no difference
Nice concept, by the way!

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:11 AM »

I feel like it will be a little more fun if locks would be opened one by another, not simultaneously. So the player would be able to escape if he would touch the key. Because now you can basically replace keys with spikes and it will be no difference
Nice concept, by the way!
You know what I agree. To be quite honest this was programmed this way more out of boredom for programming and playtesting than anything else. As of right now touching of the keys destroys all locks but I'm considering transforming the thing into toggle on and off type for now then create the single block type locks as a separate object altogether.

and thanks a lot for the complement!  Coffee

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 01:06:41 AM »

Level 30 complete.

Next tasks:
- Sound and Music
- Resequencing levels
- drawing cutscenes
- drawing buttons and UI
- storing array info

Hope to have playable demo by monday.  Coffee

MPPlantOfficial
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:41:38 AM »

Bumped progress up to 60% since I decided to first see if this type of game has a demand.
My "100%" will be when these initial 30 levels are done and if it gets good feedback I might decide to do different chapters of 30 levels each again. My goal for a full game for now is 150 levels.

So right now I'm in polishing stages and implementing features such as 1 collectible per level as well as a "fewest moves" counter. I'm actually raging to my own game with how hard it is to get "fewest moves" check in the harder levels. For the advanced levels I'm gonna add +1 to fewest moves as I myself find it hard to finish them with the fewest possible moves.

Coffee

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic