Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:54:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Animation
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Animation  (Read 895 times)
iamroky
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:24:13 PM »

Hi there,
We are small indie team developing a casual mobile game. We are trying to implement the following two effects in our game.
1. Ice to Normal Blocks:  https://youtu.be/q71RaKHn-iw?t=1227
Here a nice particle effect happens when all the ice blocks are turned to normal blocks. We want to do this.

// Aiming Dots:  https://youtu.be/q71RaKHn-iw?t=127
We want to implement this aiming dots for a ball in our game.

Does anyone know –
1. How to implement these two effects? We have a good programmer. Any link to an online reference will be enough.
2. Is there a asset at Unity asset store that could help us?

Thanks. Any suggestions appreciated.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:49 PM »

Using the comma and period keys to step frame-by-frame through the first video you linked is pretty informative. There's a frame where all of the blocks have one texture, then on the next frame they all swap to a different icy one, and a whole bunch of particle animations are started right around the center of each block. Pretty simple stuff.

I'm not sure I get what you're asking about the aiming dots - I mean, it's interpolating a series of sprites along a curved path. Are you asking about pre-calculating the curve that will be followed by an object acted upon by gravity, or some aspect of the animation, or something else?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like there's a built-in assumption to your two questions at the end that things like this will always have an accompanying tutorial or pre-built implementation that you can just drop into your project and have it work. Both of these seem like relatively simple things to invent from scratch, and that's almost certainly what was done in the game you're referencing. If you are trying to do them from scratch, where are you currently stuck? If you think they're too complicated to implement yourself, what makes them seem that way to you?

iamroky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 04:00:01 AM »

@ ThemsAllTook
In our game the aiming dots will be straight. I am not looking to solve the trajectory of the path. Just animation how the dots become smaller as they go forward. Is this done with sprite sheets or a script that resizes the dots?
It is true, I have a built-in assumption  that things like this will always have an accompanying tutorial or pre-built implementation that we can just drop into our project and have it work. When I ask around I almost always find that somewhere some programmer has already figures out what we are looking for and in many cases, there is an asset available.In most cases, it is not efficient to reinvent the wheel.
Our programmer is working on the aiming dots. He is busy with his classes and coding contests. I will have to discuss with him and find out his progress.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:19 AM »

In our game the aiming dots will be straight. I am not looking to solve the trajectory of the path. Just animation how the dots become smaller as they go forward. Is this done with sprite sheets or a script that resizes the dots?

The exact way of achieving something like that depends largely on how you implemented everything else. There is never a single solution and the ideal or easiest or most efficient will depend on how everything else in your game fits together. What I'm saying is you need to give a little more info to get better help.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic