Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:38:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSand Box Incentive
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sand Box Incentive  (Read 1167 times)
Deliverance
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:25:07 AM »

So I am working on creating a sandbox game of sorts.  The game is very story centered and you progress by completing plot driven side quests for characters.  But, I notice with games like Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, or Stardew Valley there is always something for the player to be investing into.  In AC you are paying off home loans and then purchasing furniture to create the ultimate room, I think without these functions the game wouldn't grab players attention as very few people actually want to catch all of the bugs and all of the fish.  In Harvest Moon & Star Dew valley you are always investing in your farm.

Here is what my game play is currently like: There is a town in the lower left and right hand corners of the map.  Everything else is swamp/forest and contains enemies, caves, and occasionally randomly placed NPCs.  You go to the forest from time to time to harvest lumber, herbs, or hunt animals (which you can harvest materials from).  You talk to NPCs who may give you specific multi part quest.  Sometimes NPCs request a specific item, they will pay in $ and XP in return.  Acquire enough XP, you unlock the next story mission.  You can mix and match pieces of your characters outfit with clothing you buy.  You can go fishing.  The game has bows and guns for combat levels, but I really want combat and hunting to be an after thought to the game.
This all seems fine and dandy, but I find myself wanting a way for players to invest and personalize the game more.I've already decided I don't want to integrate farming into the game.  I've thought of giving the character a house, but trying to implement a furniture engine and create around 100 pieces of furniture is more time then I can invest.  I thought of making one of the towns customizeable, in example you direct the mayor which new shops should be added and where, but I am concerned of this causing issues with the sidequests and needing specific NPCs for sidequests.
What are some cool things that have been done before?  Suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »

It sounds like an interesting game.

If the game is not combat focused.  The player doesn't get a farm or house.  What do they spend money on?

That really only leaves exploration.  Maybe have special locations scattered around that give useful treasures.  Maybe there is a mechanic where the player must pay money to open the treasure?
Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 01:13:47 AM »

Farming: Cultivating crops and/or livestock.
Home design: Cultivating a house.

You could try adding something players can cultivate.
arturoblanco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 05:21:56 AM »

Give the player character traits to get or skill levels to improve (faster moving, get more materials when picking them up, etc).

You can also introduce limitations and make the player invest in skills/items or just plot progress to lift said limitations (i.e. the player can't hunt X animal until he/she gets an skill, or a weapon, or a permit from an authority NPC).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:30:33 AM by arturoblanco » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic