Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:44:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSurvey: How can a game be adapted to make it more entertaining for the viewers?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Survey: How can a game be adapted to make it more entertaining for the viewers?  (Read 787 times)
KptnHolz
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:21:13 AM »

I would like to invite streamers, let’s players and fellow game designers to take part in a quick anonymous survey.

https://jurikn.limequery.com/918118?lang=en

This survey asks: "How can a game be adapted to make it more entertaining for the viewers of let’s play videos?”

The anonymous answer will help me find out, which game mechanics need to change/ be invented to achieve this goal.I will share my results with You!

How would you try to make a game more stream friendly?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:42:05 AM »

As someone who's both a developer and a let's player, this is a topic I've thought about a lot, though more on the technical side than the design side. The survey format doesn't really work for me, but here are a few of my notes:

• Make sure your pacing allows for clean episode boundaries. A lot of LPers like to have 30 minutes of footage per episode, though some tend to go for shorter or longer sessions. Long uninterrupted sequences of events with no clear break point in the middle can make recording session length hard to manage.
  • Keep backtracking and repetition to a minimum. This kind of thing can be edited out for a let's play, but streamers don't have that luxury, and it's more respectful to the LPer's time to not give them segments of gameplay that they'll be tempted to edit out.
  • If your game doesn't have voice acting, be aware that a commentator will probably want to read your dialogue out loud. This has several implications:
    • If you have distinct characters who speak, a commentator might want to give them unique voices. Be sure it's always clear who's speaking; for example, give each character a unique font, so that if they ever talk from offscreen, you can still tell whose voice to use to read that dialogue.
    • If there are nonsense words or names that might be hard to pronounce, consider including a glossary with pronunciation guides in it.
    • Whenever you write text that will be shown to the player, try reading it out loud to yourself to make sure it flows nicely.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic