Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:52:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFriktal: Exploring Infinity
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Friktal: Exploring Infinity  (Read 5548 times)
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »

Havent updated this is a while... I've still been cranking away at Friktal.

Since last update... added so damn much not sure what all to share... so I'll just go w the newest. I've been deep diving into the raymarcher engine we created to see what all I can figure out... happy to say all the hair pulling time has paid off. Friktal now has:

Textured raymarched surfaces including 3d surfacing, full PBR materials... I know.. yeah unity's standard shader does that stuff but a raymarcher cant use any of that. All roll your own here to make this work. Detail mapping and normals, emission mapping including shadow/dark emission that fades when light hits the surface. realtime shadows... self-shadows of fractal geometry. shader driven lighting/lenz flaring. God rays... and few other snazzy visual features. The audio processing engine that drives Friktal's fractal worlds has been overhauled several times and the cymatic effects are pretty spot on now. Inch closer to release.

screenshots of 3d surfacing/lighting/shadows/etc.

detail mapping w blended normals

Edge/Rim highlighting of both base fractal surface and/or texture normals. great for hologram-matrix mode effects

Kaleidoscopic mirroring -- realtime divide from top-bottom all the way to 32 divisions

Godrays light smearing of over-glow specular areas:

Texture tile hiding/masking... implementation from a super clever white paper I read:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUKTWD5kSRM&feature=youtu.be

In-game single key GIF capture:

Realtime volumetric clouds that flow billow and flow to the music:

Fairly recent dev stream playing w the 3d surfacing.. see how the worlds morph and move:
https://youtu.be/buo_lKVZ_0U?t=2501

misc:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:30:16 AM by friken » Logged

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:14 PM »

This looks amazing in still pictures, but I loose all interest as soon as it moves. I want to explore these strange yet charming worlds. I do not want a flashy beat on top. Hm. I'll still have a look when it's released.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »

Still working on Friktal.... all these months (years) later Smiley Added realtime video and webcam support for the virus lockdown... getting bored and need to dance it out:

goocy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 02:29:09 PM »

Hey man, I really appreciate your progress, but I've also been excited to see it in action for the last two years.
Couldn't you just start releasing already? I don't have any problem paying for it.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »

Makes two of us! I have to admit this last year has kicked me in the teeth life and project wise. Luckily, things are working out and I have every intention of getting back on this full time and seeing it to completion. Thanks for the interest. You can join our discord server: https://discord.gg/VWdVyPr . I need to put up a new link to the free demo (but old but still fun). You can also get more current development builds to play with by supporting my patreon. I appreciate the interest. I need to update this blog too.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 06:54:58 PM »

Back at work on friktal after a long break on a different game proj...

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2023, 02:38:23 AM »

I like. Looks Myst-style weird, which is a good thing. Although the lensflares have an amateurish vibe to me.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 01:04:33 AM »

Have you offered this for art museums as an exhibition? It could be a cool experience to be in a room with animations like these projected on every wall. And as it is already interactive, it could react to the movements of the visitors etc.

Looking at things like this with VR would probably cause nausea…

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »

Hey, weren't you the guy who worked on StarDiver? What happened to that game btw? I was really looking forward to it Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic