Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:09:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMaking a website
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Making a website  (Read 1153 times)
PlainOldGeorge
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:20:16 PM »

I have been planning a game for a few years, now is around when it is starting to be developed, this means making something to show off, investment campaign... all that jazz. I do not entirely understand what kind of website I should have or what should be on it beside an about the game, and buy me at the very least. I really do not know much about making a website.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:02:14 AM »

I recommend just using itch.io for uploading and making a game page. So you can focus your energy on making the game.

KOEX studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 06:17:53 PM »

I used Weebly for my first game website. It is just drag and drop to make your website, pretty easy.

Wix is pretty good too.

peteuplink
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »

I created a blogger account and redirected it to a custom url for my website. it's not perfect but it'll do for now.

Independent video game developer from Manchester, UK. Survivor of the Bedroom Programmer years. Former ZX81, C64 and Amiga user.
Dre Reid
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:13 PM »

You can use wordpress to create a nice site.
risen28
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »

I would as suggested get the game onto blogs and websites and platforms that are known for marketing games. I rarely so to or see independent game website. Theres Ea, steam ect ect those are the guys that have the websites.

Getting a website made is easy.. wix, WordPress are all options if you want to spend minimal time.

If you are creating the website to create awareness and market the game its another story, websites need alot of time to Seo and marketing.

If you are creating it purely for a extended online reference/showcase for already established marketing channels then it makes more sense and couldn't hurt.

If you are planning to create more games in the future I would suggest keeping that in mind whilst choosing your platform for your website and may want to forego wix.

If there is no enemy with , the enemy outside can do us no harm.
geraldfingburke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 05:46:42 AM »

I wouldn't bother with having a bespoke website for the game. As others have said, itch.io will host your game. They've been adding a bunch of community management tools as well. If you were to have a personal or studio site, it would be super easy just to do mysite.com/mygame. That said, I absolutely would not spend money where I didn't have to. People usually get around using links, so as long as you have a link that reliably gets you to a page with info about your game you're good. There are tons of great free options for that. Don't let your ego blow your money. I speak from experience, as the proud owner of GeraldBurke.com, a site that consists entirely of links to my itch.io page.
Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »

parroting others in dont worry about a bespoke website

just use Itch.io

it's free and each game gets their own web page you can customize to almost frighteningly liberal degrees

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic