Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:42:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOverlink - 3D Logic Puzzles (Now in Preorder!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overlink - 3D Logic Puzzles (Now in Preorder!)  (Read 1036 times)
dyarosla
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »

Overlink

Launch date announced: Mar 1/2019
Pre-order Today! (iOS, Free)

Overview
Want something new to puzzle over?

I'm excited to share with you Overlink, a logic puzzle game that I've been working on. It plays like Numberlink but on the surface of various PolyCubes. You need to link all the same colored squares together, as well as trace over every lit tile. Each level has a unique solution that can be arrived at by deductive reasoning.

You can see some gameplay footage over on Twitter: Gameplay Video

And some screenies here:

Let me know what you think so far!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:25:35 PM by dyarosla » Logged
da_neel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:01:38 AM »

Amazing art-style!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:12:35 AM »

Love this sort of stuff!

dyarosla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:40 PM »

Colors

This week my focus has been on colors and contrasts. I've always had a hard time choosing colors and feel like every time I dive into picking colors out, I learn something new about how they work. This time, I found this gem of a website that makes finding nice color pairings a breeze: pigment.shapefactory.co. Unfortunately, I would find that I'd bring in a color scheme that looked great, apply it to the app, and it would just look terrible in practice. What gives?!

In-Game Color Schemes

I realized that for Overlink, there were multiple requirements for contrasts in the app - specifically for the links, lines and tiles all have to contrast starkly between themselves. This left little room for color options on the base models and backgrounds. The good thing is that because the models take up so much screen real-estate, I could pick palettes that can have some amount of tonal similarity.

And here are some of the color schemes I came up with:

This last color scheme has an accompanying gameplay video over on our twitter: New Color Scheme Video

I'm happy for the most part- however lighting in the scene adds another layer of complexity to the whole thing. When certain colors are lit up in the 3D scene, some of the contrasts I planned for end up getting lost. One such issue comes up in the yellow scheme. If we turn it grayscale...

The addition of light sources effects the colors in such a way that makes for the red and blue tones to be too similar. I'll probably come back and see whether I need to adjust my initial design color palettes to account for the color changes lighting in the scene will cause.

Icon Design

I also began work on the app icon... and a lot of work at that. First off, I had a hard time coming up with a visual that was representative of the gameplay. I went through a ton of iterations.

All the app icons I looked at that I liked had very strong tonal contrasts. That said, they also had some resemblance to the colors found in their respective apps as well- which in my case, were two contradictory color requirements.

Here is a brief look at some of the iterations I went through to get to the final icon:

I do believe I found success in the end! Finally, I was able to come up with a minimalist design that outlined the O in Overlink, the Link-ing nature of the app, and the 3D puzzle design of the app.

Here's the icon in grayscale:

and finally, in color:

It took way longer than it probably should have, but now I have an icon I'm happy to launch (at least a first version) with!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:28:38 PM by dyarosla » Logged
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »

Looks really nice! Your hard work on the colors is paying off for sure.

I make video/tabletop games and music!
dyarosla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:58:26 AM »

Launch Date

Today brings us one major step closer to launch!
I'm happy to announce that Overlink will be first released on March 1st for iOS. And with that said...here's a

Pre-order link! (Free)

Level Select

I've also updated the level select in Overlink. Puzzles are at the core of the game, so I wanted to designed something that kept them always visible and at the forefront, even when the level select is open. Here's what I came up with, video and screeny:
dyarosla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:28:06 PM »

It's fun getting creative with some of the level packs. Today I started on an "Animals" pack.

Here's a cat for ya:

walaber
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »

pre-ordered!  looks really great!

Indie developer, especially interested in physics of the human body, currently working on untitled gymnastics/acrobatics game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic