Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:18:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow close are we to deep dive / full immersion VR?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How close are we to deep dive / full immersion VR?  (Read 1414 times)
Obsessed With Gaming
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:23:01 AM »

Will it happen within our lifetime ( in 30-70 years)?

By using Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039???) ,NerveGear, exo-skeletons, positional monitoring maybe?

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)

And is VR a replacement for reality? As in will it stop people from physically travelling and going outside?

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »

I personally don't think the average consumer will be ready and willing to adopt any BCI tech in the near future... Just look at Google Glass - the average consumer isn't even willing to wear a small computer on their face, never mind hook one up to their brain.

... apart from people who are maintaining the system...
I don't see any reason why you wont be able to do development and maintenance on a system like this from the inside  Tongue Gentleman

As to your last point, this is actually something I've been thinking about a lot lately... As the digital experience becomes more immersive, and services like Amazon Prime, Uber Eats, etc, give you fewer and fewer reasons to leave your house - I can easily visualize a not-too-distant future in which working (and schooling) from home is the norm, and leaving your home is a matter of recreation, and less-so necessity.

What are your own thoughts on the matter?
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:19 PM »

I hope we are close because there's a few things I'd like to experience that would only really be possible in full immersion VR.

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:08:58 AM »

Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039???)
only neural lace elon musk has is a small piece of paper laced with lsd he takes every day to become bioinvincible
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 04:29:35 AM »

remember when elon musk said "man have you guys seen this movie the matrix" and journalists and weird internet nerds all scrambled to suck his dick as fast as possible for being the first to come up with such a deep and original suggestion

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »

I hope we are close because there's a few things I'd like to experience that would only really be possible in full immersion VR.

Or in a lucid dream/OBE?
velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 06:20:40 PM »

Or in a lucid dream/OBE?

Yeah but for meI could never get lucid dreams to work and I dunno how one would have an OBE in a safe way so I'd say the ideal way to experience the impossible(Wink) would be fullIm vr.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 04:26:52 AM »

VR currently isn't VR, it's only VV (virtual vision).
We are a long way away from VR (smell, touch, heat/cold, acceleration, movement,..)
Reality my ass.

ManicMatt
Level 0

Musican and developer known as Because Because

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:30 PM »

So would we just lie there and think we're getting excercise when we're not? Some VR games have great for exercise, which is a win-win for me, fun and calories burned. I don't like the idea of wasting away in a machine.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »

We are a long way away from VR (smell, touch, heat/cold, acceleration, movement,..)
Reality my ass.

Visual presence is still a pretty big deal. It's the sense that gives us the largest amount of information at a time. Today's VR is definitely limited, but there's still a lot of worth in what it can currently do. Some types of experience feel mostly complete with only visual and auditory feedback.

So would we just lie there and think we're getting excercise when we're not? Some VR games have great for exercise, which is a win-win for me, fun and calories burned. I don't like the idea of wasting away in a machine.

Maybe rather than wasting away, a machine could give us a more efficient way to exercise than anything we have today. While there would definitely be pathological ways to use a full-immersion VR system, that's inevitable with any new tool. I don't see the potential for harm outweighing the potential for good. We just have to keep experimenting to learn which path leads where.

velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »

Reality my ass.

Well touch, iirc there are vr gloves with haptic feedback available(or like in the works) One of my friends is making a VR game and briefly mentioned it to me. I'm not sure how it exactly works or what the limitations are but his game would give simple feedback, nothing too extreme.

But I agree, VR is a misnomer.

ManicMatt
Level 0

Musican and developer known as Because Because

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »

ThemsAllTook, yeah that'd be good. It would be needed, or a time out that temporarily locks you out of the vr world if you've been in it for longer than say.. 8 hours straight, should people get like Jake in Avatar and spend most of their time in VR.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »

simple immersion method i use is putting my nose up my ass.
(sniff) exquisite (sniff) unRivaled
RomashkaX
Level 0

typeof null

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »

My experience says that we still need higher resolution and wider pov.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »

I wrote a couple of blog post about my thoughts on the subject. [1][2]

I think we are very far from it. A full dive needs quite a number of technological hurdles to overcome. And overcoming is not good enough, as you still need it to be commercially viable.

The basic point I make is that it will take a long time for VR to achieve its stated goal, if ever; But immersion in games is currently achieved the same way a good book or movie does, with a good story and a way of absorbing it that allows you to rest your body and focus your attention completely on the subject. So, sure, full VR dive might be frustratingly far away, but regular immersion might just be a matter of ditching motion controllers and designing with a more open mind. People are still drawn to VR for its promise of full body immersion but currently the best VR games, in my opinion, are counter intuitively third person platformers, of all things.

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »

Yeah, agreed with diegzumillo. There are dozens and dozens of hurdles to overcome, and it has yet to address the very first one - "Do people even want this?"

People are very resistant to technology that demand their full attention. We let computers and phones consume us, but we always have the option to look away, or to multitask, or to react to something going on around us. VR is the antithesis of that - in a similar camp as 3D TVs - and I think it'll require generational changes

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic