Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:14:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPlatformer.txt a game where you manipulate files to go through levels
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformer.txt a game where you manipulate files to go through levels  (Read 690 times)
-Coda-
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:54:50 AM »

https://flght.itch.io/plateformertxt

Platformer.txt is a game where you manipulate files to influence the state of the game and your avatar in order to complete the different levels.

i would like feedbacks on this version of the game. There is some issue with the reset on certain levels and the visual part is not done at all yet. Sounds and feedbacks are mostly placeholders but i would like feedback on the game and advices on it

you can subscribe to this newsletter to follow the developement of the game https://tinyletter.com/Platformertxt
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:34:11 AM »

Hi,

I tried your game out and here is the feedback in no particular order:

- I liked the concept of manipulating object's properties in the level to be able to finish it.

- I liked the aesthetic feel and how simple and abstract it is.

- I didn't like the mechanic of manipulating the files and having to go through file system + the game. I think the manipulation mechanic is pretty spot on. However the file system method to do that is cumbersome and just not fun. I would suggest that you embed this into the game itself. So instead of a file system you can inspect different parts of the level and choose how to manipulate them based on the allowed options. There are a few games that did this (forgot their name) but one stuck out to me where you are inside of a game and all objects have these properties upon inspection so you can take the property "flying" from a flying object and put it on a rock and it will fly. Solving puzzles in the game was all about this particular mechanic. 

- I liked the animation when you jumped but I didn't like that I had to use arrow keys and WASD worked ONLY for left and right. Space didn't work for jump either.

All in all you have an interesting concept with potential. I liked it, I just felt that the file system method isn't the best approach and felt more like a deterrent than anything else.

Hope that helps.

-Coda-
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 02:23:07 AM »

Thank you for the feedback, making the file system in game was one of the thing i thought of cause i know that using the file   system and going from the file system to the game and this repetitevely, was not something ideal

I will change that and the controls
thank you  Grin
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:42:23 AM »

Great, looking forward to the next iteration Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic