Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:59:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98093 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

I feel like there's only one appropriate response to these beautiful gifs and screenshots:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »

Dang, "these hills sing" was difficult to make out, I had to look the quote up online to hear what he was saying. Shocked Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:18:33 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »

This reminds me of a very specific level in Mario Sunshine
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2019, 06:07:45 PM »

Wow this is looking very nice!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2019, 07:03:24 AM »

Wow this is looking very nice!

Thank you!!

This reminds me of a very specific level in Mario Sunshine

What level would that be? 0: Been a while since I played…
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:18:02 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2019, 07:04:51 AM »

Some bonus techy stuff without all the words:

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2019, 07:34:57 AM »

Good god that looks pretty.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2019, 08:36:28 AM »

Tears of Joy thank you!!!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »

What level would that be? 0: Been a while since I played…
There is a beach level

Had to look up the name myself. Sirena Beach: the Manta Storm

EDIT: mind you, I have protanomaly so the colors are probably completely different to people who aren't color vision deficient :p
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2019, 08:49:36 AM »

Oh, yeah! That one! No, the colours look quite similar to me as well! c:

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2019, 03:01:39 PM »

Thank you!!

The edge detection is all in one pass but it does require multiple texture samples. The effect is taking place in 2D space as an image filter basically, so it could be done with UI too but that might get messy.

Not too expensive so far!

I have GOT to get better with shaders.  It seems like all of the best stuff is done in shaders.  I saw some screenshots of a game that has no models or textures, just everything generated in shaders.  It seems like a skill worth picking up.  But where's the time?

Fantastic work, again.  Just lovely stuff.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »

Thanks again! Kiss Tech art has quickly become one of my favourite things ever since I got into it, so I keep trying to find excuses to learn more all the time, haha. So at least for me, I've been finding the time by sneaking it into any project I would be working on anyway, especially game jams.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »

Tiny update again that doesn't warrant a number. Played around some more with the clouds and got the skybox properly integrated with the painterly shader!

For fun I kind of matched the ImGui colours to the game. Cheesy Here are my bazillion skybox parameters:

fluffrabbit
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »

Wow. I tried something like this in Godot a few years ago and failed miserably. Inspired and intimidated.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2019, 07:10:25 AM »

Wow. I tried something like this in Godot a few years ago and failed miserably. Inspired and intimidated.

Not sure how to take the intimidated part haha Shocked But glad to inspire!

It's all very faked, really. It's a big infinite sphere around the world with a gradient wrapped around it and the sun placed where the directional light is pointing from (which is how it can sparkle on the water thanks to a specular calculation; there are no reflections going on yet), and the clouds are projected as if on an infinite plane and their colours are pulled from the same gradient as the sky, with yellow mapped to low alpha and purple mapped to high alpha!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2019, 07:13:35 AM »

I'm getting quite spammy here, but it was suggested to me that the sky probably shouldn't get as dark on the side opposite to the sun as it was, so I tried changing that, and I agree! Much better! Quite happy with this now. Should move on to something else. Tongue

fluffrabbit
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:50 AM »

It's all very faked, really. It's a big infinite sphere around the world with a gradient wrapped around it and the sun placed where the directional light is pointing from (which is how it can sparkle on the water thanks to a specular calculation; there are no reflections going on yet), and the clouds are projected as if on an infinite plane and their colours are pulled from the same gradient as the sky, with yellow mapped to low alpha and purple mapped to high alpha!

So it's shader uniforms rather than dynamic IBL. That would explain why it's not lagging. All that math in the shader, huh? No geometry for the cloud layer?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »

Yeah. I actually set the fog colour to whatever the sky is in that direction which is why it kind of looks like the sea is reflecting the colours of sky, but that's super fake too. Cheesy

The clouds are actually rendered on that infinite sphere too with a bit of maths to distort it too look like a flat plane instead of the bowl that it is. It involved some initially scary maths that was eventually simplified to almost nothing in a hilarious moment yesterday~

fluffrabbit
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »

Accounting for varying fog color is something I hadn't even considered. Sampling using some kind of spherical distance I see. I'll have to work this into my own engine. Thanks :D
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2019, 01:00:20 PM »

Moon and snow

The moon has joined the sun and snow is falling! Sorry, another graphical update with no new work done on gameplay, but it's very therapeutic for me to work on…

It's a little broken right now because the topology of the geometry needs to be done a certain way for the snow shader to work well and I haven't gone through the entire level to fix it. But not too bad!

Stills:

Here's a timelapse of the updated skysphere from before I added the snow:

A timelapse of snow piling up:

Bonus

The freshly added particle system basically just takes a regular renderable of any kind and issues a bunch of draw calls, so particles don't have to be sprites, but can be fully rendered 3D objects with shadows and piles of snow and all… Huh?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:51:46 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic