Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:00:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 95009 times)
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »

Hmmm... so this is what led to the devastation of the town!

This is all looking wonderful Smiley

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »

Cheesy Thank you!

Also aaghhh, I just noticed I had accidentally deactivated the shadows and fog in my GIFs! Recorded new ones and updated the post. Sorry about that!

Reposting the main GIF here since it got paged—there’s more than this one on the previous page!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:02:06 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »

snowing whales  Who, Me?
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2019, 09:41:04 PM »

Looking gorgeous! If it's no too early to ask; what type of gameplay do you have in mind for this?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2019, 01:34:29 AM »

Thanks! Kiss

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the earlier updates (this one in particular) and if so how enlightening they were, but basically you’re stuck in a time loop trying to figure out what happened leading up to the destruction of the town. There are physical gaps where pieces of the past are missing that you have to unlock to get the whole picture. You need to observe, listen in on conversations and take photos of key events and places and people and show your photographs to people after connecting the dots to try and elicit memories that will fill in the gaps.

Showing photos can also alter the actions of characters and change the course of any given cycle of the loop. You can rewind and fast forward and freeze time as you wish, no waiting around or doing things all over again if you make a mistake.

Your character isn’t physically in the same space as the people in the past and so cannot interact directly but must try and establish contact with the remnant (ghost, spirit, soul, not sure what English translation to go for since they all carry connotations that don’t necessarily exist in the game’s world) of these already dead people to help them and get their help. So you’re not physically showing them the photos but rather “possessing” them with “visions”.

There is also another element that I want to keep secret since I want it to be a surprise during play. Ninja

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2019, 04:46:05 AM »

Great. Looking forward to see these things implemented.
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »

footprints please
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again."
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »

Great. Looking forward to see these things implemented.

Thanks! A lot of it already is, code-wise, so next I need to make it all work nicely together and present it to the player in a way that makes sense. c:

footprints please

Coming! Not from the main character, however, since they're not actually there and can't interact with the snow anymore than with the other characters~

"Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again."

!! why didn't i think of this

This did happen tho, so it's clearly in the air.

Pun not intended.

Arvianth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »

Light snow with a chance of whales :D Looks great!

Composer for games ^^
Soundcloud
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2019, 02:15:42 AM »

Thank you!

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2019, 05:09:08 AM »

You are adding a lot of features, cool!  Smiley

Games:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »

Thanks! Gomez
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:26:41 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »

Back on track?

I've been taking detours from working on the actual game by messing with graphics in the last few updates. And I've actually gone back to playing with it again for the last three days. But before that I spent a lot of time trying to get back into working on the actual gameplay and did a bunch of writing to figure stuff out, and put a bunch of plans into a planning board, so I have an idea of what to implement next, and I started a bit on that!

Doesn't look like much, of course. But it's a good a start, and I had to do a fair bit of plumbing even to get this working, because this NPC is not a ghostly memory tied to the cycle in the past, but actually needed to be scheduled with actions to carry out on interaction on a separate timer since they're a person you can actually interact with directly at the beginning of the game before the first window into the past is even opened.

This is going to work as the introduction to the game: you meet this person, interact, and learn about the main mechanics of photography and unlocking memories almost right away. Then the first time bubble is going to open.

But yeah, also been working a bit more with the watercolour effect I want… Still not quite there, but the basic shader seems fairly decent now. Hard to know for sure before there are more patterns and colours in there for it to work with. So many big single-coloured surfaces at the moment, the snow shader is still kind of broken, and characters still get mushier than I want. Here's a strategically chosen angle:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:10:20 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

The ambient colors are really nice. Combined with the falling snow and that warm light on the door, there's a lovely mood even in this early state. Great work as always!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »

Thank you!! Kiss

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »

Bubblier and betterer

Did some more work on that intro section! Finally rewrote the code dealing with all these sequences of queued up events and so on too to get it out of its initial slapdash state that was getting spaghettier by the day. Nice and clean and bug-free now!

Still very WIP obviously, but now at least every step is in there so I just need to work on presentation. I think I want a cooler cutscene for the bubble with stuff happening around the character and not just a camera pan like this.

There's also a first step toward the graphical separation of either side of a time bubble. Right now just black and white but I want it to look basically like a line sketch that has not been filled in with watercolour yet. And I want some kind of aura or whatever around the bubbles with a cool effect as you walk through, and the transition to the other time's sky and so on should be animated and not as abrupt as it is now.

Also water rendering is broken ATM and doesn't follow the bubble stuff. Will fix!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:28:24 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »

Really like where it's going, looks great! Also think that it would be cool if your bubble have some cool effect in the air, it could behave like some glassy sphere with refraction

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2019, 01:51:42 AM »

Looks good, and it's nice to see how you turned the WIP parts into funny little jokes Smiley

> hey wow nice bird photo

I don't know why but this struck a chord
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2019, 03:32:24 AM »

Thank you two!

Basically have something like that in mind, Shephf! c:

I do worry that I’m ruining what’s not supposed to be that silly in the end by presenting it like this right now but I feel like it’s a good reminder to myself and everyone seeing it just how WIP it still is. Would look weird if the dialogue was all serious but the visuals were still these motionless balloonheads. Giggle

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic