Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:18:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98180 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: November 01, 2020, 12:18:17 AM »

Tree

More graphics! Had some fun today figuring out stylised foliage.

And a GIF this time Smiley No wind in the leaves yet!

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

Had some fun today figuring out stylised foliage.
Can you tell a bit more about how that went? The results look amazing!
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: November 01, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »

Nice. The colours are beautiful. All your things have a slight noise silhouette, I guess it's a side effect of the WaterColour shader. Doesn't bother me, though.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2020, 12:33:31 AM »

I mean, that's what watercolors do on physical watercolor paper as well so that fits, no?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »

Thank you two! Yeah, it's an intentional part of the shader. c:

Can you tell a bit more about how that went?

Sure!

I started by just throwing together a rough shape and then turned it into a particle system that generated a bunch of triangles to fill out this volume:

I kept the triangles and got rid of the original mesh. In game that would look like this (rendering both sides of each triangle):

Next step was to make a cutout to leave only a circle (UV-mapped the triangle in a way that made this very simple):

Like so (the origin of each triangle was also set to the middle of this circle so that the particles would spawn nicely):

The normals were all over the place at this point so the lighting looked off. Instead of using the real normals, I just used the direction from the middle of the crown towards the triangle, resulting in lighting basically as if it were just a smooth spherical shape:

The crown had also been set not to receive shadows as the lighting itself provided enough contrast for my tastes. Smiley Finally I did another cutout step using a cloudy texture to get the leafy look:

And of course the texture itself (which is just a tiling blend of the colours you see painted with watercolour brushes in GIMP) is sort of spread out across the crown as if it were one contiguous object, rather than using the individual texture coordinates of each triangle~

As for the workflow, this time I actually "wrote" the shader in Blender first (using nodes) so that I knew basically what to do once it was time to write the actual shader code for the game. Have almost never done that, so that was fun (looks a bit different here because I did the fine-tuning in the game shader)!

Hope that was interesting! Grin

TwistingYarn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »

Looking goooood!  Grin

Twitter: @TwistingYarn
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 01, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »

Sphererizing  normals looks so good!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 01, 2020, 09:48:50 AM »

Thanks! It's a fun technique, yeah!

LaureDM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: November 01, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »

This watercolour shader looks amazing! Love the colours as well, excited to see more!  Kiss
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 01, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »

Thank you so much! Hope to keep having more to show. Cheesy

I do have one tiny update right now, which is a bit of wind blowing through the leaves since I already had the code lying around from the last time I made a tree:

No specific wind direction in mind right now, won't worry about that until I get to waving flags and clothes and stuff, but I do have an idea… Gomez

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 01, 2020, 12:42:55 PM »

Thanks for the write-up, very nice technique!

I guess the wind is done with a geometry shader that moves the entire triangles? As it is it kind of breaks the illusion of having many leaves for me because the movement groups them back into one blob again
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 01, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »

Thank you! Yeah, it’s in the vertex shader, nudging the points a tad. I figured maybe the blobs could be seen as branches with leaves together but maybe I can add some per-pixel movement based on the cloudy mask in the fragment shader as well, I’ll try that the next time I’m working on the game! And glad you liked the breakdown. Coffee

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: November 01, 2020, 12:58:37 PM »

Cool, your description of technique was very interesting. Gentleman

Resulting tree with a bit of wind looks great. I'm kinda starting to like your small village. It's far from done but it has already a lot of charm. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2020, 04:56:16 AM »

Thank you! c: The place does start to feel a bit more real with every addition. Gomez

Also I tried the per-pixel leaf movement today but it was a bit tricky. I have an idea but I'm too lazy to try it out right now and want to do something else for the time being, so we'll see when I get on that~

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 02, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »

Ohhh wow the tree and that GIF with the falling snow are really bringing things to life! Very nice work!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 02, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »

Beau-tree-ful!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »

Thank you two! Kiss

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »

Sky

Got rid of the clouds and the sun for the last few pictures as the old graphics didn't really jive with the new shader and stuff, but now I've made brand new ones!

Colours still need some fiddling but after two days of messing with this I'm quite happy with it overall!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2020, 01:17:20 AM »

Do those clouds spread like watercolors on dry paper? Grin
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2020, 04:06:48 AM »

Not when you're already there, but that's kind of what I'm hoping I can get the transition between time pockets to look like (painted inside, line sketch outside) Who, Me? Whole thing tho, not just clouds specifically

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 04, 2020, 04:15:55 AM »

I love the saturated-edge watercolor effect that they have. Is that done in the texture or in the shader? I imagine the former gives more control but the later would give more flexibility. Or is it again a "hybrid" trick?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic