Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:48:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98192 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 02, 2020, 01:49:45 AM »

Thank you three! Kiss

Mostly took a break for the rest of the week, besides sketching out an updated overview of the square and updating the ground model to fit:

Excellent as always. The place is taking a shape and it looks beauuutiful. Kiss
Hi Prinsessa! It took me some time to get an overview over your devlog. Your game looks amazing and I admire your consistency. You earned your little break for the week Wink
Interesting how big of a contrast there is between the sketches and the 3D render. I imagine you have the second pic in your head as you sketch it out, but I wouldn't be able to translate that from the page!

Results look good as always!
amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »

Hey just catching up here and ... WOW!!! ... I adore that watercolor shader of yours.  (And also the clouds in the sky - are they dynamic or static?)

It's such a lovely place you're building - it makes me very interested to learn more about the mystery beneath the surface - the events being discovered on multiple timelines.

Also, the architectural style has so many common threads between buildings, it really evokes a culture and a unity of vision among the inhabitants (or the builders, at least).  Again, it's hinting at a story there.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2020, 08:29:47 AM »

Hey, you're an archaeologist, surely you can speculate more about this long lost digital civilization based on these buildings?  Tongue
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2020, 05:24:18 AM »

Thank you so much, everyone!

Break got longer as I got a bit ill, and now that I'm feeling better again my attention has been stolen by other interests, but I'm sure I'll be back on this soon. Need a bit of variety~

Interesting how big of a contrast there is between the sketches and the 3D render. I imagine you have the second pic in your head as you sketch it out, but I wouldn't be able to translate that from the page!

There are some inconsistencies at the moment to be fair. Cheesy The shapes and positions don't quite match up yet (if they're even going to) and there are more things in the sketch that I haven't added in 3D yet, and I drew the sketch without looking at the 3D, just guesstimating. Tongue

And also the clouds in the sky - are they dynamic or static?

They move and wobble a bit, but they don't morph altogether unfortunately. I might look into that at some point. Smiley

It's such a lovely place you're building - it makes me very interested to learn more about the mystery beneath the surface - the events being discovered on multiple timelines.

Also, the architectural style has so many common threads between buildings, it really evokes a culture and a unity of vision among the inhabitants (or the builders, at least).  Again, it's hinting at a story there.

That means a lot coming from an architecture person, thanks again so much! Kiss
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:33:41 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »

Bridging the gap

Hello again! Haven't been much on the computer this week but was itching to get back to the game, so I started simple today by blocking out a smaller bridge, and adding some more ground across the water for it as well as the other larger bridge to connect to.

Will probably duplicate it on the other side of the fountain as well, but I was mostly interested in seeing it on the café side for now. Smiley

Quite visible here also that the tree's shadow is still showing the underlying triangles and not the leaf cutouts. Cheesy Will fix that later.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »

Beauuutiful as always. Kiss It has soul, I'm starting to be bound to this little town somehow. Smiley

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2020, 10:38:15 PM »

Beauuutiful as always. Kiss It has soul, I'm starting to be bound to this little town somehow. Smiley

Same here. The images of the town always give me a little feeling of being on vacation Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 12, 2020, 08:36:58 AM »

Thank you two!! Cry That makes me so happy to hear!

I added a bridge on the other side as well and fixed up the geometry to work with the snow:

I just don't really feel like working on programming for the time being, so I think I'll actually fix the café up a bit more after all, see if I can get a more complete atmospheric screenshot with the snow in time for Christmas. Don't have to worry about gushing water in the fountain either if it's frozen solid~ Cheesy

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: December 12, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »

Its admirable that you can in fact work on both, programming and art. As I'm really crappy artist (that's why I'm making such games, avoiding drawing or modeling). Being good artist and programmer is powerful combination! Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right

dumlutilti
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 13, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »

This is true
It's been awesome watching progress on Twitter. Truly impressive work!

I really like the camera mechanic, but I'm curious how exactly it'll be used in gameplay. What's the purpose of taking pictures from a game mechanic standpoint?
Suttebun
« Reply #390 on: December 13, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »

I just don't really feel like working on programming for the time being
(-_☆) I get you there, sister
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2020, 03:15:46 AM »

Thank youuu! Tears of Joy Digital art is basically why I got into programming!

Been a while since an in-game screenshot I guess, so here's one of those too:

Decreased the field of view a bit, helped making things not look too weirdly huge as well.

I really like the camera mechanic, but I'm curious how exactly it'll be used in gameplay. What's the purpose of taking pictures from a game mechanic standpoint?

It's basically your main way to interact. c:

Photos will help you organise the info you gather. Specific moments, places, characters and so on that are captured can be used for progression. Things like names and relationships will get filled in as you learn about them. I'm not sure if it'll be necessary depending on the final size of the game, but I also have the idea of using photos as save/warp points.

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: December 15, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »

Nice to see those assets which we were able to see detailed when in development now in one picture.

IMO, I don't know with this field of view, you are detailed in your art, so it's not harmful if things look bigger => narrower FOV. It will not be "Quake 3 Arena" for sure, where one wants to pack into one screen as much as possible. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 15, 2020, 01:54:38 PM »

True! It's still a fairly wide FOV now, so I'm happy with it. But I looked up pictures of Quake 3 Arena, and wow, that is wide! Cheesy

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 15, 2020, 03:40:08 PM »

Café windows and colours

Continuing the trend of frequent smaller updates and posting this even tho the café is still far from done. c:

Threw on some basic colours, again just using the fountain texture, so they may change when the café gets its own.

I also came up with some shapes for the "inner framing" of the window. Tracery? Might look more like window guards now but it's meant to be part of the main window frame (still missing) with glass inside later.

I also decreased the size of the fountain a lot because after running around in-game a bit it just felt ridiculously oversized. Just the main actual fountain part, not the monument as a whole:

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: December 15, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

Hmm, I would like to take fresh coffee in that cafeteria. Smiley

kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: December 15, 2020, 09:12:16 PM »

Looks great, I feel like the inside of the window looks like something I'd see in real life so good job! :D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2020, 04:14:55 AM »

Thanks! The game will be legitimate once hot drinks are in place. Coffee

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2020, 06:03:54 AM »

Looking like it'll be a really cozy place to hang out! I also really like the sawtooth shape of the rooftops, event though that pattern would probably retain a bit more rain than you'd want haha

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2020, 06:27:19 AM »

Haha, yeah, I actually did consider that and decided to err on the side of the rule of cool pretty. Cheesy But maybe each level could have its own gutter, that'd be a fun quirk of the architectural language of this place, and match pretty well with all the channels for water to run through all throughout the town.

EDIT:

After making my last post I noticed how huge the steps on the stairs were compared to the character. Turns out even when trying to use real-world units and placing blocky people next to the models, I just can't tell until I get things into the actual game. Shrug The whole thing, fountain, stairs, bridge, is now 85% of its former size, which feels a lot better:

The bridge still needed to be the same length to cross the canal tho, so there was room for a whole other arch!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:57:24 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic