Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:08:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 94994 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »

Edge frame?

Been playing around with a small border around the sides of the window as if the picture was not fully painted to fill out the paper.

Maybe this is too intense, and posting this I'm noticing you can see repetition along the bottom, but I'll play around with it!

It's achieved using the same bleeding watercolour effect that I'm using for the lighting, which means this could be use to create some interesting transitions and effects:

I've been using Zelda-style black letterboxing when listening in on a conversation, but that doesn't quite suit this art style, so maybe I could do it like so now:

Of course conversations don't necessarily have to be visually differentiated from regular gameplay, but maybe this can work.

As a bonus, currently having some inspiring weather:

Looks awesome, but at the same time I'm too trained to interpret it like a flashback, a dream-sequence or a memory if the edges aren't filled to think of it any other way. Which may or may not be what you're going for Wink

(Oh it actually sticks around where you are? Here in Malmö it's just molten coldness Sad )
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2021, 07:25:22 AM »

Thanks! I guess it kind of works here then, since the whole game basically is a flashback haha

(No guarantee that it'll stay for more than a day or two, but we'll see! I'm relatively to the south, but even the southernmost of Norway is a fair bit further north than that of Sweden so I guess the difference can be significant Waaagh!)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2021, 07:36:16 AM »

Nice, it looks like an appropriate stylistic choice then. And if you have any scenes that aren't flashbacks you can graphically hint at that by removing the border.

(either way it's a good excuse for hot chocolate and watching series underneath a cosy blanket Coffee )
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2021, 09:14:26 AM »

Hooray for inspiring weather! \o/

And the gif where the borders are the thickest kinda reminds me of a postcard, there might be some interesting stuff you could do with that stylistically!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2021, 11:25:06 AM »

Nice, it looks like an appropriate stylistic choice then. And if you have any scenes that aren't flashbacks you can graphically hint at that by removing the border.

Ohh, that's also worth keeping in mind, yeah!

(either way it's a good excuse for hot chocolate and watching series underneath a cosy blanket Coffee )

Since our heat pump is broken it's also an excuse to make up a fire Coffee

And the gif where the borders are the thickest kinda reminds me of a postcard, there might be some interesting stuff you could do with that stylistically!

Perfect, considering I was inspired to do it in the game after first doing it by hand in GIMP for a digital Christmas card Cheesy

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2021, 11:25:51 AM »

I've been using Zelda-style black letterboxing when listening in on a conversation, but that doesn't quite suit this art style, so maybe I could do it like so now:

This is lovely, and really fits the style Kiss

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 10, 2021, 02:01:04 PM »

Thank you! <3

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2021, 12:19:04 AM »

The bright letterbox looks great and I am sure it works a lot better than a regular black one for your game. Also, I envy you for that snow!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2021, 05:46:22 AM »

Wooh, thanks! Even more snow today. Shocked

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »

This letter-boxing looks lovely. Great job with art. Kiss

Half of Spain is under snow (50 years maximums these days), for many locals its catastrophe as Spain is not prepared for something like that, but I live at coast near Alicante, no snow here. Cry

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2021, 11:04:29 PM »

Half of Spain is under snow (50 years maximums these days), for many locals its catastrophe as Spain is not prepared for something like that, but I live at coast near Alicante, no snow here. Cry

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I did not know about the situation in Spain and had to google what you are going right now. Glad to hear your area is not affected, vdapps.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2021, 09:25:56 AM »

Yeah, more than a week, it's always snow and freezing in the news, even Covid is now number 2. Smiley Yes, south coast where I live is ok.

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: January 19, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »

I, too, love the watercolor letterbox dialog frame effect.
That whole watercolor look of the game (is it new? cannot remember this from before my absence) is awesome.

Vidak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: January 23, 2021, 03:11:38 AM »

Hi, I'm still catching up on this devlog, but the watercolor shader looks great!

Suttebun
« Reply #434 on: January 24, 2021, 02:27:48 PM »

Your developments seem to be going very well. May I ask how your game's design has been going?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 24, 2021, 03:20:06 PM »

Many thanks to you all! <3 Sorry to hear about the ill effects of the snow in some places. Sad

(is it new? cannot remember this from before my absence)

Couple of months since I redid the shader and started on the graphics now c:

May I ask how your game's design has been going?

Design has had to take a bit of a back seat this year as I focussed on tooling and lately graphics, but I have my spreadsheet and I keep writing ideas down, so I hope I'll soon get back to gameplay. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 24, 2021, 03:20:15 PM »

Speeding things up

Title refers to two things this time, but first an updated GIF!

Brought the field of view down again because I thought it made it feel a lot more like you're really in the town and not viewing it from afar, which is important.

Editor

So like I said before my last update I've gone back and spent some more time on the editor, fixing some bugs and adding some features to speed up productivity. I'll spare you the boring details, but here's a screenshot!

Rendering

The editor as well as the game were running really slowly for some reason. Turns out despite having written code for not rerendering the editor every frame and to group things by material in the game, I had somehow broken the logic for both of these things and they weren't happening properly. Big Laff

Got that fixed up and got an immediate boost, but I also gave myself a day to use the profiler on the game to speed a few things up in general, and one of the slowest things was how I was rendering the leaves on the trees, so I had to change that entirely. Unfortunately those pixel-perfect shadows got lost and I might try and find a way to add them back, but for now I came up with a quick hacky solution. Cheesy

I put a blobby object in the tree and made it invisible but still casting a shadow. Blink

Backdrop

As you can see in the GIF, we've got a whole town in the background again. I put some of the stuff from my 3D sketch of the town in the game and threw some quick colours on them. Really adds immersion and feel for cheap. And helps test out that rendering some more!

Bonus

I also couldn't resist taking some of the snow inside to try and record some foley for footsteps, so maybe I'll try to put some audio into the game soon as well. Who, Me?

Anyway, we're coming up on the second anniversary of the devlog and I'm feeling some pressure to make sure that you can really see that a year has passed compared to the old screenshots, so we'll see what I spent the next two weeks on~

Suttebun
« Reply #437 on: January 24, 2021, 03:37:14 PM »

..feel a lot more like you're really in the town and not viewing it from afar

The watercolor (ignoring pov for game to dev seperation) is making Ao seem flat to my mind on the tv (computer screen, pretend), making Ao and Ao's position on the screen look even flatter.. like a painting!

I suggest a lerp or tween on the camera, so when you quit moving The Camera jogs ahead, and bobbles back for a quick second - showing off that Ao is in the space.

Like 3D. Like you're closer.

And that's too bad on the game design. Don't forget to have a finished document before starting!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: January 24, 2021, 11:02:38 PM »

Thanks for the update Prinsessa! I think it is almost always a good choice to put a bit of time into improving productivity (I myself am not the best at that).
I love that you are experimenting with making your own sound effects, sounds like a lot of fun Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2021, 12:24:51 AM »

I also couldn't resist taking some of the snow inside to try and record some foley for footsteps, so maybe I'll try to put some audio into the game soon as well.
From what I remember, traditional Foley for snow is custard powder or maize flour in a bag, and squeezing it for the scrunchy sound. Wonder how that compares to the real thing!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic