Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:08:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98194 times)
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2021, 01:57:36 AM »

Wow! The game looks prettier with each update.

Also, that's some great devotion with that snow sound recording! Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2021, 09:17:51 AM »

Thanks, everyone!! Gomez

I love that you are experimenting with making your own sound effects, sounds like a lot of fun Wink

I don't necessarily have the best equipment or know-how, but being a solo project the game is going to be rough around many of its edges, and I kind of like that lo-fi vibe anyway, so maybe the audio can be too Tongue And it's definitely fun, yeah!

From what I remember, traditional Foley for snow is custard powder or maize flour in a bag, and squeezing it for the scrunchy sound. Wonder how that compares to the real thing!

Oh wow, hope we don't run into a coconut effect then Blink

making Ao and Ao's position on the screen look even flatter.. like a painting!

I think possibly I like that given the painterly direction of the graphics in general, but we'll have to see how it feels as development progresses~

As for design, I don't have every detail pinned down but my overall idea in terms of gameplay as well as story (and the interaction of the two) is pretty well established and written down, just not shared extensively in the thread yet. Smiley I do want to leave some things open to experimentation, too.

EDIT:

Can't make my mind up about those trees. I have to play most games on fairly low-res on this computer anyway to get them to run well, so why not my own as well? The reason the leaf shader is slow is due to discarding pixels where there are no leaves. But not doing so and trying to do it all with alpha blending without depth writes is really tricky, creates more work, looks worse, causes shadow issues. And it seems most modern games do do this for cutout shaders like this? So I think I'm going back to the discard method for now.

I also fixed up some visual bugs with the falling snow and added it back. It too previously made the game slow down so I had removed it but it looks like it runs just fine now that I've fixed those rendering blunders I mentioned in the update. I was even able to add more particles without an issue! Smiley

But again due to the heavier leaf shader and recording at the same time, this GIF is a little stuttery unfortunately. But it runs fine when not recording. Shrug I'll keep working on that later, maybe look into directly outputting frames from the game like someone suggested earlier in the thread.

GIF also got really graphically crushed this time, so here's a screenshot for good measure:

EDIT 2:

As for GIFs, I stumbled upon this excellent library the other day: https://github.com/notnullnotvoid/msf_gif. Integrate this and you can record high quality GIFs right out of the engine!

And here it is. Thanks for the tip!

The result is very smooth (the fact that I have to play at half resolution to get it not to record twice the intended size on my retina display helps too) altho I don't really like the dithering, and the files are large and ezgif optimisation doesn't really do anything. Sad Library is fantastic and only took me like five minutes to add, but I had to mess around for like half an hour to get a good GIF at a size that works with Imgur and Twitter. Cheesy But I think I'll record this way from now on!

Also now that you can see the game at its real frame rate for the first time it's probably a bit like people who find the Hobbit films hard to watch for their 48 FPS but. I've actually been toying with the idea of reducing the framerate a little bit intentionally to make it look more like animation, but without slowing input or camera responsiveness down. We'll see!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:54:29 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »

I actually think it looks even better at the actual frame rate! Watching that GIF feels more like I'm getting the actual experience of walking around in the world, instead of just being told about it -- if that makes sense Tongue

Lots of really nice subtle touches here! The snow getting pressed into the cobblestone is something I doubt I would've thought to do, but it's a great touch that makes things feel more tangible. Something about seeing the cable cars really brought the town to life for me too. Smiley

I love that animated watercolor bleed effect. If nothing else, it seems like it'd look fantastic as title screen transition or something! As for keeping it as a frame, I'm a little skeptical. It looks neat, but gives everything quite a different feel; almost like I expect it to occasionally zoom out to show that someone has been painting "the game" on a piece of paper this whole time. It may feel totally different when playing fullscreen though, so take that comment with a grain of salt. Cheesy

Excellent work as always!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
OneSketchyGuy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2021, 02:07:38 PM »

Art reminds me of animal crossing if the characters were adults lol. Love it. Keep up the great work!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2021, 05:36:54 AM »

Thank you two! <3

I actually think it looks even better at the actual frame rate!

Yay!

The snow getting pressed into the cobblestone is something I doubt I would've thought to do, but it's a great touch that makes things feel more tangible.

Hadn't thought about it until I saw it IRL just before I added it!

Something about seeing the cable cars really brought the town to life for me too. Smiley

Hooray! Maybe it's worth giving them a quick and dirty animation along the wires early on even when it's just part of the "greybox" background.

It may feel totally different when playing fullscreen though

That's actually what I experienced! It looks a little messy in windowed mode but I think it looks cool in fullscreen and kind of draws you in! We'll see what happens with it. Grin

Art reminds me of animal crossing if the characters were adults lol.

Haha, is that the whole thing or just the silly temporary NPC heads? Cheesy I'm about to make those look at least a little more reasonable soon even if they still won't get completely proper graphics for a while. Tongue AC games have a great look tho, so I'm glad!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:53:08 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2021, 09:52:31 AM »

Also now that you can see the game at its real frame rate for the first time it's probably a bit like people who find the Hobbit films hard to watch for their 48 FPS but. I've actually been toying with the idea of reducing the framerate a little bit intentionally to make it look more like animation, but without slowing input or camera responsiveness down. We'll see!

I think it looks great!

If you want that animated look you could try reducing the framerate that the character animation plays at but leaving the rest of the game as normal, like this suit in the most recent Spider-Man game. Best of both worlds where the camera is smooth and responsive but the character gets that choppy look Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2021, 12:30:47 PM »

Somehow that choppy Spider-man suit contrasting with the environment reminds me of MDK, with its high-res shiny sprite of the main character vs low-poly environments
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2021, 01:46:25 PM »

Thanks, Ishi, and yesss, that's exactly what I meant Kiss

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

Wow it's looking great! I have been away from this forum for a while, but following your updates on twitter.

I second Ishi's suggestion. Your idea of reducing the frame rate is very clever! but doing it for everything might not look great, specially rotating a third person camera around and stuff like that. But the animation, yeah, that should work great!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2021, 06:56:22 AM »

Yep, yep! And thanks, and welcome back! Was checking if I’d missed any updates to your threads just the other day actually, and here you are now Coffee

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2021, 11:49:28 AM »

haha decided to update devlog 3 today Tongue

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »

A-ha cover album

Hello! Working on a bunch of stuff for the devlog anniversary, but I feel like it'll be too much in one go if I wait to post everything until the 10th, so I'll do one today, and maybe another one before then.

Apart from our silly-looking NPC friends being back, the theme of this update appears to be titles of songs from a certain band mainly of prominence during the eighties…

Take on me

One of you said it first, but the sketchy line look is now actually put into the game in inaccessible pockets of time:

The sun always shines on TV

The sea water glitters once more. That had not been updated for the new shader before now!

The swing of things

Since square layout and navmesh alike have changed since I first scripted together this NPC scenario, I had to update the scripts to get them to move to the right places. Finally able to do this with those named waypoints that I added the ability to place visually in the editor a while ago, so it was a lot faster than last time!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:18:16 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2021, 04:14:38 PM »

That's a lovely update, with a cool theme. Even the subtitles are song names. ^^

The game looks fantastic. I especially love the clouds.
I guess the GIF ate up all the lines, because the sketchy line look is almost completely white with not many visible lines. I bet in fullscreen it looks great, though. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2021, 11:54:34 PM »

I missed the named waypoints change, does that mean that if you move those waypoints again that the scripts will automatically update too? Because that will save you a ton of hassle as well as scenario logic bugs
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: February 01, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »

Gosh it's so cool seeing the town get fleshed out. The sketchy time pocket style looks especially good in the 2nd screenshot. Great work!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:17 PM »

I'm looking forward to your devlog anniversary Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 03, 2021, 04:55:41 AM »

Thanks, everyone! <3

I guess the GIF ate up all the lines, because the sketchy line look is almost completely white with not many visible lines.

That, and there's also almost nothing inside that house to make lines at the moment. Tongue

I missed the named waypoints change, does that mean that if you move those waypoints again that the scripts will automatically update too?

Yep!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 03, 2021, 06:59:23 AM »

Excellent! Hand Thumbs Up Left
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »

Year two, electric boogaloo

Yahoo. How'd we do? Started the devlog on this date in 2019. Now we have this:

Compared to this almost two years ago:

Finished some more stuff but honestly there isn't a lot more gameplay than one year ago. This last year was focussed on tooling and eventually graphics, but I'm glad I got started on that and have finally begun to get a look down. And it's finally getting a bit lively!

I don't think it looks good in every direction yet, especially in the shade facing the sea, but some other parts are getting there!

Thanks again to everyone who's been checking in on the thread so far! <3

Some screenshots

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »

That is some crazy progress! Cool
(Although I like the "various words", "more words", ... ^^)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic