Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:50:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98153 times)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2021, 11:10:37 PM »

Happy Birthday!
It is really impressive to see the what you achieved with regards to the shader and looks in general. Although I must admit that the NPC dialogues and interactions in the second gif (the 2019 one) were pure comedic gold and I kind of wish they would stay this way :D The awkward hug at the end is so great!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 11, 2021, 03:40:54 AM »

Amazing progress!

(Although I like the "various words", "more words", ... ^^)
WORDS OF PRAISE FOR FISHFOOD!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 11, 2021, 05:05:25 AM »

Thank you three! At least we have the old stuff preserved in GIF form, eh? Cheesy

And geez, I had completely forgotten for years that website exists, don't make me get stuck browsing quotes… Waaagh!

Was a bit too tired to actually write last night what I'd done so here goes.

• Got the cable cars moving to get some more life in there!

• Hastily replaced the silly temporary NPC models with only slightly less silly and temporary ones with proper(er) heads, but of course they're all still basically scaled reskins of the player character and won't look like this in the end. Tongue

Before and after of one of them:

• Had to fix some glTF model loading issues after updating Blender to load the modified models properly.

• Added the paper and/or sketch effect to some more places, like winding time, the letterbox, and when taking photos where the frame now makes sure the viewport is always in the same 4:3 ratio that the photos are:

• Minor additions/changes to the square, like getting started on this little enclosure with trees and a birdbath, or changing the shape of the little plot by the flower shop after turning it 45 degrees.

• Decided that once you go into the past you're there, so won't be able to see or walk into the future between bubbles. It'll just be the pockets with the sketched look where you need to unlock memories. Spent some time changing code accordingly.

• Other boring code fixes as issues cropped up while I was working on getting the NPC scenario back up and running. And prepping to finally implement more into the game of what I've written, with more characters and stuff, so they'll need to look distinct soon. Cheesy

Anyway, I hope this is the year I turn this project from a tech demo into a game, even if it won't be finished!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:10:52 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: February 11, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Amazing that it's already been two years — congratulations! You've done so much, especially considering you're simultaneously building the engine you're working in. Incredible work! I'm so glad I found this devlog back then, and I greatly look forward to what's to come! Smiley

Love seeing those cable cars in motion too! Gomez

I make video/tabletop games and music!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 12, 2021, 03:16:45 AM »

Is that a melonhead on the left?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 12, 2021, 03:53:19 AM »

Amazing that it's already been two years — congratulations! You've done so much, especially considering you're simultaneously building the engine you're working in. Incredible work! I'm so glad I found this devlog back then, and I greatly look forward to what's to come!

Thank you!!

Love seeing those cable cars in motion too! Gomez

Dedicated to you! Cheesy

Is that a melonhead on the left?

If that's a thing I'm afraid I'm not familiar with it. Tongue I just put a sphere with the squid face texture from the main character's backpack on there!

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: February 12, 2021, 06:45:05 AM »

Not being on your thread for a while. Nice update, I like cable car, it nicely adds to atmosphere together with snow. Generally your "pueblo" is much more vivid now. And congrats to 2 years on project! Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:18 AM »

Thank you too! Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 20, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »

Optimism

Getting into the third year of development after little new gameplay during the last, I'm now focussing on just that. It's a wordy update so maybe boring, but it's nice for me to have it in the devlog!

Story time

So I've been writing. A bunch. Want a draft of the whole story you play through as you travel back in time before I put anything more into the game. Going well, and I've received some fantastic feedback and criticism that has helped a lot <3

However I won't talk about the past timeline today! Shocked A big change has been decided upon:

They survive

It was getting too grim, so the narrative now has a brighter outlook to it. No longer will you meet ghosts and help them find peace, but you'll find survivors and get their testimonies as you help them to safety and solve a mystery.

You'll still walk through memories as a representation of the information you get from people, photographing details as a way to interact rather than picking dialogue options. The gameplay stays more or less the same as before but the narrative around it is different.

I've figured out a gameplay loop taking advantage of this rewrite, and I'm excited to share it with you!

Shipwrecked

The intro cutscene will still start as before with the visual from the lighthouse of the dam in the distance breaking and the water gushing out. Most townsfolk are gathered on the square for a ceremony that you'll see once you traverse their recollections.

Oversized lighthouse in front of the undersized old town greybox, but roughly showing the framing.

They find shelter from the water under the harbour wall and are unharmed by the flood, but a noxious haze fills the air and they're forced to flee onto a large ship docked there and end up running aground on an offshore island, unable to go back to look for others who didn't make it out.

A quick 3D representation of the steam ship and the hollows in the wall used for shelter.

Business as usual

The player character reaches town, having not noticed the ship in the thick haze and the whining wind as they set off in their much smaller boat to help, wearing that old gas mask to be safe in the foul air.

This is where the game starts and the player gains control.

You still meet the same character who had spent the evening feeding birds by the fountain, only they're in the harbour now, having failed to get on the ship in the midst of all the chaos.

My old doodle of this character.

This person is in a bad way, but wants to tell you what happened after you get them to snap out of their dizziness with a photo of the birds still alive in the distance, and so you unlock your first memories/retelling of the evening just like before. Basically, this is the tutorial.

Not alone

After that another character wearing a gas mask shows up. It's someone I can best describe as a "coordinator" of the town, overseeing the ongoings and dealing with issues, who has stayed behind to help out as well. You get their account of events too (more memories to traverse).

They help you clear rubble off the road to the town square so you can look for more people, and then borrow your little boat to ferry the other character off to safety on the island with the others. The boat is too small to carry more than one driver and one passenger.

Doodle from today of my general idea of the coordinator (bottom) and their grown-up child (top), having in common ocean hair with waves since I want the people to have the same slightly whimsy designs as the town itself!

The game loop

And this is essentially going to be the main gist of the game! You find more disoriented and incapacitated people around town in the haze and you figure out the right thing to jolt them back to consciousness in order to hear their stories while you wait for the coordinator character to return with your boat to ferry them to safety, one by one. The game mechanics of it is that they simply don't get back with the boat until you've gotten memories from a character, and then that character gets to leave town. Rinse and repeat.

So from a gameplay perspective the present timeline is basically like a "hub world" while the past timeline provides the main gameplay (almost like "entering levels" but seamlessly) where as before you listen in on conversations and photograph things of interest as a way to inquire further about them, connect people and events to each other and so on. You can then use these details from the past timeline to approach people in the present timeline.

This way you unlock more of the past version of the town while simultaneously getting access to more of the present version so that you can help more people and, of course, figure out what happened in the first place. What's that in the air? Why did the dam break? Sometimes seeing something in one timeline can be helpful for the other one as well.

I'm thinking that once you reach the square you can find several people and choose freely in which direction to explore further, and it only opens up more, with variations on the game loop to change things up.

You will no longer be able to affect what happens in the past, but the accounts of events provided by townsfolk don't all match up and you don't always get the truth or the whole story from some of them, and so the story changes as you gather more information.

In other news

I doodled a small boat! And then another one. It's a canal boat that follows a rail like a tram. There'll be a couple around town, for purposes of the narrative and the progression. I did the one on the left first before realising they should be able to go in both directions. Maybe the player character's boat will be a smaller version of the first one?

I'll keep writing away on the story for the past timeline and then we'll see how much of it I decide share here and how much will remain a secret until you play the game. Grin

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: February 20, 2021, 11:55:42 AM »

I think it is great that you are planning an intro cutscene and am really excited to see it when it is done. Also, keep feeding us with these hand drawings. I never do any doodles like these, because by drawing just sucks, but it seems to be a cool way to work things out.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: February 20, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »

Looking good!

Suttebun
« Reply #471 on: February 21, 2021, 06:51:00 AM »

Seeing your character drawings has brightened me of your game. (is this an acceptable phrase? haha)

I look forward to who is in the world.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 21, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »

It was getting too grim, so the narrative now has a brighter outlook to it. No longer will you meet ghosts and help them find peace, but you'll find survivors and get their testimonies as you help them to safety and solve a mystery.
In my experience, if someone from a Nordic country says that things are getting too grim, it's really freaking grim, so thanks for not unleashing that on us Tongue
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: February 22, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »

It's a wordy update so maybe boring
Oho, on the contrary. This is super exciting and interesting!

No longer will you meet ghosts and help them find peace, but you'll find survivors and get their testimonies as you help them to safety and solve a mystery.
As much as I like a sort of supernatural/ghostly flair, this new approach sounds a bit more unique, dramatic, and actively engaging.

You get their account of events too (more memories to traverse).
So, when you get a character's account of events, you're stepping back in time to literally walk around and explore/observe that retelling (as opposed to a purely text description of the events)? Can you freely explore these "levels", or are you restricted to a specific chunk of the town?

You will no longer be able to affect what happens in the past, but the accounts of events provided by townsfolk don't all match up and you don't always get the truth or the whole story from some of them, and so the story changes as you gather more information.
I'm curious what you mean by "the story changes" here. You can't change the past, but you can get wrong info about the past. Isn't that effectively the same thing? Shocked Gameplay-wise, does this mean you have to "find the right answer", or is it possible to get a "bad ending"?

I feel like I might be too eager for answers that should be left for discovery. Guess I'm just excited about this game! Cheesy

Having the townsfolk leave the town as you help them sounds like a good, clear way of marking progress. It makes narrative sense, and you won't end up getting confused as to who you have/haven't spoken to.

Also, I love all these doodles, and I especially love the designs for the town coordinator and their child!!

Great update!

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 22, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »

Thanks, everyone! I think doodles can be a lot more helpful than words to convey ideas sometimes, especially to others, regardless of how good you are at it C:

really freaking grim, so thanks for not unleashing that on us Tongue

TBF I was (and still am!) actually going for a bit of a positive message in spite of the bad stuff but I think it will come through a lot better when the whole premise isn't so gloomy. Smiley

So, when you get a character's account of events, you're stepping back in time to literally walk around and explore/observe that retelling (as opposed to a purely text description of the events)?

Exactly! I was thinking I might make this clearer by doing things like having a character portrait show up with the text describing what you see in a photo for example, to show that this person told you about it. Or when you walk outside the bounds of what that person saw, at least the first time you might have such a box saying like "I don't know what went on over there". Overall the new direction of the game involves a lot more direct character interactions and fleshing out of the player character as well, you'll see eventually. Grin

Can you freely explore these "levels", or are you restricted to a specific chunk of the town?

Not sure yet, but I'm leaning towards just letting you walk between places if you want to, just that there won't really be anything to see on the way until you've unlocked something there, bit of a creepy limbo with things that are off, but either way there'll probably also be a way to just jump to specific spots/moments like a kind of fast travel.

You will be restricted in the present (non-memories / "hub") tho, and gradually "unlock" it (not as gamey as it sounds, stuff will happen to make more paths accessible in an organic way with narrative and gameplay) to get access to more people, with a bit of a story happening there as well now (the coordinator character helping you out being a part of that, but it won't just be a loop of them ferrying people off until the end of the game Blink).

I'm curious what you mean by "the story changes" here. You can't change the past, but you can get wrong info about the past. Isn't that effectively the same thing? Shocked Gameplay-wise, does this mean you have to "find the right answer", or is it possible to get a "bad ending"?

Well, previously I had the thing with showing "visions" (photos) to people in the past timeline and affecting (as the player) actions they would take, but that's scrapped now, so you don't personally have control over how the timeline changes, it just does automatically now as you gather more information from people in the present timeline. It's up to you to notice this when you play inside the past timeline tho!

Thanks again, and really happy to hear that you're excited and like the new stuff! Tears of Joy

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 25, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »

Unnumbered update just to say that I tried a different GIF output library without the dithering:

This is what it looked like with the old library:

The new one has some blinking issues but I still prefer it because the dithering just doesn't represent this game's graphics well, so I'll stick with this for now unless I find something better.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: February 25, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »

Owww, super nice your little plaza in Ao. Kiss Cable cars added a lot.

Btw, I somehow like more dithered version, but I understand, that dithering is artificial thing, not present in actual game, so you prefer a look more close to final one.

Anyway, its pleasant to see your pueblo growing. Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 25, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »

Thanks again! <3

It's true that dither does have its own charm to it! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:58 AM »

I have a soft spot for dithering too (having experimented a lot with it) but I do understand the need to represent the in-game graphics better.

Just an FYI, you could also try webp. It works in browsers that support it but not all of them.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 26, 2021, 02:44:33 AM »

Yeah, it's the incomplete support that makes me hesitant. Of course I could share webp in addition I guess just so you can see the game a bit better if you are able to view them! c:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic