Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:09:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 94828 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 20, 2021, 03:09:10 AM »

Nice! Guess Blender has cool color & lighting defaults Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 20, 2021, 05:05:05 AM »

Last few Blender updates have been pretty amazing!

EDIT:

In engine:

Added the light from the fire but not the fire itself Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:56:59 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2021, 06:45:02 AM »

Wow!!! That structure is so cool. The design and colors are fantastic!

I really like the character sketches too. Lots of fun fashion/hair, and personalities coming through on their faces.

Thanks for sharing all these, they're great! Hand Thumbs Up Left

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 21, 2021, 06:57:20 AM »

Thank you!! <3

LysanderTheWhite
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2021, 07:18:32 AM »

Love this, the art work is quite simply beautiful  

Schemer, Dreamer & Wannabe App Billionaire
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2021, 09:03:41 AM »

Nice update, sketches are great, those faces have soul! I think it's because of those subtle expressions on their faces, making them so vivid. Gentleman

Architecture great as well. I think, when I'll be playing your game, I will roam around 'el pueblo' for some time and just admire architecture. Grin

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2021, 12:38:40 PM »

Thank you both! Kiss

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: April 21, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »

Love the atmosphere you’ve created here! The lighting, shadows, palette choice exude a very cozy and friendly feeling. Wonderful job, can’t wait to see what comes next! Gentleman

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2021, 03:51:57 AM »

Thank you!!

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »

looking great! Love the arches going out towards the shore.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2021, 01:21:18 AM »

Thank you!

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 28, 2021, 05:30:33 PM »

Whoa! This is truly lovely!

So much progress - too.  I really appreciate you lifting the curtain a bit on your gameplay loop and story design.

I'm especially intrigued by the part in your gameplay loop diagram where you say that the player has an opportunity to find contradictory or enlightening info.  I would really like to know how you are handling this - especially the contradictory part.  In my own project I'm trying to find a way to let the player know that some parts of the "story" they have uncovered are likely unreliable - that they are lies.  But it seems really difficult to communicate this to the player without just telling them outright.  Are you walking a line between just hoping the player will eventually come to their own realization that someone/thing is unreliable vs you just telling them openly?  Is this something you're dealing with?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for sharing so much of your process.  It continues to be a marvelous project.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 29, 2021, 02:10:52 AM »

Thank you! <3

It'll be things like "x said y was here at this time but z saw them over there at the same time, what do you have to say about this, x?". In practice that means having a snapshot of those situations at those moments, carrying that metadata presented as notes written by the character(s). They might have a literal cork board or something in the "base of operations" where you can lay things out.

Haven't worked it all out yet, but the people you get to safety all end up in the same building so you have access to them and over the course of the story they'll also have some interactions amongst each other, and you're all solving this together.

And I'm thinking you can use your companion character (the one who helps you get people to safety and takes care of the hurt people in the room) as a sort of "Navi" if you really get stuck and need a clue and they'll go "well, what was it x said about y?" to give you a push in the right direction?

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2021, 03:39:18 PM »

That seems like a good approach.  Kind of draw the player's attention to the moments of conflicting evidence and then ask them to make a decision.  Since it's a team effort in the game, the technique fits the ludonarrative pretty well.  I like it. That's smart and seems achievable.

And I'm thinking you can use your companion character (the one who helps you get people to safety and takes care of the hurt people in the room) as a sort of "Navi" if you really get stuck and need a clue and they'll go "well, what was it x said about y?" to give you a push in the right direction?

Oooh.  A companion character.  That's brilliant.  I know that it is potentially a lot of extra work for you, but you seem to have a knack for simplifying problems like these.  I'm going to think about what the concept of a companion character might look like in my project.  The idea, in some form (maybe not as a recognizable "character"), could be really useful.

Thank you for sharing!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 30, 2021, 12:49:32 AM »

Coffee

Yeah, the companion won't be following you around so it isn't too complex. They're mostly stuck in the "base" due to the foul air, and you will actually follow them on the occasion that they do venture out because then they already have somewhere particular to go and no time to wait around. c:

Hope you figure out what works for you!

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2021, 01:18:30 AM »

Looking great  Coffee

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

Thank you!!

jarmick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 01, 2021, 04:07:55 PM »

Loving this whole development narrative!  The progress is inspiring. 

Your thoughts on collective quests and subtle story-steering hints is sticking with me. 

It is a challenge to balance ambiguity and specificity in a story world, but you seem to be making it happen. 
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2021, 03:46:31 AM »

Thanks!! C:

Been a bit busy and tired so been taking a bit of a break again, hope I can get more work in soon!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 08, 2021, 05:08:20 AM »

Storyboarding

Back to writing, seems time away was still productive; got quite a bit done on my first day back to it.

Still hard to share so I did some even more rushed and crude outlines of whole scenes with questionable scale and perspective just to work things out but I'm sharing those too since they at least offer some insights into the writing. Cheesy

The least crude one is of the park to the left behind the square, some music being played and some dancing going on:

The next one, from the garden in front of the town hall, got some really weird perspective so hopefully the 3D view helps but basically they have a view of the square as people are gathering:

Finally with no 3D counterpart to offer since none of it's really modelled yet is the inside of the café, and as you can see I basically gave up by the second floor because I had what I needed anyway. Who, Me?

There's gonna be a big chandelier or something hanging from the ceiling too but it would be in the way here. Goes without saying the structures will look fancier in the end, some I even sort of know how, but I was only concerned with composition and overall shapes and positions here.

These people are harvesting seaweed and getting upset with the big steam ship coming in and creating some big waves; haven't really worked on the in-game geometry even as a blockout yet:

Then there's one I did completely in the editor because I remembered I had a whale model hidden in there. Tongue

Since this is the area I've worked the most on it actually looks kind of nice already so it makes up for the rest. Cheesy

I'll end on an overview of the areas:

It's greyish due to the fog really setting in here but you can see stuff well enough. The left side of the town no longer has the canal running through it since ships will dock on the outside instead, and this area is kind of going to be a secondary square or downtown area since most of the main square is just open space with little room for buildings. The big building is the hospital.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:10:47 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic