Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:27:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 94978 times)
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #540 on: May 19, 2021, 07:23:30 AM »

I'm getting increasingly into the idea of having present timeline comments from the narrators in the form of HUD text bubbles at specific points in their stories, and maybe adding "bookmarks" there, or your own, kind of like the way comments work on SoundCloud

Ohhh those are really neat ideas! I like it Smiley

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 21, 2021, 12:10:50 AM »

Yay! Grin

So I won't number this because I don't really have anything to say about it but I reached a point where it was getting tough to keep track of everything in just text form, so I started spreadsheet 2.0 and finally got most of what I have so far covered!

Mostly worked out but I had to make some adjustments and a few questions popped up so I'm all set to get back to writing, trying to answer those.

Also halfway through doing this a YouTube video I was watching advertised a website called Campfire, for organising writing with entries for characters, plot points and so on, and more imporantly, timelines. I think I'll stick to the sheet now that I have it, but might be interesting to try in the future, or to you!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 21, 2021, 01:08:57 AM »

Shocked

Is this you?

Also, how epic was the sigh of relief when you got all of that worked out?
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #543 on: May 21, 2021, 01:11:09 AM »

Holy spreadsheet! You seem to have it organized well, but in case you test out Campfire, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 21, 2021, 04:54:51 AM »

Is this you?

It might be me soon because I've been thinking of turning this into a storyboard made from post-it notes on the wall! Who, Me?

Also, how epic was the sigh of relief when you got all of that worked out?

I'm not sure there was one because it was so gradual and I mostly just filled one column in at a time based on what I'd written, most of it synched up already haha

Holy spreadsheet! You seem to have it organized well, but in case you test out Campfire, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Will do! For stuff besides the timeline (characters, places, props and so on) I'm currently keeping it organised in the "design model" functionality of HacknPlan and the main writing is just a normal text document.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: May 21, 2021, 10:14:06 AM »

For stuff besides the timeline (characters, places, props and so on) I'm currently keeping it organised in the "design model" functionality of HacknPlan and the main writing is just a normal text document.

I want to start digging into a project management tool soon. It is interesting that you use HacknPlan, would you recommend it?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 21, 2021, 12:32:49 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty neat! Mainly started using it as a Trello-style task board for the programming but it has some other useful stuff too, like that design model thing.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: May 23, 2021, 10:01:59 AM »

Thanks, I will definitely take a closer look at it!

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2021, 07:59:58 PM »

I. Love. This.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 07, 2021, 12:54:35 AM »

Spreadsheet organization goals for your own "messy timeline" issues, amasinton? Wink
amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 08, 2021, 05:41:23 AM »

Spreadsheet organization goals for your own "messy timeline" issues, amasinton? Wink

I would love to be this organized!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 14, 2021, 02:11:53 AM »

I don't feel that organised with stuff spread out haphazardly across all sorts of files but I'm glad I'm giving off that impression! Cheesy

Took a break from this. Kind of felt like programming for programming's sake which I haven't in a long time, so I thought I'd try and channel that energy into working on stuff that will have to get done at some point anyway. Some time away from writing should help regardless.

Won't number this since it's not an update on the game itself, but just to show what's going on at the moment…

As the shader productivity skyrocketed once I was able to see changes as the game was running, I decided to give the scripting workflow some love as well since it's how I'll be implementing all the stuff I'm writing eventually.

So…

Scripts now reload on changes even while the game is running, without losing state or being unable to recover from errors (working on the cable cars here):

New values exposed to the editor also show up automatically but you can only edit numbers and booleans right now:

I also did an ugly hack to be able to use a C++ autocompleter/error-checker in Sublime Text for AngelScript since the languages are so similar, which mostly works:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 02:20:34 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 14, 2021, 03:37:20 AM »

Nice!

As the shader productivity skyrocketed once I was able to see changes as the game was running, I decided to give the scripting workflow some love as well since it's how I'll be implementing all the stuff I'm writing eventually.

At this rate you can release the Prinsessa Game Engine for Angelscript by the time the game comes out Who, Me?
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #553 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:22 AM »

This looks like a smooth workflow. Good job! I still wonder how you preserve internal state across compilations? This is bound to diverge soon, isn't it? This will crash in some ugly way as soon as you change something about the internal state structure?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 14, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »

Thank you two!

At this rate you can release the Prinsessa Game Engine for Angelscript by the time the game comes out Who, Me?

They'd be better off with something like Urho3D, but modding possibilities would be cool!

I still wonder how you preserve internal state across compilations? This is bound to diverge soon, isn't it? This will crash in some ugly way as soon as you change something about the internal state structure?

Well, I might have oversold it Cheesy But it should be safe from crashes at least. It just piggybacks off the de/serialisation of member variables I already had in place to edit scriptables in the editor like you saw, only here it serialises those not marked with the attribute as well and then deserialises them back (if they still exist) after the reload. If the script has errors the state is just held onto until the script is valid again. It's not straight up byte serialisation but uses reflection and JSON so memory won't get corrupted.

It's not asynchronous, so unless I delve into coroutines or something I don't have to worry about restoring a counter in the middle of a loop or anything like that. I also don't run the script's initialisation callback on reload so any entities or whatever it created the first time (the cable cars in this case) just remain in the scene. I think I'll add a few more script attributes (like "never de/serialise this member") or editor buttons ("force reload") to help me control it if I need to.

a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 14, 2021, 01:38:53 PM »

Hacky or not, that's quite impressive!

amasinton
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »

I don't feel that organised with stuff spread out haphazardly across all sorts of files but I'm glad I'm giving off that impression! Cheesy

It does give that impression - and I'll bet that's because, really, it is rather well-organized.  I mean, how else can you be making a time travel detective game AND rolling your own engine simultaneously?!

The engine work looks great, too.  And that whole "keep the changes after runtime" feature is something people have been begging for from Unity for over a decade (I know it's not a trivial thing to implement - in fact, it may be impossible at the level of that kind of "all things to all people" game engine).

Very well done!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »

Scripts now reload on changes even while the game is running, without losing state or being unable to recover from errors

This is super nice and you must be able to work and test really fast this way! I wish I could work this way with Unreal blueprints.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 15, 2021, 06:09:00 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Remains to see how well it works in practice, don't have anything new to script up just yet.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 30, 2021, 02:47:56 AM »

Took a break for a week and then got back to fixing backend stuff.

Accidentally made Obra Dinn!

The only slightly interesting thing to show is more stuff that can be updated while the game is running, like turning off shadows and stuff:

This GIF is quite laggy and a big reason is that shadows are very slow right now, so that's partially why I want this feature since I think I'll finally get around to implementing those properly soon.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic