Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:41:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 94840 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 30, 2021, 03:03:22 AM »

Took a break for a week and then got back to fixing backend stuff.

Accidentally made Obra Dinn!

The only slightly interesting thing to show is more stuff that can be updated while the game is running, like turning off shadows and stuff:

This GIF is quite laggy and a big reason is that shadows are very slow right now, so that's partially why I want this feature since I think I'll finally get around to implementing those properly soon.
Accidentally made Obra Dinn!

Cellos and Carrillion sounds intensify

Interesting how the UI feedback loop itself is a sort of motivator for perf optimizations, no? Smiley
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 30, 2021, 07:24:47 AM »

Cellos and Carrillion sounds intensify

Gomez

Interesting how the UI feedback loop itself is a sort of motivator for perf optimizations, no? Smiley

Yeah! Always an upgrade the less of a little dance I have to do when I want to add something new.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: June 30, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »

What a cool looking UI!

Interesting how the UI feedback loop itself is a sort of motivator for perf optimizations, no?

I don't know what you mean but it made me think of a funny thing. Adding gamefication elements to debugging tools, like this UI. Once you are happy with a parameter you can click a button that sets of some fireworks and a permanent smiley bouncy face next to the slider/checkbox. "well done for finishing step #2 shadows scale... of evil!"

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: July 01, 2021, 01:28:23 AM »

Looking good!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: July 01, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »

The only slightly interesting thing to show is more stuff that can be updated while the game is running, like turning off shadows and stuff:

It is admirable how much work you put into improving tools to make your own job easier. I feel like I really should follow your example more.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: July 02, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »

This is great! Whenever I've done 3D rendering stuff in the past the render pipeline has always been a big hardcoded mess that's hard to keep track of, so seeing it laid out like this is lovely. I'm curious what details you show for each buffer in the UI when you expand it? Do you have a display of the contents of the buffer?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 04, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »

Thanks, glad y'all like the non-game updates too! C:

Working on cascaded shadow maps now, i.e. using lower resolution shadows further away from the camera.

More extreme difference to show it clearly:

Currently actually makes performance worse because now I render the whole scene and at the same level of detail three times instead of one, so the next step is to actually not render more than necessary and to have some lower-detail versions of things when they're far away (the trees especially, my graphics card really doesn't like those).

Also poked at the shader again a little bit, so here's a screenshot I'm happy with:

Adding gamefication elements to debugging tools

At least if I get work done on the game I'll get to play the game! Blink

It is admirable how much work you put into improving tools to make your own job easier. I feel like I really should follow your example more.

To be fair Unreal comes with a lot of stuff out of the box!

This is great! Whenever I've done 3D rendering stuff in the past the render pipeline has always been a big hardcoded mess that's hard to keep track of, so seeing it laid out like this is lovely.

Hasn't always been this neat but I overhauled it fairly recently! c:

I'm curious what details you show for each buffer in the UI when you expand it? Do you have a display of the contents of the buffer?

Yeah! Here are some examples:

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: July 07, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »

Mock Anger Wow, know you've got this a lot, but this is really good Beer! . Time travel game! Have you put in some story, or just doing graphics, gameplay and technical stuff for now?
Did I here it would come to android or is that just apple sauce in my ears... or eyes...or both...Coffee. Yeah ...Ao Coffee (what does that mean? Beg )
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:14:15 PM by Gunroar:Cannon() » Logged

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 08, 2021, 02:00:15 AM »

Thanks! Grin Spent most dev time this year on writing/story so it's coming along but taking a break and getting back to tech for a bit now. Smiley I did get the game running on Android early on but I think the final game will probably be too heavy for a phone. Ảo means salt/sea!

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »

Wow, I'm glad to see that the project is still alive and it's looking better than ever. Awesome job, keep it going!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 15, 2021, 03:58:14 AM »

Hey Shephf! Long time no posts (or at least not in threads I also visit)
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: July 15, 2021, 04:02:54 AM »

Hey, JobLeonard! Ye, I've been pretty busy on my job, lot's of stuff going on there, no time for gamedev at all Sad But I thought that it would be a good idea to check out what's going on here on TigSource while I'm away. Good to see that cool projects get cool updates, hope I'll be able to come to back to my stuff as well someday...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2021, 04:15:15 AM »

Just post whenever you feel like it. I've been here for over a decade without any game devving myself (except for one or two Ludum Dares and game jams, which I didn't post here)
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2021, 04:19:47 AM »

Yep, I guess visiting TigSource in a while and posting stuff is a possibility, better this than nothing Smiley

LucierBlazquiz
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »

Is this a one person project? If so, quite impressive. If not, still impressive. Oddly enough it reminds me of like a mashup of Katamari Damacy (visually, mostly) and Shadows of Memories. Maybe a bit of Myst in there.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 16, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »

Wow, I'm glad to see that the project is still alive and it's looking better than ever. Awesome job, keep it going!

Heyyy, welcome back! Grin Thank you! Sorry to hear you haven't had time to work on your stuff, hope you can soon.

Is this a one person project? If so, quite impressive. If not, still impressive. Oddly enough it reminds me of like a mashup of Katamari Damacy (visually, mostly) and Shadows of Memories. Maybe a bit of Myst in there.

Yeah, just me. Thanks!! Smiley Katamari is an interesting thing to compare it to haha Cheesy

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2021, 11:02:15 AM »

Another non-numbered update. For the last two weeks I've been struggling to get anything done at all, so I've only really spent three or four days actually being productive, but I finally got another piece of the puzzle done.

Dividing the scene into octants and checking whether those are visible to the camera in order to filter out anything that isn't from rendering.

The reason a lot of things still don't disappear here is that most stuff outside of the town centre is still all on one big model and not separate objects, so some part of it is always visible to the camera. Might be time to start breaking it up soon.

Bit messy and difficult to see, but a picture of how some octants get subdivided into even smaller octants depending on whether they're able to fully enclose any objects within those:

I'm not completely done, but enough for a post just to show where I'm at. Smiley

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2021, 11:09:53 AM »

Nice!

Are you doing this for performance reasons? it seems to run so smoothly in your videos.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2021, 11:41:33 AM »

Yeah, I reached the point now where I have to bother. Runs fine in my GIF's because I record at a very low resolution, but it doesn't scale well at all, especially with shadows, at least on my GPU. It's not just my game, it's commercial games too where I generally have to run on very low settings, so I figure if I can make it run well on here it'll run fine on a lot of machines hopefully (and it should be possible as my Unity jam games run well thanks to whatever that engine's doing under the hood which is probably stuff like this). I have a bunch of RAM and a decent CPU but my GPU is a big bottleneck Shrug

The octant lookup (octree) will be useful for optimising other stuff too, like the photography mechanic which also checks what's in the camera frustum, or checking for things close enough to interact with without looping through all of them and so on.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 20, 2021, 01:10:39 AM »

Cool! Is this what they call "frustum culling"?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic