Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:28:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98202 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 20, 2021, 03:53:34 AM »

Cool! Is this what they call "frustum culling"?

Yeah! c:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:00:20 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2021, 03:56:07 AM »

Noice

Next up: custom BSP trees in Angelscript? Tongue
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:10 AM »

Think I'll stick to C++ for things like that Cheesy Happy enough with the octree tho!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 23, 2021, 02:11:32 PM »

Runs fine in my GIF's because I record at a very low resolution, but it doesn't scale well at all

Turns out I'm a big dumdum!! I'd never get anything done if I didn't do things quick and dirty first to get it working at all, but sometimes I move on and forget to go back and actually fix things like that. Was doing a really expensive shader calculation for every pixel on every object that I only needed to do once per object but which is slightly more work to do properly so for testing purposes I'd done it this way. Cheesy Still a lot more things that need to be optimised to get it to run well but now it's just many small things adding up, no one big thing like this. Even the tree rendering is fine now.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: July 23, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »

Runs fine in my GIF's because I record at a very low resolution, but it doesn't scale well at all

Turns out I'm a big dumdum!! I'd never get anything done if I didn't do things quick and dirty first to get it working at all, but sometimes I move on and forget to go back and actually fix things like that. Was doing a really expensive shader calculation for every pixel on every object that I only needed to do once per object but which is slightly more work to do properly so for testing purposes I'd done it this way. Cheesy Still a lot more things that need to be optimised to get it to run well but now it's just many small things adding up, no one big thing like this. Even the tree rendering is fine now.

I know you're talking about yourself but I feel called out!

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: August 10, 2021, 02:41:27 AM »

It's cool to see the more technical aspects, too. In Unity, I always hope that the magic behind the curtain is doing all these optimizations for me, but often end up having to optimize stuff as well.
Having full control over these things (and having to do them on your own) is probably both a blessing and a curse. Smiley
Your posts about them are great, though.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 11, 2021, 12:36:04 AM »

Thank you! I just enjoy pretending to be a gamedev of the nineties or something Cheesy

So after some technical issues with the shadows I got worn out and took a break again, and then finally came back the other day and figured out a solution that at least works so that I can move on to something else for now, so we'll see what's next! I was just about ready to get back to writing for a change, but getting unstuck on this may have given me my coding motivation back.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 11, 2021, 03:03:45 PM »

Have a street lamp!

Besides all the water running through town and driving things, it's also a geologically active area with all manners of steam and gas escaping the earth, getting put to use for heating and lighting through pipes under the ground.

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: August 11, 2021, 11:44:43 PM »

"The gas that keeps the streetlights bright is non poisonous and is attracting some of the flying jellyfishes of the area. You will often find one of them sucking on a lamp at night (I guess some of them aren't perfectly airtight) while enjoying the warmth at the same time."

Looks very nice. Do the tentacles move? Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:35 PM »

"The gas that keeps the streetlights bright is non poisonous and is attracting some of the flying jellyfishes of the area. You will often find one of them sucking on a lamp at night (I guess some of them aren't perfectly airtight) while enjoying the warmth at the same time."
Cheesy

I imagined it being said by placeholder person on the left, who is making a little money on the side by giving asset tours
RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: August 12, 2021, 12:33:55 AM »

I imagined it being said by placeholder person on the left, who is making a little money on the side by giving asset tours

Nice. That's a cool idea for a new game mode after you have finished the game once. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 12, 2021, 12:56:22 AM »

Sounds good Cheesy

Sorry, but it's all rigid ceramic or something. However I have more papery jellyfish-shaped lanterns in mind for the café with decorations (kind of like Christmas tree bulbs) on strings representing tentacles, that would move in the wind a bit like wind chimes. Turns out similar things already exist! https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/paper-lantern-jellyfish-shaped-hanged-in-porto-street-among-hous-gm868546844-145174927

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 12, 2021, 01:14:45 AM »

Well, then they're obviously making money giving asset tours to save up for some animation budget  Wink

edit: somehow I subconsciously speedread that the guy on the left was "rigid ceramic". Focus, Job, focus
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 12, 2021, 01:21:43 AM »

Kinda looks it, to be fair Giggle

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: August 16, 2021, 03:43:49 AM »

The Jelly lantern is a cool concept, makes me think of Stardew Valley's moonlight jellies Smiley I'm sure it will look great in your city!

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: August 16, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »

Your street lamp is beautiful  Tongue
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: August 18, 2021, 06:47:31 AM »

Wow, I adore this! Good job breaking through the shadows issue too Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

I make video/tabletop games and music!
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: August 24, 2021, 08:54:10 AM »

Nice to see your project going on and cool jellyfish lamp. I'm looking on that valve below and I'm wondering. When I turn the valve to full steam, will the lamp convert into jellyfish launcher? Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 02, 2021, 04:30:43 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

The Jelly lantern is a cool concept, makes me think of Stardew Valley's moonlight jellies Smiley

Oh, those are cute! Maybe we'll see something similar in this game…

When I turn the valve to full steam, will the lamp convert into jellyfish launcher? Smiley

That would be a good easter egg, like in Zelda!

Took a break. Decided a couple of days ago to try and set up a playground version of the game in Unity so that I can get some proper playtesting going much more quickly and then I'll transfer whatever sticks back into the real project, done properly. Pretty quick to set up since I'm able to just make simplified copies of systems I already made:

This version will stay blocky and programming can be quick and dirty without messing with the real codebase. Using ProBuilder (like a simple 3D modeller built into Unity) to extrude houses and such fast. Things like that.

Things like movement and camera will remain rough and I'll focus on the game loop itself. Time to figure out if the game is any fun, and rethink and quickly try again in this Unity testbed if not!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 02, 2021, 05:36:58 AM »

Good luck! Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the findings Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic