Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:28:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 97629 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2022, 02:54:45 AM »

Many thanks <3

OK, those NPC sliders are seriously cool. Is this that is only for yourself as the dev or would this functionality be in the actual game??

Just for me, all set up in Blender. Could absolutely export shape keys and use them in engine as well, but the current plan is to just export the "baked" result.

They look so blissfully happy in that last gif. Can I call them Buddha?

Won't fit for very long; hair and headgear and stuff coming up! Gomez

Did you have much trouble with dealing with blender armatures? I had trouble 10+ years ago but it's probably a thing of the past.

I recall having issues in the past too but it's been quite smooth this time. Not sure if it was Blender or I that got better Cheesy But it's been nice, works with the mirror modifier and everything as long as the bones are suffixed .L and .R etc.

Experimenting with an idea I've had forever of faking wind by vertex painting looseness onto cloth and moving the points in shader. It's all a little wonky at the moment but fun to try.

That is awesome! I am using a similar thing (a "looseness" texture) on my plants, where the stems have to move less than the leaves. I recently thought I could use the same code for hair and cloth and seeing this in your devlog makes me want to try it out right away!

Good luck, looking forward to it Grin

Also noticed I had subdivision and armature modifiers in the wrong order in Blender so I wasn't getting the same results in engine (testing in Unity here) and I'm going to have to redo some of the weight painting and perhaps a bit of the topology as well, wrists bend weirdly now for instance Sad

So here's some pictures of that…

1 is original state of armature before subsurf, so that the smoothing happens on the posed model instead of before posing.

2 is after changing their order so that Blender and engine results would be the same but it bends badly (arms foremost) because of interpolated weights onto the extra edge loop added in the middle of the forearm for example.

I tried all sorts, even sacrificing the procedural workflow to apply the subdivisions and then manually remove the extra problematic edge loops, but you can't do that without removing the shape keys, and when I found out it didn't really fix the result automagically anyway I decided not to go ahead and add all the shape keys back.

3 is then the result after sticking with the unapplied subsurf and just trying to fix it by adding some extra edge loops to control the interpolation cutoff points and redoing some of the weight painting. I'll work on it some more (I haven't touched the legs at all, as you can see) but I think this is the way to go. It doesn't have to be perfect anyway, between the messy watercolour style and clothes intended to cover most elbows and legs in the end.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #701 on: March 31, 2022, 10:33:42 PM »

I tried all sorts, even sacrificing the procedural workflow to apply the subdivisions and then manually remove the extra problematic edge loops, but you can't do that without removing the shape keys, and when I found out it didn't really fix the result automagically anyway I decided not to go ahead and add all the shape keys back.

3 is then the result after sticking with the unapplied subsurf and just trying to fix it by adding some extra edge loops to control the interpolation cutoff points and redoing some of the weight painting. I'll work on it some more (I haven't touched the legs at all, as you can see) but I think this is the way to go. It doesn't have to be perfect anyway, between the messy watercolour style and clothes intended to cover most elbows and legs in the end.

In my opinion dropping the procedural workflow does not seem necessary. The deformations seem fine now and as you say it surely will work perfectly fine with your texturing and post-processing.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 01, 2022, 05:09:09 AM »

Yeah, I got it to play more or less nicely in the end with some more poking Coffee

Last set of pics were orhographic, this one is not, in case it looks a little extra weird.

Again it's not perfect but it doesn't have to be~ Smiley Started moving on to the next thing, update on that soon hopefully!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 23, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »

Wanted to finish this before updating but it's gonna take a bit more time so here's some work in progress. Focussing on finishing up the model for now to finally have the game's first real character made after all this time Tears of Joy

Only the main robe currently has an image mapped to it and the rest is just solid colours, so hopefully the skin won't look like clay once I paint it properly. Mostly working out overall colours and shapes at the moment rather than actual textures. Gonna add a few more modelled details as well. And shoes!!

It's been a bit slow because I've only got in a little bit of time here and there. I seem to be picking the pace back up now that something to show for it is finally coming along.

Hopefully anybody who's been following the thread for a while now will know who this is Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 23, 2022, 04:51:21 PM »

This looks so good! What a huge transformation from the old pills. For simple characteristics and colors, it has so much personality. Love it!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 24, 2022, 01:28:39 PM »

Not sure if sweetheart or Dolores Umbridge :p
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 25, 2022, 04:40:31 AM »

This looks so good! What a huge transformation from the old pills. For simple characteristics and colors, it has so much personality. Love it!

Thank you!! <3

Not sure if sweetheart or Dolores Umbridge :p

We shall see Blink

RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: April 25, 2022, 07:45:33 AM »

Oh, the character model looks awesome. Nice clothes, cool hair, fancy hat and... evil black eyes that stare right into your soul.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 25, 2022, 07:58:50 AM »

Thanks! Kiss Do you think the eyes need some changes? Blink

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: April 25, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »

Depends... If this is the way this species looks, then it's fine. If the player sees one with such eyes for the first time, questions might arise. Smiley
She does not look overly evil and it seems to be part of the design. Maybe it even looks better than normal eyes. I'd just do a quick test with different eye textures.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 25, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »

Haha. Well, every character in this game will have the same kind at least. I like the idea of keeping the eyes simple.

If it helps, here's the face now much more properly textured. And lips! But still WIP. Ignore the feet Cheesy

Might do the Wind Waker thing and draw eyes and brows on top of hair too.

submergedtapes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: April 25, 2022, 11:57:21 PM »

Excited to have just discovered this project! I love the concept, and the artstyle looks gorgeous so far, looking forward to seeing more Smiley

Jake Gaule - Sound Design & Music

https://submergedtapes.com/

Music:
https://sbmrgd.bandcamp.com/

Twitter:
@submergedtapes

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10448890/
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: April 26, 2022, 04:07:39 AM »

Looking great so far, especially the hair and hat really fit your game's style already. My two cents would be that some simple asymmetries in the clothing could go a long way to give her even more character.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 26, 2022, 06:29:27 AM »

Thank you two! Asymmetries coming up, got some stuff to attach to the belt on one side for instance Smiley

Also figured out how to preview with eyes and brows rendered on top of hair in Blender, whaddaya think?

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: April 26, 2022, 11:03:23 PM »

I like that you draw the brows on top of the hair. Little details like that go a long way for me. I also thought about the black eyes a bit. They give me a doll vibe and I think that is nice. If this is the way all eyes are in your world (as RealScaniX said), I think this is a unique touch.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:53:20 AM by Alain » Logged

RealScaniX
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #715 on: April 27, 2022, 12:41:29 AM »

I second the asymmetry thing.

And... I don't think it is helpful, but I've just now remembered something from Coraline where the otherworld twin of her mother had buttons instead of normal eyes.
Yeah, not helpful. :D

Character and face looking great, though. I think the eyes will work fine like this.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 27, 2022, 01:58:48 AM »

Oh, but I love Coraline and the scary button eyes! Cheesy But yeah, I don't want these characters to be (too) creepy. But I do want the game to feel a bit dreamy, ephemeral, like an incomplete memory. Tough balance. I'll try and ask some more people about the eyes to see what the majority opinion is, really appreciate everyone's (varied!) viewpoints, so thank you both <3

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: April 27, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »

Looks great! I'm a bit torn on the eyes. The black with white dot pupils is definitely striking, but I don't think it inherently warrants a re-design or anything. Are the pupils going to move in any animations? I think seeing that motion (or lack thereof O_O) would help with evaluating the design.

I make video/tabletop games and music!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 27, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »

Thanks! Definitely want motion in there, both moving to show where they're looking as well as squinting and things like that.

I guess I've been looking at these eyes for too long myself, they just feel normal to me Blink Did you feel the same way about the eyes back when I was just showing a grey person without the full character designs?

ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: April 28, 2022, 06:55:28 AM »

Did you feel the same way about the eyes back when I was just showing a grey person without the full character designs?

Interesting! I had to go back to look, but yeah to me the eyes felt more normal then. Even moreso when they were still capsules. Maybe it's a color thing? Have you tried white with black/colored pupils?

For what it's worth, I don't feel that strongly about it one way or another. I see it as just a striking (neutral/positive) design choice.

I make video/tabletop games and music!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic