Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:33:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAo
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41
Print
Author Topic: Ao  (Read 98060 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: August 29, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »

This looks amazing, masterful Dear ImGui usage as always!

I don't know if you've mentioned this before but how long do you expect the timeline to be?

Hope whatever you are going through improves soon Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 29, 2022, 11:24:39 AM »

Thanks for keeping us posted and there is no need to always be super social. Take your coding time, we won't go anywhere Wink

Hey Prinsessa, stay off-grid as long as you need! Prioritize yourself.

What the other guys said: thanks for the update, and definitely take care of yourself first. Sorry to hear things are rough IRL, hope you'll get into calmer waters soon!

Wishing you the best!

Hope whatever you are going through improves soon Coffee

Hey, everyone. Thanks again for being great <3

Still can't get over how much I like your schedule editor.

This looks amazing, masterful Dear ImGui usage as always!

This all looks/sounds great Hand Thumbs Up Right

Wooh, glad you like it! Smiley

I don't know if you've mentioned this before but how long do you expect the timeline to be?

Ohh, difficult to say. It's going to be in real time, but only play out in the evening during the sunset before the flood. I want to try and keep it somewhat short but with lots of simultaneous goings-on. But of course all the story beats need time to happen too.

I think my current idea is between half an hour and an hour.

One of my friends who has been developing his game for several years on his own recently went through this same process for a few months. He wasn't exactly excited about it because it doesn't always feel like 'progress' or even things he can show, but it has really paid off with a much more stable and optimized experience for both him as the developer and the eventual players. So I think this is a great approach, especially if you're really in the mood to program. Good luck!

Thank you! Hope it works out for me too Shocked

So I did spend about a month after that post working on it and it went quite well. Not really update material but some highlights for the record and for the interested:

• I learnt (a fair amount of) another graphics API since OpenGL is too weird to be a good basis for an abstraction.

• I think I got graphics and logic on separate threads working.

• In general the code is a lot easier to work with and extend.

What I haven't done yet is integrate it. I wrote it as a completely standalone project that I'm going to use as a library in the engine.

So for now it's one of those classic examples of a textured triangle that looks unimpressive but represents a lot, in this case support for shaders, buffers and all sorts of stuff in both OpenGL and Metal (using the same GLSL shader that gets converted into MSL) Giggle The plan is to keep using my existing systems for gathering render data but pass it to this new backend instead of the old one and it should magically work. It can render one triangle, but also many!

It has of course been more than one month since the post and I haven't really touched programming related to the game since then. I did learn Godot which was fun but not relevant here. Very tired of code again at the moment. Been working on world building stuff but not so much for the game itself as for its own sake—it's nice to have more of but doesn't do much for making progress on the game per se Huh? It has however started to inspire me to get more done on the actual writing. We'll see.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: December 01, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »

When I read about your programming knowledge I feel like a school boy :D

Been working on world building stuff but not so much for the game itself as for its own sake—it's nice to have more of but doesn't do much for making progress on the game per se Huh?

You don't always have to make progress on the game itself. It seems like you were having fun exploring new things and that is amazing.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: December 02, 2022, 05:41:06 AM »

It always starts with triangle ( although my game started with checkerboard Grin ). I'm wondering what's that "another graphics API"? And I can't stop wonder, how you're skilled in both programming and art. Rare to see. My Word!

I can consider myself good programmer, but my art is on level of 6-7 years old school-boy.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 04, 2022, 02:23:17 AM »

Hey, you manage to do quite a lot with geometric minimalism vdapps Smiley
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: December 04, 2022, 10:02:33 AM »

Been working on world building stuff but not so much for the game itself as for its own sake—it's nice to have more of but doesn't do much for making progress on the game per se Huh?

I know that feeling, a lot of the work I've been doing lately is tied to other things I have to do but doesn't feel like its helping move the 'game itself' forward. I think this is just part of the life of an indie gamedev where you have to wear a lot of hats. If I'm going to start working on SFX, or try to get video capture for a teaser trailer, or start writing dialogue--everything else has to stop. All par for the course. 

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 18, 2022, 05:52:48 AM »

When I read about your programming knowledge I feel like a school boy :D

It always starts with triangle ( although my game started with checkerboard Grin ). I'm wondering what's that "another graphics API"? And I can't stop wonder, how you're skilled in both programming and art. Rare to see. My Word!

Well, I didn't know most of this new stuff before that month either; half the time was spent reading and testing Cheesy

API in question was Metal! I double checked that Vulkan and Direct3D work roughly the same way (and they do). Main point was just to understand how a "modern" API works to design my code around, and since I'm on a Mac, Metal is just there and easy to access, but I'm still going to mainly be using OpenGL~

I can consider myself good programmer, but my art is on level of 6-7 years old school-boy.
Hey, you manage to do quite a lot with geometric minimalism vdapps Smiley

Indeed! Kiss

You don't always have to make progress on the game itself. It seems like you were having fun exploring new things and that is amazing.

I know that feeling, a lot of the work I've been doing lately is tied to other things I have to do but doesn't feel like its helping move the 'game itself' forward. I think this is just part of the life of an indie gamedev where you have to wear a lot of hats. If I'm going to start working on SFX, or try to get video capture for a teaser trailer, or start writing dialogue--everything else has to stop. All par for the course.

Agree with you both. Just don't want to lay it out in detail it in the devlog since it's sort of its own thing Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 18, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »

Characters

So, yeah, detailed world building updates aren't necessarily relevant to this devlog, unless they have to do directly with the game, and some stuff has been trickling down lately so here goes.

Slight spoiler warning: will be offering some basic info on some characters, some of which you're meant to figure out through gameplay, but nothing too revelational; still keeping the big secrets to myself Ninja

Sketches below are variously my own and my partner's, all seen at some point before in the devlog.

SMB Castle Flag Some cultural background

In the previous post about the town's culture I talked about "anchors", basically what people choose to devote themselves to. Doing so is quite a big deal and so drives many character motivations and interactions.

Because "anchor" is itself such a role, and different words are used anyway, I'll differentiate the roles as "anchorings".

Anchoring names

In that post was some info on ceremonies, and it was mentioned that "there is no difference between titles and names". Because an anchoring is a personal choice, of course that name is not with one since birth; it is instead chosen in conjunction with another ceremony just for that individual.

Other names

Besides the "anchoring name" there are also "first names" (since childhood), nicknames, and so on. People may also be relationally referred to by a derived form of their parents' anchoring name.

Spelling

I'm thinking of good anglicisations for the names to be covered (we've already seen Atwa for the first one) but for now characters will be presented by the forms I use myself.

Cave Story Anchor

I've covered the coordinator Ảhdo before. This name is the one that itself simply means "anchor", helping others with their own anchorings, and coordinating the town.

This is one of a few special roles that usually only one individual holds at a time, and for which it's traditional just to inherit the name rather than to personalise one.

You'll be seeing them all around town in the flashbacks as well as in reality as your early game companion.

In an anchor ceremony, alongside the name, one also gets some fancy jewellery associated with it, like these literal anchor ear rings.

Cave Story Nettle

Our Anchor has a just about grown up child (~18) yet to take an anchor and anchor name. Lately plays solo music in the town square café, but at the time of the game this person has been missing for a few days and people are starting to worry.

Being a bit stubborn, is nicknamed Nȧh meaning nettle, clipped from their first name Ảbmah.

Cave Story Florist

Our Anchor also has a good friend in this similarly-aged plant fan, anchor-named Bonsa, who lives and mainly tends to their craft in a house on the town square. Bit sickly and coughing as of late.

This is the one who early on in the flashback unfortunately passes away and for whom a ceremony is held near the end of the timeline before the flood washes over the town.

The flowery house.

Cave Story Bee

The florist too has a nearly grown child, not just at Nettle's age, but also their best friend. First-named Bonse which hardly lends itself to nicknames and barely differs from the parent's name, while feeling pressured to step into their shoes, this person feels lost.

Quarrels with Bonsa over this, and one such argument is one of the first things we see in the game.

Still doesn't know what anchoring to take and feels stressed out as peers are starting to do so. Currently helping out at the café since Nettle is there as well as their mutual good friend whose recent choice of anchoring is to run the place. Does not wish to remain there either but wants to strike out on their own. But how?

Cave Story Baker

Said café friend. Possibly a year older at most. Has formed a bit of a trio with Nettle and Bee since childhood, also losing sight in one eye at that age after a physical disagreement with another kid whom the three still avoid to this day.

As mentioned, has only recently gone through their anchor ceremony to take over the café. Anchoring name might be Mehwa. We shall see.

The café.

Cave Story Banjo

Their nickname Ảyyal refers to a stringed instrument which isn't quite a banjo but I think it's funny Cheesy This is the person responsible for the other character's eye. Plays the same instrument as Nettle and the two used to do so together as children, with a friendship emerging only to be cut short because of this.

Still misses the trio and doesn't feel quite at home in current company with some other musicians and youngsters who like to hang out in the park gazebo. They don't even know this poor soul's actual first name! No anchoring yet.

Musical gang in the gazebo, Ảhdo walking past.

Cave Story Carver

A woodworker who chops wood and carves it. Made some of the furniture for the café. During the game is bringing some firewood for the big bonfire shrine (mee) at the middle of the town square and proceeds to lend a strong arm to the movement of export goods between docks.

In a relationship with a school teacher who previously had two young children with someone who harvests kelp by the harbour. Is thus step parent to those. We'll be seeing all of these characters in the game.

Not sure about anchoring name yet; considering Bodsa but it's a bit close to some of the other names.

Cave Story Steamer

A locomotive driver in their fifties or so. Anchoring name Donsa. Bit hip, happy to see people and places all along the railroads, get immersed, bring the latest and greatest back home. Knows folks everywhere.

Drives the train into town at the beginning of the game's flashbacks and spends some time showing off in the café before a sudden change in the schedule leads to an evening of loading crates from a visiting ship onto the train and heading back out before the timeline ends.

Train leaving town across the big bridge.

Cave Story Kindler

An elderly person anchoring-named Mahda. Responsible for town lighting. Walks around with a funny sort of cane with a claw on the end for opening and reaching into the little cabinets at the bases of the lamp posts and to turn the valves inside to let the gas in. Can also reach up and open the glass to inspect the lamp itself in case of issues. In addition maintains all the piping below that provides said gas.

During the flashbacks in the game we'll be seeing this character doing the rounds, lighting up the square as darkness falls, and noticing some oddities as the eve progresses.

Cave Story Sailor

A small-scale importer-exporter of equally small stature. I haven't decided on name(s) yet.

Takes their boat around the sea trading in fruit above all else and on this fateful eve is bringing some back to the café before heading to the smaller docks to receive some goods from a visiting ship.

When first sailing into town at the beginning of the timeline, seems to spot a mysterious light in the water and proceeds to be laughed at raving about it in the café.

Cave Story Birdie

Another familiar face since early on in the devlog. This old person is one of the first we'll meet and important to the game by providing us with a flashback of almost everything that went on by the town square throughout the timeline, spending the evening feeding birds by the fountain.

That is of course their anchoring, hanging out with the birds in town and keeping them fed and healthy in winter, with safe places to raise their young in spring. They will occasionally return the favour by taking a letter to some destination through the air, which is precisely what we see as Ảhdo hands over an urgent note.

Unsure about name but might be another -nsa name like Gansa (-nsa is a very common element, as you can see) but in the interest of distinguishing names a little better I'll be looking at some options.

I'll leave it here for today. This was a lot, yet only about half of the characters I've started detailing so far. The rest have neither names nor sketches yet so will cover those another time. I guess it's becoming obvious that the café is the place to be to find out about people in this town Grin

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: December 18, 2022, 09:36:20 PM »

I always love when you show some of the pencil drawings that are the foundation of your workflow. I also think it is wonderful you are creating such an extensive cultural background for your characters and game in general. Looking forward to more great progress next year Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 19, 2022, 12:40:05 PM »

Yeah, what Alain said!

I am so looking forward to immersing myself in the mood of this game. The way you describe how you do your worldbuilding feels like it will have this cohesive, organic feeling to it that will make the whole thing come to life.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 20, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »

Thank you two! It's really starting to come alive in my head, so I hope I can keep transmitting it out of there into something concrete Cheesy

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: December 22, 2022, 09:40:21 AM »

Awesome new devlog! It's so cool to see the first sketches and its pretty amazing how much your in-game art mirrors the sketching you're doing. Its all translating really well in-game. The lore is wonderful! I appreciate how many characters you're doing, my project is at 25+ now and its SO much work to try and create distinctive characters, backgrounds, personalities and voices for each. Huge undertaking (so you have my sympathy and encouragement haha) but I think you'll find its worth the effort in creating a world that feels big and alive.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 22, 2022, 12:48:58 PM »

Thank you!!

I appreciate how many characters you're doing, my project is at 25+ now and its SO much work to try and create distinctive characters, backgrounds, personalities and voices for each. Huge undertaking (so you have my sympathy and encouragement haha) but I think you'll find its worth the effort in creating a world that feels big and alive.

Yes! I suppose my core gameplay (making connections) encourages coming up with all sorts too. At this point I try to make every writing decision count as much for that as for the story (want both to be good), but I'm also still baffled that initial random choices ended up fitting really well into the narrative as it developed Shocked

We're at a similar amount of characters then, and that's definitely one part I'm enjoying reading about in your devlog too!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 27, 2022, 07:22:33 PM »

Street

Hope everyone's holidays are good so far Smiley

Been doing some more back and forth writing and world building since last time. Appa now has its first somewhat detailed street.

Thought I'd do something more than just a hasty sketch for once. This was actually done digitally on top of a photographed hand sketch and manipulated to get the watercolour look.

Previously

However you may remember this from very early on which is an actual watercolour painting and which actually looks through a gate up this very street, just long before I had any idea of what it might look like:

Both paintings were based on the old 3D blockout of the town, now updated for the most recent depiction.

Houses on front

This street is in the artisan quarter near the secondary downtown area, just across the a bridge from the square, which fits fewer buildings, so most trades are not based there.

These houses in particular hold those who craft things through heat, tempering softened materials into hardened goods. Might be anglicised to something like Anneal street.

From left to right we have:

• Ceramics
  • Glass
  • Locks and keys
  • Piping

There is also a house behind the leftmost one, its roof's silhouette visible, yet to be decided on.

Workshop in back

Behind all the houses, not seen in the concept art, is a big shared space with furnaces and the like, with tall chimneys rising. This is also outlined without details. A water wheel is connected to drive machinery, and there is a platform for small boats to carry wares and equipment to and fro.

Relevance

This isn't just for show, but several things have been written into the story of the past timeline that take place on or around this street, involving some of the houses and their occupants and so on, and things finally fell enough into place that I wanted to design the place somewhat.

For example, the "kindler" character Mahda described in the last update lives in the rightmost house. Turning lights on for the night is only a small part of the day, and there are otherwise pipes to maintain, replace, and add.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: December 29, 2022, 01:21:14 AM »

Really like the watercolor look!
How do you keep track of all of the world-building? I've always avoided too much of it, as I just don't know how I would manage it.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 30, 2022, 05:54:46 AM »

Really like the watercolor look!

Thank you! Smiley

How do you keep track of all of the world-building? I've always avoided too much of it, as I just don't know how I would manage it.

Kinda spread out. Just using what makes sense for different things, so there's story and ideas in regular documents/notes, the timeline in a spreadsheet, the town 3D blockout in Blender, sketches as images in a folder…

Then I'm using the "design model" feature of HacknPlan which is basically a little hierarchical wiki with one entry for each character, place, etc. with description, pictures, links to other entries, and so on:

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: December 30, 2022, 11:43:13 PM »

Then I'm using the "design model" feature of HacknPlan which is basically a little hierarchical wiki with one entry for each character, place, etc. with description, pictures, links to other entries, and so on:

The design model is such a great feature and I use it for all documentation. I have been using HnP for over a year now and if I am not mistaken it was after you recommended it!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 03, 2023, 11:51:36 AM »

The design model is such a great feature and I use it for all documentation. I have been using HnP for over a year now and if I am not mistaken it was after you recommended it!

Nice! Yeah, it's really neat Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 03, 2023, 12:19:30 PM »

Happy new year!

This isn't quite an update but just some stuff in between…

Not super happy with this painting. Feels messy, colours all over the place, but I don't want to spend more time on it Tongue But hopefully helps you see a bit more of the town. You can see the tips of the houses on the street from the previous post sticking up on the left. On the right is the park with its gazebo.

SMB Question Some plans

Time to get back to making a game!

Under the hood

Like I said, I spent a little bit of time redoing some long overdue low level code before "it really comes back to bite me".

It needs to be finished and get integrated back into the main codebase eventually, but the main point is I know how things are going to work now, so I can just bear that in mind while working more on the game, and leave that for later.

Back on schedule

Returning to the game itself, most of the systems have really been working since quite early on in the thread, and of course the NPC schedules are more data than code, so I think I'm mostly set to just try and get some of my writing into the game finally so that I can start playtesting some of it.

The mega spreadsheet~

I just need to do some final adjustments to the reworked schedule code (changed quite a bit after the recent prototype) and then it's time to use the timeline editor I made, adding things as needed along the way!

It's going to be in blockout fashion still, but this time I'll be using the base human model I made, adjusting the proportions to each character and adding some quick detail to recognise each one by like I did with the hats on the capsules in the Unity prototype.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: January 03, 2023, 08:53:28 PM »

Happy new year to you as well! It's cool you took the time to make the painting, it sets a beautiful atmosphere. I'm wondering how you made it, to me it feels like it is analog & scanned.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic