Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:50:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDark Spasm : The last humanoid - Demo version is released !
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dark Spasm : The last humanoid - Demo version is released !  (Read 1756 times)
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »

I was making a 2D shooter called Pod Guardian, But suddenly I got interested in 3D and decided to temporally stop Pod Guardian and make an experimental 3D shooter. I wanted to make Wolfenstein 3D style shooter, which doesn't have Z-axis(or Y, based on the way the game is programmed.) involved in the gameplay. I like simple games but 3D games are usually beyond simple, But Games like Wolfenstein 3D are simple to play without Z-axis and I like that. What i'm making is a kind of 3D berzerk, I used to imagine playing berzerk in 3D perspective.

Since I don't know anything about 3D, I searched for 3D tutorials on youtube to make it and This is the current state.

- characters drawn in 2D sprites, with different images based on where they are looking. It seems today's most indie doom-style games just make the enemies always face to the player, so I tried a different way.

- Third person camera. I like Third person view over First, It gives less motion sickness and I can actually see my character's hitbox.

- moving and shooting.

- Enemy AI. Enemies have limited sight, So they don't know you when you are at their back unless you shoot your gun and make sounds. You can attack them from behind to kill them safer, I want to make this feature as one of the important strategies in this game.

- Attack indicator, similar to the one from the old adventure game Fade To Black. It will always be available in easy mode and would require an item to use in higher difficulties.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:53:14 PM by hijong park » Logged
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 11:06:14 PM »

- Added 2 new enemies, I'll keep adding more.

- Enemies can kill each other like Berzerk, and they take more damage when they are attacked from behind. The player will do as well, so You have to avoid getting attacked from behind.

- Added more weapons.

1.Blaster : basic weapon with infinite ammo. has slow projectile speed and the damage decreases in long distance. Best for mid range combat with normal enemies.

2.Silenced Zapper : Hit-scan laser gun with Silencer. The damage is weak, but you can snipe the enemies without making other enemies notice you.

3.Dual Zapper : Rapid firing Zappers without Silencer. The fast firerate speed can continously stun the enemies, but The damage is same as Silenced zapper. Good for small but fast enemies or running away from enemies while stunning them.

4.Screw Rifle : Fires projectiles in very fast firerate speed. The projectile is stronger than Blaster and doesn't have damage drop off based on the distance. Recommended for dangerous situations as The ammo won't always be adundant.

5.Rocket Launcher : Generic rocket launcher. just be careful not to kill yourself with explosion.

I'll add one more weapon that would be the strongest one later. Some weapons might be changed if they don't work well.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 01:44:26 AM »

- New weapons :

Plasma spear : Uses 5 energy per shot and fires 3 bullets. If you hit all 3 bullets, It deals more damage than firing 5 screwrifle shots.

Homing Shoulder cannon : Fires fast, homing missiles. the missiles are weaker than rockets and has smaller splash area, so You shouldn't use it too frequently or you'll run out of explosives.

- Items :

Repair kit : heals the player when Hp is lower than 100.

Armor : absorbs 1/3 of the damage.

Super armor : absorbs 1/2 of the damage.

Energy drink : increases 1 HP, 200 at max

Heart of the hummanoid : add 100 HP, 200 at max.

Ultra life saver : Super armor + heart of the humanoid X 2

Backpack : expands ammo capacity.

Evil sphere : become Invinsible for 30 seconds.

Berzerk sphere : deals double damage for 30 seconds.

- New enemies :

Security drone : weakest enemy in this game.

Swarmer : annoying little orbs who moves in swarm.

Mother of Swarmers : Pain elemental wanna-be. spawns Swarmers to the player and leave 4 Swarmers when died.

kamikaze : approaches to the player and then self-destruct itself.

Stealth kamikaze : invisible kamikaze.

Skull warrior : fires homing missiles.

Brain lord : a high-tier enemy who absorbs the player's health. Their attack ignores armor and they can still attack you when there's an enemy in their line of sight. Also they are immune to zappers.

I decided to make 2 modes in this game, one would play like Wolfentein 3D and the other one would be a 3D-version of berzerk, where you run around the maze and kill enemies until death. I made a basic berzerk-style maze generator that would be used in that arcade mode.

Also, I made the objects to be invisible when they are not shown in the camera or shaded by walls for optimization.

Now I need robotic voices to make the enemies speak, I want a very robotic voice like Berzerk does but I can't find any decent ones. TTS software voices are just cringe.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 06:03:02 AM »

Currently I'm having a hard time optimizing blocks for the campaign levels and still couldn't solve it, so I temporally stopped making campaign mode and worked on arcade mode first, which doesn't require lots of blocks and map size.

Today I tweaked the berzerk-style maze generator. The way it generates the mazes is similar to the original berzerk, explained in this link:http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/home/games/berzerk/mazegenerator/
currently it's totally unbalanced and still need lots of works.

Like berzerk, There are 65,536 kinds of mazes in the game and they are generated based on the coordinates of the maze. This means that you can see the exactly same maze layout if you circle around the maze, like 1:40 and 4:48 in the video.

The objective of arcade mode is simple. you run around the mazes for the impossible escape while looking for items or killing enemies on the way. if you leave the maze, you'll get some extra supplies between the mazes. Killing all enemies in the maze will give you more supplies.

I added other new features too:

- I'm adding robot voices with FLstudio. It sounds great.

- Player's death : Like Doom, Different texts will appear based on what have killed the player..

- Super Frenzy bot : This enemy will be the boss of the first episode and strong regular enemy in later episodes, if the campaign mode will be a thing. It has lots of health and take only half damge from rockets.

- Puzzle elements:

1.Moving pad : automically moves the player

2.Explosive barrels

3.Reflect wall : Energy bullets will be bounced by these walls.

4.Locked doors and switch. Switch would active many other objects in the maps.

I made these things for the campaign because It would be boring if campaigh is just all about shooting. But If I can't make the campaign, These objects won't be used. I'm currently trying to draw blocks with vertex buffer.

Planned works : More enemies, The strongest 8th weapon, fixing soundeffects and applying 3D sound because it's currently noisy as hell.
filbs111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »

This looks fantastic! I don't often see 3d-ifying of such old games. Seems to work really well.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 06:34:48 AM »

- Added Title screen. When starting the game, You can select the starting episode and adjust difficulty settings.
The game offers several gameplay options for more various difficulty. For example, If you want to make the enemy tougher but don't want to care about ammos, you can Increase The Enemy level and enable double ammo or item respawn.

- Added new weapon : BHC-2099. It's a BFG-style energy weapon. When you press the mouse, It will start charging the energy ball and then fire it If you release the mouse or charge it to max. Charging it to max dears more damage, but requires more ammo.

- Added sub items :
1. Map scanner : displays the map on the screen, There's no fog of war, I have no idea how to make it.

2. Field scanner : This scanner displays enemies on the map scanner, and reveals invisible triggers, hidden walls, and invisible kamikaze. It can be useful to find secrets or traps but requires a battery to use.

3. Overclocker : This item increases your movement speed and weapons' firerate speed for 15 seconds. It can be useful for the group of enemies in the opened area.

- Added New enemy : Spiter. They fire fast projectiles and try to avoid the player's bullets. Also they take only half damage from energy bullets, so rockets are more effective to them. They drop energy pack when destroyed.

- Added Captured Humanoids. You have save them all to achieve 100% in campaign levels, as well as killing all enemies and finding all secrets.

- Added Floor / celling.

- Added Aim correction. I think auto aim is important for a fast-phased 3D shooter.

The game is now prepared to make campaign levels!
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »

- Added Walking.

- Walls are now drown with vertex buffer instead of d3d. I had a very very hard time implementing it, but It was worth the time. The game now runs much more smoother and I can make campaigh levels with no slowdown issues.

- Mid and high-tier Enemies now predict the player's movement. You can't avoid their bullets by just strafing, so you must take cover or trick the enemies with complicated movements.

- Added Secondary fire for weapons.

Blaster : reload the blaster

Twin zapper : Fire two zappers at once. The firerate is slower than primary fire but it's more accurate.

Screwrifle : Fires hyper phaser which is a hitscan attack. Useful for sniping.

Plasma rifle : Fires 1 faster bullet. It's not as powerful as clean hit of primary fire, but it can penetrate multiple enemies.

Rocket Launcher : launches Sliding bombs which has weaker direct damage but wider splash damage range and doesn't colide with walls. You can use it like a hand grenade.

Homing Shoulder cannon : Fires two missiles at once.

- Added new enemies :

Berzerk commander : This enemy is the upgraded version of berzerker. they are much faster and can predict player's movement, and smart enough to avoid player's bullets or take cover. fighting them with blaster can be very hard for these reasons, but they are weak at unavoidable weapons like Zapper or Homing shoulder cannon.

Intruder slayer : another high-tier enemy. their patterns aren't that special, but they have the largest health compared to all the other regular enemies and their bullets are deadly. If you don't have armor, 2 hits will instantly kill you.

- Made The First level of the first episode ! Originally the map was much bigger and complicated, but I scaled it down as the first map shouldn't be too big. But I still leaved many secrets for serious players.

- Added proper proression in the arcade mode. It's still not perfect and will be improved later.

Currently the maze simply increases the number of the enemies, but I'm planning to add special rooms like completely opened arenas or specific enemy waves. Also The maze will change its color based on the location, so it would feel like you are exploring the giant dungeon.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

this looks amazing
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:49:53 AM »

The exam is ended and i'm back to work.

- The maze arena now has various wall textures thanks to the maze algorithm used in berzerk roguelike.

- Added Master Labyrinet who currently appears in The maze arena as an Evil otto wanna-be. He will be the final boss in the campaign.

- Almost Completed Episode 1. Each episode has 8 regular levels, one boss level and the secret level. It still need some more tests and tweaks. I'll have to add various floor textures as well.

- Added cheats.

- Added particles when characters are damaged.

I'm planning to upload the demo version when episode 2 is completed.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »

welcome back. this looks like your best game yet.
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »

This indeed looks cool! A combination of some old school pixel art game and 3d shooter)

hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »

Today, I have finished Episode 2! There are other changes as well:

- Added score.

- Added more details to the player's sprites.

- Added Crosshair.

I'll release the test version after some playtesting and more polishing.

Now I have to The final episode, but Unfortunately The game had came to the point where it can't be optimized anymore. The levels are suppossed to get bigger in the later episodes, but game maker simply can't take it all. I'm afraid that the levels in the third episode would feel quite lackluster compared to one and two.

If I make another 3D game with GM:S, I'll try a simple arena shooter or space combat simulator like Star raiders instead. Not only It would require a lot less objects in the levels, I prefer opened arena or space combat over Hand-crafted levels.
hijong park
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »

https://gamejolt.com/games/darkspasm/418020

The demo version of dark spasm is now available !
Demo version has 2 episodes (18 regular levels and 2 secret levels) and no background musics.

Play this Demo version and share your opinions about it, That might be helpful to improve this game.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »

I can't play it yet but I am really excited. Congratulations on your first 3D game.
filbs111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »

This is great. I died on level 2, but will try again.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic